Travel

Bahamas going back into lockdown and restricting tourism due to significant increase in covid19 cases

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2020 2:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes

Bahamas going back into lockdown and restricting tourism due to significant increase in covid19 cases

https://www.traveloffpath.com/bahamas-b ... -in-cases/

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronaviru ... story.html

Bahamas opened tourism on July 1 and they are now implementing lockdowns and pretty much shutting down tourism again

They really didn't think it through with allowing US residents to travel there

Canadians can still go with a negative covid19 test though

Prime Minister Hubert Minnis held a press conference today, July 19, to update Bahamians and tourists on the current state of affairs and major changes he is making to protect the country.

One of the most drastic updates he is making, effective Wednesday July 22, 2020, is to ban ALL international flights except for those coming from Canada, the UK and nations within the EU.

This travel ban will most greatly affect travelers from the USA, who have been permitted to travel to the island since its reopening on July 1st. //

The new orders also close all beaches and parks and ban indoor dining, weddings, funerals, religious services and sporting events in Grand Bahama.

A daily 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew for Grand Bahama will also start Monday. All other Bahamian islands still have a 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew. The Bahamas Royal Police will enforce the curfews, closures and quarantine requirements, Minnis said.
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20245 posts
13569 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Not terribly surprising. What was surprising was that they didn't put any thought into limiting access before opening things up.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3865 upvotes
How do you get a test in canada for traveling. Unlike EU where you can go buy one, i thought Canada does it by need only, and they might not even give you a print of the result unless i guess you request a disclosure of information
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: How do you get a test in canada for traveling. Unlike EU where you can go buy one, i thought Canada does it by need only, and they might not even give you a print of the result unless i guess you request a disclosure of information
At least in Ontario, you can get a test just by going to one of the many testing centres and the results are online and you just print it

Wife has had it twice to go-to clinics and etc that required it from her . I've done it once since I was there with the wife and figured might as well.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22288 posts
20908 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Cannot say I am surprised ...

After seeing the somewhat aggressive marketing campaign that the likes of Sandals is running for “In Times Like These”
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/nosq/sandals-re ... like-these

I saw that ad on tv and thought...
There you go ... the US folks will soon be travelling to all the Caribbean Islands again en masse
And what was a cruise ship Covid problem ... will now become an AI / land based Covid problem
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3865 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: At least in Ontario, you can get a test just by going to one of the many testing centres and the results are online and you just print it

Wife has had it twice to go-to clinics and etc that required it from her . I've done it once since I was there with the wife and figured might as well.
No need to call in advance and book? You can just show up? I think in BC i can't do that
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: No need to call in advance and book? You can just show up? I think in BC i can't do that
No need to call or book in advance or anything like that. Just drop by a testing center (usually outside a hospital) .

I think there are certain places where you do need to make an appt , but I don't know where they are, Im guessing in smaller communities where they don't get enough volume to have a dedicated testing center setup outside ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5313 posts
7630 upvotes
Ontario
Island of Bryan films in the Bahamas. Just checked the Caerula Mar Club Resort website-not taking new bookings until Oct. 24, 2020.
https://www.caerulamar.com/covid-19/
Ube pie-yum! It coordinates with Pantone's colour of the year for 2022.😃
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22288 posts
20908 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ciel wrote: Island of Bryan films in the Bahamas. Just checked the Caerula Mar Club Resort website-not taking new bookings until Oct. 24, 2020.
https://www.caerulamar.com/covid-19/
Lol, we watch that show too
The Baeumier’s announced on social media back in March that they were shutting down the resort until further notice
And going to shelter in place in the Bahamas
Based on Bryan’s twitter feed ...
No change since then

But it certainly is a good Twitter to follow
If you are looking for a bit of an escape from the drudgery here at home in Ontario
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3800 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: No need to call or book in advance or anything like that. Just drop by a testing center (usually outside a hospital) .

I think there are certain places where you do need to make an appt , but I don't know where they are, Im guessing in smaller communities where they don't get enough volume to have a dedicated testing center setup outside ?
In Ontario, you can make an appointment at for example Michael Garron Hospital, but not at Sunnybrook Hospital. At Michael Garron you can just walk-in but appointments are seen first. Michael Garron also allows visitors to enter the hospital with patients who have to go to the ER but at Sunnybrook visitors are not allowed (there are exceptions but not because you want to accompany someone or there are language issues).

