Shopping Discussion

Bait & Switch: Can Dell legally cancel orders once "in production"?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2011 5:28 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
You won't get any useful answers here, go to your lawyer.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: Put it this way, would you be happy to wait months (maybe) for the parts? or would you want it cancelled and either a) buy a different in stock bell setup or b) buy somewhere else...

Parts just dont magically appear, if they did I'd have Eyefinity6 but I don't, only 2 screens
This isn't the point.

Having no stock is fine at the time of order. Having no stock after a month of waiting isn't.
1xTiMeR wrote: My order is updated on the site and it's canceled. mmmken, please include me in any action you pursuit with your company against Dell. I will be reading this thread daily to see any updates are available.

All the best,
1xTiMeR

Included. I'm still working things out with Dell.
spiralspirit wrote: They cancelled my order of 1 as well. What is more annoying is that they didn't notify me, even though I signed up for text message notification for the status of the order.

frustrating.
I'm assuming you're being included as well?
hagbard wrote: You won't get any useful answers here, go to your lawyer.

Thanks, but answers like these aren't needed.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Man, gratitude. Why would anyone screw such a nice guy like you over?
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote: Man, gratitude. Why would anyone screw such a nice guy like you over?

We've had several similar comments in the thread already. I just don't think another "ask your lawyer" comment is needed, that's all.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
mmmken wrote: We've had several similar comments in the thread already. I just don't think another "ask your lawyer" comment is needed, that's all.

Ask your solicitor or would it be barrister?
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1391 posts
498 upvotes
mmmken wrote: We've had several similar comments in the thread already. I just don't think another "ask your lawyer" comment is needed, that's all.

you want to start a class action lawsuit but dont want to talk to a lawyer? most companies just move on, and only the lawyers get rich with class action lawsuits, you'll get a 50$ coupon for dell
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1740 posts
544 upvotes
Toronto
spf1971 wrote: Ask your solicitor or would it be barrister?
If you have nothing to contribute to this thread or are affected by it (by purchasing one the laptops from Dell), please refrain from posting here.

Subsequent "useless" posts will be reported as trolling.
veryboredguy wrote: you want to start a class action lawsuit but dont want to talk to a lawyer? most companies just move on, and only the lawyers get rich with class action lawsuits, you'll get a 50$ coupon for dell

I never said I'm starting a class action lawsuit. I said I would try to include others if legal action would be needed. I never said I'm not going to talk to a lawyer. I am still in the "good faith negotiations" stage with Dell (as instructed by their Terms of Sale agreement). Should these "good faith negotiations" fail, I will be looking at legal options.

This has been repeated several times in this thread.

Again, I'd like to remind everyone that only on-topic posts are needed. If you have nothing better to say but "move on" or "ask your lawyer", your post will be reported to the staff for trolling.

Do not post if you have nothing useful to say or unless you are directly affected by this.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8452 posts
3627 upvotes
Today I called Dell and received an offer for 10% discount towards the v130 which is completely useless because I have a 10% coupon... They wouldn't give anymore. I declined and they actually called me back from the sales department and maybe... they came to their senses that they should just give it to me at $320!!! :( I'll see what I can bargain tomorrow.

I still dislike them though..
Nov 4, 2007
47 posts
1 upvote
mmmken wrote:
Do not post if you have nothing useful to say or unless you are directly affected by this.
Dont tell me what i am able to post.

That is an agreement between myself, and the proprietors of this website, and you have no bearing on it.
Nov 4, 2007
47 posts
1 upvote
mmmken wrote: So you think its fine for companies to accept purchases, accept payment, and prevent me from looking at their competitors for laptops (since I assumed I had a order already) when they knowingly did not have the means to deliver?

I'm not even asking for anything ridiculous like compensation for the delays or business lost, all I'm asking for is for Dell to honor the order as accepted.

Perhaps not fraud - but definitely something wrong.

And if you think otherwise - You sir, are a troll.

You ARE asking for something ridiculous.

You placed a large order, for an item being liquidated.
The company ran out.

It is THAT simple, Dell is WELL within their rights as a business, and YOU sir, are the epitome of the philosophy that the customer is not always right.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
QuantumTarantino wrote: You ARE asking for something ridiculous.

You placed a large order, for an item being liquidated.
The company ran out.

It is THAT simple, Dell is WELL within their rights as a business, and YOU sir, are the epitome of the philosophy that the customer is not always right.

then why do they charge his card?
i still believe once money is handed over, it is a non-reversible transaction, consideration exchanged.
Nov 4, 2007
47 posts
1 upvote
ccyk wrote: then why do they charge his card?
i still believe once money is handed over, it is a non-reversible transaction, consideration exchanged.

You believe incorrectly.

Business does not work like that.

Devils advocate here.

Lets say he bought something, and paid for it, and it was placed into production.

At this point, the company contacted all its suppliers, and placed orders for the parts needed to assemble the product.

They are able to acquire all but one part, and 15 days later, are told by their supplier, that this part no longer is being produced, and will never be produced again.

At this point, the company in question, can in no WAY SHAPE OR FORM, fulfill the order placed.
If this transaction were unable to be cancelled (non-reversible as you say) then we have 2 impossible actions, and what happens then?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
QuantumTarantino wrote: You believe incorrectly.

Business does not work like that.

Devils advocate here.

