Banff Trip cancellation refund

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 12:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
16 posts
1 upvote

Banff Trip cancellation refund

I bought 2 air canada tickets to Banff from 27 to 30 Aug using cibc aventura points and cash. I have to cancel the trip due to personal reasons. Aventura says I will be charged $500 for cancellation. Cost of both tickets was around $1200.
Is there any way I can get more or full refund?

Thanks in advance
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5900 posts
1677 upvotes
Mississauga
rick05 wrote: I bought 2 air canada tickets to Banff from 27 to 30 Aug using cibc aventura points and cash. I have to cancel the trip due to personal reasons. Aventura says I will be charged $500 for cancellation. Cost of both tickets was around $1200.
Is there any way I can get more or full refund?

Thanks in advance
check the TOC of your tickets.... really depends what type of tickets you bought
[OP]
Nov 4, 2018
16 posts
1 upvote
The TOC says I can get full refund only in case of emergency like death, flight is cancelled etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
5900 posts
1677 upvotes
Mississauga
rick05 wrote: The TOC says I can get full refund only in case of emergency like death, flight is cancelled etc.
does it allow you to keep the $1200 as a future travel credit
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1330 posts
791 upvotes
Ottawa
It sounds like for a full refund ($ back) you are SOL, unless you bought insurance and your reasons fit their criteria for coverage.

If you are able to reschedule the trip *and know for what dates already*, you may be able to get away with doing that and just paying a change fee, or a change fee + fare difference.

As others have said, you *may* also be able to credit the value of the tickets, less a change fee, towards future travel you book later. Ask first Aventura (your travel agent) but if you don't get anywhere you can ask the airline, though they'll probably say "no, go to your travel agent". Look up, if you can, the fare conditions on changes and credits, not just cancellation.

That all being said, $600pp (in value) tickets, I assume from somewhere in Eastern Canada to Banff, are pretty inexpensive tickets and therefore will usually come with restrictions. "Refundable except for a $250pp cancellation fee" is pretty good for this price point; and you may find the change fee as per the above is similar or the same and so not really any advantage to doing it this way.

Good luck!
Jan 31, 2007
461 posts
276 upvotes
You mean Calgary (YYC) right? There are no flights to Banff.