We went to Sunnybrook's ER specifically because of the no visitors policy - last thing we needed was 4 member sof a family tagging along for moral support and all of them sitting the the waiting room next to my husband.

I waited outside while my husband was seen by the triage nurse and then admitted where he stayed for 6 nights. Not a time when you want to go to the hospital - it was pretty empty. My husband did have to be tested of course as are all people who go to the ER - he was NEGATIVE which we were 99.9% sure of, but it is still a worry due to the ramifications, particularly when he needed emergency surgery. I suppose if you have to go to the hospital during COVID, this is the time to go. Next we have the follow-ups. And he thought he was far too old for what ailed him! I was right about the diagnosis, but he was right about being kind of old.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Bahamas is open to US tourism again but with strict conditions like negative pcr test from a CDC accredited lab, 2 week quarantine and another negative test at end of quarantine

Would similar measures work for Canada if we open back up to arrivals from elsewhere?
The Bahamas are once again welcoming American travelers to visit the islands, but only if they can provide a negative COVID-19 test and agree to a two-week quarantine. The reversal was announced by the island nation on Friday, July 31, 2020

The Bahamas are once again welcoming American travelers to visit the islands, but only if they can provide a negative COVID-19 test and agree to a two-week quarantine. The reversal was announced by the island nation on Friday, July 31, 2020

To apply for the new visa requirement, flyers must submit a completed RT-PCR test within 10 days from when it was taken. Novel Coronavirus antigen tests or antibody tests will not be accepted.

Travelers can’t go anywhere to get this test – rather, it must come from a CDC accredited lab. The name and address of the lab must be submitted with the health visa application. The only individuals exempt from these requirements are children 10 and under, and pilots or airline crewmembers who are only staying overnight in The Bahamas.

From there, visitors must agree to a two-week quarantine upon their arrival. There are three options for quarantine: staying in a private bedroom and bathroom inside a residence; staying at a hotel or resort where travelers can quarantine in a private room; or the government mandated quarantine facility, located at the Poinciania Inn at Nassau. The traveler must stay quarantined in the room on their own – nobody can enter or exit the designated quarantine area for the entire two weeks stay.

After the quarantine, those who want to remain in The Bahamas must agree to another COVID-19 test at their own expense
. Travelers can leave The Bahamas at any time during the two-week quarantine period, without special approval from the government.

Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3865 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Bahamas is open to US tourism again but with strict conditions like negative pcr test from a CDC accredited lab, 2 week quarantine and another negative test at end of quarantine

Would similar measures work for Canada if we open back up to arrivals from elsewhere?
This doesn't work.
We need to do this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... countries/

[...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 11th, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed political comment
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6068 upvotes
Messerschmitt wrote: This doesn't work.
We need to do this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... countries/

[...]
single pcr testing on arrival or before departure isn't really an effective screening method at all though, it's a bit better than taking someone's temperature..that's about it

Testing is nowhere near 100% accurate and pcr tests depend on when you take it and if someone was just recently infected , they may not show as positive during time of test. So they get a negative at airport but don't quarantine and spread it all around. That's why

That's why countries are testing and quarantining on top. You need to test negative just to fly and then quarantined for two weeks plus two negative test results 24hrs apart before able to leave

Just testing on arrival or just before travel doesn't do much. That's why many successful asian countries have mandatory testing before and on arrival plus 14 day quarantine in gov't facility on arrival plus no entry except for residents/citizens

Common sense is quarantine for 14 days and testing everyday during quarantine as ideal but pragmatic is just 14 days isolation as it'll be difficult logistically to safely test people everyday for 14 days and not risk exposure to others

Eg for bubbles like the NBA bubble, if someone leaves the bubble, they're testing everyday they're outside the bubble and then upon re-enter, they're still quarantined and tested daily until they are cleared quarantine

https://globalnews.ca/news/7169636/nega ... d-19-test/

Some people may have misconceptions about how coronavirus tests work and what they actually help determine, said Dr. Dominik Mertz, an associate professor of infectious diseases at McMaster University.

“People (think) it’s actually a test to rule out that you’ve got infected — it’s not,” Mertz said.

