Expired Hot Deals

[Banana Republic] [Banana Republic] 40% + 20% on Button Down Dress Shirts and Blouses + 8% CB

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2019 7:29 am
[OP]
Aug 26, 2018
64 posts
103 upvotes
Winnipeg

[Banana Republic] [Banana Republic] 40% + 20% on Button Down Dress Shirts and Blouses + 8% CB

Hello.

Went looking for dress shirts at Banana Republic today and noticed 40% + 20% discount - no code required. Expires December 9th for 40%, extra 20% on dress shirts and blouses on December 3rd.

8% CB on Ebates too.

FYI.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2005
4850 posts
2151 upvotes
Markham
That's 52% off without cashback. Pretty much the same as their bf sale. Which would be great if their prices weren't super inflated.

Cashback makes it 55.9% off.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2009
1026 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
Holyy, this store is freaking expensive.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2006
3478 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
drew4008 wrote: Holyy, this store is freaking expensive.
Used to be manageble when u could stack the 20% off email signup codes along with 15-20% giftcard which u can still get off ebay.
====================================
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
drew4008 wrote: Holyy, this store is freaking expensive.
They run a promotional model - their regular price is excessively high, but they run near-constant sales of 30-50% off and expect a a lot of the traffic to happen then. The idea is that the word 'sale' gets people in the store, and then they charge either regular price (30% off) or maybe a more of a sale (50% off) if they actually want to drive promotional business. Sherwin Williams does the same thing with paint.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2009
1026 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
grumble wrote: They run a promotional model - their regular price is excessively high, but they run near-constant sales of 30-50% off and expect a a lot of the traffic to happen then. The idea is that the word 'sale' gets people in the store, and then they charge either regular price (30% off) or maybe a more of a sale (50% off) if they actually want to drive promotional business. Sherwin Williams does the same thing with paint.
ugh what a society. Re-read what you just laid out, and look at what utter fake nonsensical sh*t that is.
Jul 13, 2004
406 posts
122 upvotes
drew4008 wrote: ugh what a society. Re-read what you just laid out, and look at what utter fake nonsensical sh*t that is.
Not sure why you're so triggered by this. A business has found a model which works for them and implements it. It's not like they're forcing anyone into their stores at gunpoint. But yeah, society going to the dumps because a company practices a moderate form capitalism.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3254 posts
997 upvotes
Toronto
Combine with the 17.5% off gift cards if you snagged some and you are looking at closer to 73% off (if my math is correct).
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1886 posts
467 upvotes
Fishing wrote: Not sure why you're so triggered by this. A business has found a model which works for them and implements it. It's not like they're forcing anyone into their stores at gunpoint. But yeah, society going to the dumps because a company practices a moderate form capitalism.
It's clearly a deceptive marketing practice:
  • Don't run a "sale" for a long period or repeat it every week.

It's in the same category as a bait and switch, no one forces anyone to buy anything but it's still not allowed.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1250 posts
1301 upvotes
West GTA
drew4008 wrote: ugh what a society. Re-read what you just laid out, and look at what utter fake nonsensical sh*t that is.
Well, it's marketing that takes advantage of a quirk of human nature, one that you can see on this site especially every day - people see 'sale' and assume that they're getting great value for money. That gets people to buy things they don't need or buy things that, even on 'sale', aren't worth the asking price. So one's view may depend on how much responsibility people are expected to have for their own actions.

For example, I put 'can decide how much they should spend on a pair of pants' pretty much all on the consumer. If they fall for fake 'sales', or ads, or buy stuff they don't need for more money than it's worth to them, or buy a pair of pants that falls apart, that's on them. The information for them to make an educated decision is readily available and the consequences of screwing it up aren't that big.

For what it's worth, Banana Republic's smart casual clothes (dress shirts, khakis, etc) are quite good quality and I've been really pleased with them - their khakis in particular are the best I've ever owned. I wouldn't buy a suit from them though, the quality's low and I'd rather spend more and get one that looks better and lasts longer. Overall I'm happy that they're around, and hope they will be for a lot longer (though right now they're bleeding money).
Dec 24, 2010
480 posts
281 upvotes
grumble wrote: Well, it's marketing that takes advantage of a quirk of human nature, one that you can see on this site especially every day - people see 'sale' and assume that they're getting great value for money. That gets people to buy things they don't need or buy things that, even on 'sale', aren't worth the asking price. So one's view may depend on how much responsibility people are expected to have for their own actions.

For example, I put 'can decide how much they should spend on a pair of pants' pretty much all on the consumer. If they fall for fake 'sales', or ads, or buy stuff they don't need for more money than it's worth to them, or buy a pair of pants that falls apart, that's on them. The information for them to make an educated decision is readily available and the consequences of screwing it up aren't that big.

For what it's worth, Banana Republic's smart casual clothes (dress shirts, khakis, etc) are quite good quality and I've been really pleased with them - their khakis in particular are the best I've ever owned. I wouldn't buy a suit from them though, the quality's low and I'd rather spend more and get one that looks better and lasts longer. Overall I'm happy that they're around, and hope they will be for a lot longer (though right now they're bleeding money).
Agreed, some people will fall for it.

In general, I don't get why people are getting upset about these practices, not that hard to evaluate products for their worth instead of just looking at MSRP pricing. At the end of the day, I pay $30-40 for high quality dress shirts, which are 100x better than the garbage CK shirts sold by the bay. They could price it at $400 with a 90% sale all the time for all I care.
Jun 12, 2013
446 posts
301 upvotes
For the record, sometimes you get great deals at BR.

I picked up a Merino wool and Cashmere blend sweater for $24.49.

Picked up other Cashmere and Silk blend sweaters for under $50 a pop.

Really great value for money given the quality.
Oct 21, 2009
746 posts
660 upvotes
hassanmahmood wrote: For the record, sometimes you get great deals at BR.

I picked up a Merino wool and Cashmere blend sweater for $24.49.

Picked up other Cashmere and Silk blend sweaters for under $50 a pop.

Really great value for money given the quality.
Agreed. Their line of slim-fit tech-stretch cotton shirts were an amazing quality for $30 a month or two ago too (currently marked up to $110).

You just have to watch out for the sales of sales items basically to get the best value
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4810 posts
1340 upvotes
I don't find the price that bad, considering it's almost always 50% off with free shipping and returns.

What's fustrating are the various cuts and sizes. Someone 6'2 shouldn't be wearing a medium sweater.
Let's hug it out