• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 10:20 pm
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2003
1436 posts
163 upvotes
Woodbridge
For $150 it's a half decent phone to do daily tasks. But if you're looking for a decent camera, look elsewhere. See the reviews, photo quality, video stabilization, and low light are all under performing and look to be equivalent to maybe a 2015 flagship phone.

Plus, a few annoyances are micro USB and lcd screen.
Sep 20, 2011
75 posts
290 upvotes
sterdeus wrote: For $150 it's a half decent phone to do daily tasks. But if you're looking for a decent camera, look elsewhere. See the reviews, photo quality, video stabilization, and low light are all under performing and look to be equivalent to maybe a 2015 flagship phone.

Plus, a few annoyances are micro USB and lcd screen.
micro usb? MICRO USB?!
Jul 10, 2019
101 posts
192 upvotes
Better off buying a used s9. Seen them go for $200 Nego on Kijji.
Oct 15, 2020
87 posts
167 upvotes
montreal, QC
RSmith2 wrote: Better off buying a used s9. Seen them go for $200 Nego on Kijji.
100%. If you're working with that budget, buy used.

I don't understand this trend of buying these Garbage phones for supposedly their low price.

It seems dodgee
Is this thing on?
Oct 19, 2004
899 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto
You don't understand that a brand new large-capacity battery is the most important part of a phone? The OEM battery replacement for any of these used phones, where they vacuum seal it after to keep the IP rating, costs $300-400. So, yes, it does make sense to buy newer phones. Back when phones had user-replaceable batteries (read: Samsung Galaxy Note 4), I would agree with you. Those times are long gone, as the industry introduced more planned obsolescence.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2536 posts
2208 upvotes
Canada
Does it come woith 1,000 dogecoins?
To the moon
Apr 5, 2019
8 posts
5 upvotes
If you insist on a new budget phone have a look at the Umidigi A9 Pro in the $200 price range, the battery is slightly smaller (rated at 4150mah). I picked one up a couple weeks back with a $40 coupon on Amazon.ca

Same P60 processor with 6GB RAM + 128 GB ROM, dual sim dual standby, an expandable storage slot, all Canadian 4G bands, and USB-C charge port..and looks oddly similar to this device on the back. There's also a smart key similar to the Samsung bixby button that can be set as a shortcut to functions and apps...oh, and it has a gimmicky infrared thermometer for checking if your friends have a fever. The cameras are garbage, but overall it feels solid and is a nearly stock android phone. Also ran Malware bytes and came out clean...

Great phone for an elderly parent...and when Covid's under control the extra SIM slot can come in handy for travelling.
Nov 12, 2017
292 posts
361 upvotes
Cambridge
upvote for alternative phones. I have the P60 chip in my Ulefone Armor 6E. It's a snappy chip.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7095 posts
1426 upvotes
Toronto
MediaTek based phones like this one work on Freedom, other brands of CPU/platform is hit or miss with freedom mobile.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.