“They can only rule out that you currently don’t have virus in your nose that’s replicating, which only starts a few days before you become symptomatic.”

You could test negative but still have the virus
COVID-19 typically has an incubation period of five days but can range from one to 14 days, according to Health Canada, so it could take time from the point of infection for a person to actually test positive, Ashleigh Tuite, an epidemiologist at the University of Toronto, previously told Global News.

“Even if you get a negative test result, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are not infected right now,” Tuite said.

Phillips explained that when you are first exposed to the coronavirus, it takes a few days for the virus to take hold and become detectable by a test. People often don’t just contract the virus and fall ill right away.

“If exposure was on Monday, the odds of the test being negative are very high on Tuesday and Wednesday… the test is not going to pick it up,” he said.

“Somebody who’s going to become symptomatic around Day 5 might test positive for (the coronavirus) within a day or two before the onset of symptoms.”

Data backs this up: a recent U.S. review on the accuracy of RT-PCR tests, a common coronavirus test, found that you can test negative even if you have the virus, depending on when you get swabbed.

Researchers found that the probability of a false negative before someone starts showing symptoms ranges from 100 per cent on Day 1 of infection to 67 per cent on Day 4.

On the day that someone starts to show symptoms of COVID-19, the median false-negative rate decreased to 38 per cent, researchers found.

Last edited by Mars2012 on Aug 11th, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edit in quote
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22288 posts
20908 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
StatsGuy wrote: single pcr testing on arrival or before departure isn't really an effective screening method at all though, it's a bit better than taking someone's temperature..that's about it

Testing is nowhere near 100% accurate and pcr tests depend on when you take it and if someone was just recently infected , they may not show as positive during time of test. So they get a negative at airport but don't quarantine and spread it all around. That's why

That's why countries are testing and quarantining on top. You need to test negative just to fly and then quarantined for two weeks plus two negative test results 24hrs apart before able to leave

Just testing on arrival or just before travel doesn't do much. That's why many successful asian countries have mandatory testing before and on arrival plus 14 day quarantine in gov't facility on arrival plus no entry except for residents/citizens

Common sense is quarantine for 14 days and testing everyday during quarantine as ideal but pragmatic is just 14 days isolation as it'll be difficult logistically to safely test people everyday for 14 days and not risk exposure to others

Eg for bubbles like the NBA bubble, if someone leaves the bubble, they're testing everyday they're outside the bubble and then upon re-enter, they're still quarantined and tested daily until they are cleared quarantine

https://globalnews.ca/news/7169636/nega ... d-19-test/
This

Sad thing about Coronavirus is people are trying to find an easy explanation for everything ...

Truth is it is a LIVING THING ... so it doesn’t fit well into a set parameter definition ... so not one solution fits all situations ... be it for testing, or how the disease manifests in any person who gets it. Some people have symptoms in a short time, others days later, some people never at all (which is WHY a fever is such a weak indicator). And tests vary too ... by how they are conducted to their accuracy ... and WHEN they are taken. You might test negative now, but positive tomorrow (so you were positive today ... just wasn’t picked up by the type of test you took)

False negatives, even false positives can occur.

No example of this is more timely than that which occurred to Ohio Governor DeWine this week
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/09/politics ... index.html

The best advice I heard this week was this ...

Until there is an effective vaccine... we should all just assume we and everyone else potentially has the virus ... and take precautions to KEEP EACH OTHER SAFE. I do my bit, you do yours, and we’ll slow down the opportunities for the virus to spread. (Same reason the Govt implements a MANDATORY 14 Day Quarantine after out of country travel).

So ...
* Wash your hands often
* Physical distance
* Maintain your social bubble ... don’t multi bubble
* Wear a mask when you go somewhere indoors ... or are outdoors where social distancing is more difficult
* And be aware of your health ... If you don’t feel well in any way ... stay home, and monitor your symptoms
* If you think you have been exposed, or are showing symptoms ... seek medical advice from local public health by phone on how to proceed
* Early detection & seeking advice and/or treatment if condition becomes worse, nets the best outcome (even tho there is no way to know how severe a dose you might have gotten )

All these things together increase your survivability rate
And lower the national death rate ...
Less people get Covid ... then fewer people die

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)