Home & Garden

'Bald' lawn patches . Soil is relatively difficult to break ..I need to seed there can I just add topsoil and seeds?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 7:50 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON

'Bald' lawn patches . Soil is relatively difficult to break ..I need to seed there can I just add topsoil and seeds?

I have doubts regarding grass' ability to go deeper and root into the underlaying soil bed.
Of course I will water them like hell but right now they are solid and difficult to break
Lots of crazy 💡
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5092 posts
1998 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: I have doubts regarding grass' ability to go deeper and root into the underlaying soil bed.
Of course I will water them like hell but right now they are solid and difficult to break
photos would help.

Besides ... there are already an abundance of threads on this topic or similar! Search before putting up another thread.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Dec 5, 2004
474 posts
562 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: I have doubts regarding grass' ability to go deeper and root into the underlaying soil bed.
Buy an $8 roll of sod from Canadian Tire / Home Depot / Lowes, dig up the bald spot, flip, chop up with a shovel to form a good soil base, cut the exact hole from the new sod.

Water twice a day, and stand outside with the shovel waiting for the neighbour's dog who pees on the bald spot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2020 posts
342 upvotes
East York, ON
I am waiting to rain again, it is easier to break the soil after rain
Lots of crazy 💡
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1730 posts
1913 upvotes
West GTA
Personally I think it's late to seed now. You're hitting summer weather, keeping the seeds and grass watered through the heat and drought will be painful. I'd address it in the fall if I were you.