Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11330 posts
1373 upvotes
GVR

Balcony patio heater... work/worth it?

I've recently moved and have a nice balcony with a BBQ setup, going to be adding some sectional seating soon.

It's in Squamish, BC and if anyone knows the area it tends to get a constant wind coming up the sound - refreshing in the daytime, but makes it a bit chillier in the evenings.

I wonder if adding a space heater would be "worth it" or prove beneficial? I have an outdoor AC outlet and can have propane, so both are options. I have no idea how energy efficient they are and my main experience is overhead ones at restaurants. Would one even be enough? The heat likely wouldn't stay around because of the breeze, unless I added some form of an enclosure - which I think is unlikely?

Anyone have outdoor space heaters for balcony use? Good decisions?
2 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11737 posts
6928 upvotes
Paris
Kaitlyn wrote: I've recently moved and have a nice balcony with a BBQ setup, going to be adding some sectional seating soon.

It's in Squamish, BC and if anyone knows the area it tends to get a constant wind coming up the sound - refreshing in the daytime, but makes it a bit chillier in the evenings.

I wonder if adding a space heater would be "worth it" or prove beneficial? I have an outdoor AC outlet and can have propane, so both are options. I have no idea how energy efficient they are and my main experience is overhead ones at restaurants. Would one even be enough? The heat likely wouldn't stay around because of the breeze, unless I added some form of an enclosure - which I think is unlikely?

Anyone have outdoor space heaters for balcony use? Good decisions?
I have both a propane stand up heater and a Napoleon patio flame that is NG and plumbed into my deck. Neither work well in much of any kind of wind situation.

I wanted an NG patio heater and hit up an employee of Crown Verity (who make high end BBQ and patio heaters) at a golf tournament. He told me that pound for pound in any wind the electric wall heaters perform better. I have not tested the theory as my propane one is still kicking and does a decent job with our place that doesnt get a lot of wind during patio season.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20907 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
We have Propane Heaters in our backyard.
(The tall ones ... like you see @ Restsursnts)
They work great to extend our season Spring thru Fall
But not so great if it’s windy.

Sounds like that’s gonna be a major issue for you

Don’t have much experience with Wall Hung Patio Heaters
But I would think that cuz they attach to the wall
There would be some natural sense of shelter from the wind

But just the same you still might need some sort of wind block to maximize their efficiency in a balcony situation

Any chance you could install privacy screening to the two sidewalks of your balcony ?

Maybe something more solid ... think outside the box *
Versus just standard old lattice ... or framing with plastic that so many think of first

* Google, decorative privacy screens, fence panels etc
https://www.coregravel.ca/core-decor/privacy-screens/