Real Estate

Ballpark of pre-sale period for condos in Toronto?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 11:00 am
[OP]
Jun 13, 2009
549 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto

Ballpark of pre-sale period for condos in Toronto?

I am just curious how long it usually takes to sell 70% of units for a new condo in Toronto, and also, how long is pre-sale offered before the project is shuttered for not selling at least 70%?

Thanks in advance
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1476 posts
1273 upvotes
Toronto, ON
something along the lines of...

Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2187 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
depends on how good the developers ties are to solid money laundering connections. From what I hear its usually the FX exchange shops
at yonge and finch that are the best Winking Face
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
10842 posts
6044 upvotes
joepipe wrote: depends on how good the developers ties are to solid money laundering connections. From what I hear its usually the FX exchange shops
at yonge and finch that are the best Winking Face
This is trolling.
Nov 5, 2018
656 posts
943 upvotes
Scarborough
It depends on location, price, developer, etc.

When I bought Line 5 condos (north tower) from Reserve and Westdale, I believe it was sold out in a couple of months.
Money, Common Stocks, Credit Cards, Coupons, Condos (MCCCC)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
2187 posts
2270 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: This is trolling.
really? many precons are bought up 50% by speculators, many from overseas.... this is a fact...

you think that money is all clean?
[OP]
Jun 13, 2009
549 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
CondoMan98 wrote: It depends on location, price, developer, etc.

When I bought Line 5 condos (north tower) from Reserve and Westdale, I believe it was sold out in a couple of months.
Have you ever seen projects with pre-sale up for 8-10 months? Is it reasonable to assume most developers would call it quits in the 8-10 month range? 12-16 month range?
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2009
1370 posts
381 upvotes
They used to go really fast... People here seem to think that's still true. These days they are taking a quite bit longer with the market cool down. I've seen precons barely 50% sold and they have been open for months.
Nov 10, 2017
726 posts
475 upvotes
The Well Condos are coming soon, you will see how strong is the demand for good products. It's all about location, developer and project
Penalty Box
Apr 4, 2017
369 posts
286 upvotes
Really depends on the project. Location, developer, project etc all make a difference. Could be anywhere from days/week to an in-demand location, priced right, quality builder to years for a luxury and niche product.
[OP]
Jun 13, 2009
549 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
PunPryde wrote: They used to go really fast... People here seem to think that's still true. These days they are taking a quite bit longer with the market cool down. I've seen precons barely 50% sold and they have been open for months.
Yes, I have noticed as well which led me to wonder how long a developer can hold out for. I guess at the early stages, the developer's only expenses would be property tax on the land, mortgage (unless they have big money and bought out the land), and any expenses related to advertising/selling the project?