Lets say he bought something, and paid for it, and it was placed into production.

At this point, the company contacted all its suppliers, and placed orders for the parts needed to assemble the product.

They are able to acquire all but one part, and 15 days later, are told by their supplier, that this part no longer is being produced, and will never be produced again.

At this point, the company in question, can in no WAY SHAPE OR FORM, fulfill the order placed.
If this transaction were unable to be cancelled (non-reversible as you say) then we have 2 impossible actions, and what happens then?
What happens then is a good company finds a way, even if it costs then more to fufill the customers order.

I can`t believe all the heat the op is taking for this thread. In good faith he purchased 90 computors, Dell accepted the order no questions asked.
Any company in this world would be jumping through hoops to fufill this order and keep the customer happy. But of course not Dell they think there above customer service. It dosen`t matter that they can`t supply the parts, it sounds to me like they are losing money on this build and our trying to get out of this order.

When people post on Rfd they are looking for advice from people that have been in similer circumstances and are not looking for peoples opinions that have no reason to be in the thread other than post counts. Each thread becomes so many pages long, that people that can actually help get tired of reading the same crap in evey thread and don`t bother.

Op your on the right trail keep up the fight and let us know what happens.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: What happens then is a good company finds a way, even if it costs then more to fufill the customers order.

I can`t believe all the heat the op is taking for this thread. In good faith he purchased 90 computors, Dell accepted the order no questions asked.
Any company in this world would be jumping through hoops to fufill this order and keep the customer happy. But of course not Dell they think there above customer service. It dosen`t matter that they can`t supply the parts, it sounds to me like they are losing money on this build and our trying to get out of this order.

When people post on Rfd they are looking for advice from people that have been in similer circumstances and are not looking for peoples opinions that have no reason to be in the thread other than post counts. Each thread becomes so many pages long, that people that can actually help get tired of reading the same crap in evey thread and don`t bother.

Op your on the right trail keep up the fight and let us know what happens.

It doesn't matter that they can't supply the parts? How in the hell are they supposed to be able to manufacture computers if they can't get the parts? Dell can no longer offer the computers that the OP want, they offered a different computer, they offered to simply cancel the order and they offered 10% off future purchases what else they supposed to do? Crap out computers they don't have?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
spf1971 wrote: It doesn't matter that they can't supply the parts? How in the hell are they supposed to be able to manufacture computers if they can't get the parts? Dell can no longer offer the computers that the OP want, they offered a different computer, they offered to simply cancel the order and they offered 10% off future purchases what else they supposed to do? Crap out computers they don't have?

This is dell were talking about. Not a small 1 shop computor store that builds computors. If dell wanted to fufill the order they would, and they, could they just refuse to. If you believe otherwise you have never been in business.

He was offered another computor and in his words double the price and inferior specs, would you accept that and buy for double the price? I doubt it you be doing the exact same thing that op is doing.

Also if you read op posts he, was never offered 10% off it was another poster, op is still in discussion with dell.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8452 posts
3627 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: This is dell were talking about. Not a small 1 shop computor store that builds computors. If dell wanted to fufill the order they would, and they, could they just refuse to. If you believe otherwise you have never been in business.

He was offered another computor and in his words double the price and inferior specs, would you accept that and buy for double the price? I doubt it you be doing the exact same thing that op is doing.

Also if you read op posts he, was never offered 10% off it was another poster, op is still in discussion with dell.

Psh, 10% is nothing... I have a coupon for the same thing. I just called and was transfered to the manager's VM. Maybe he can offer me something better.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: This is dell were talking about. Not a small 1 shop computor store that builds computors. If dell wanted to fufill the order they would, and they, could they just refuse to. If you believe otherwise you have never been in business.

How would dell be able to fulfill the order? They don't manufacture parts, they assemble computers. If their suppliers don't have the parts what can they do? You expect them to start a new production run of whatever parts they can't get for 90 computers?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
spf1971 wrote: How would dell be able to fulfill the order? They don't manufacture parts, they assemble computers. If their suppliers don't have the parts what can they do? You expect them to start a new production run of whatever parts they can't get for 90 computers?
Your right what was i thinking, i should have know dell is so stupid that they only have one supplier that supplies them with parts, and if that supplier goes on strike, goes out of business, has a fire, has a flood or union strikes dell would be out of business. And the rest of the dell customers would come on Rfd and complain. loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

We are way off topic and this is my last post. You sir may have the last word if you wish and by your previous posts i know you will use it, make it helpful to the op please.

Sorry op for getting off track.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
121 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Your right what was i thinking, i should have know dell is so stupid that they only have one supplier that supplies them with parts, and if that supplier goes on strike, goes out of business, has a fire, has a flood or union strikes dell would be out of business. And the rest of the dell customers would come on Rfd and complain. loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

We are way off topic and this is my last post. You sir may have the last word if you wish and by your previous posts i know you will use it, make it helpful to the op please.

Sorry op for getting off track.

I know! How dare they only get their Intel processors from Intel, how dare they only get their NVidia video cards from NVidia. If they advertise a computer with an Intel processor and NVidia video card and neither Intel not NVidia have those parts available, where do you suggest they get them? ******************
Jun 5, 2004
399 posts
335 upvotes
My order got cancelled without any notification at all. Pretty slimy of Dell to do. I guess they were hoping everyone would just forget about it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)