1011 upvotes
Charlottetown

Xiaomi Mibox S - $81.32 CA all in

Deal Link:
Price:
$81.32
Retailer:
Banggood
not for everyone i know (Amazon FS, Shield, etc) but may be of interest to some. received email from Banggood and they have a sale (discount varies on products) on Xiaomi products. currently shows Mi box S (Android TV box) on sale (ha!) for $96.72 CA, but if you log in to your account, or, i assume create a new account and add code BGMB55 at checkout the price drops to $81.32 shipping and insurance included. of course these days prepare to wait awhile for shipping, but i thought some people may be interested in this.
Last edited by townie22 on Feb 15th, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
51 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2131 posts
586 upvotes
any place still selling the mi box 3? much prefer it over the S...
Sep 2, 2005
317 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: any place still selling the mi box 3? much prefer it over the S...
I don't know too much about this -- but my (perhaps wrong) understanding is that the S replaces the 3... why do you prefer the 3?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2131 posts
586 upvotes
jdt wrote: I don't know too much about this -- but my (perhaps wrong) understanding is that the S replaces the 3... why do you prefer the 3?
Because it has IR receiver in the front so it's nice to use with harmony it remotes. Otherwise the hw is exactly the same
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
7301 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
Only chance it seems is used, I see a couple on kijiji in the GTA and one on eBay..
Dec 27, 2007
19667 posts
10728 upvotes
Kitchener
Discontinued long ago.
Dec 27, 2007
19667 posts
10728 upvotes
Kitchener
townie22 wrote: not for everyone i know (Amazon FS, Shield, etc) but may be of interest to some.
The question is why would anyone be interested in the mibox S now that Amazon has made up with Google?

Mibox had only two main advantages over firestick 4K, hd audio bit streaming and Google play movies. Now with mibox-S, Xiaomi took back the hd audio support it advertised (by simply removing all mention of it in the published specs of the mibox-s, well after the product was launched) and now that Google play movies runs in 4K on firetv (via the official YT app) there is nothing the mibox-s has to offer for $80 over what the $50 (sale price) firestick can give you.

Fact is a firestick would do better given it's official atv app support and 4K playback from most streaming platforms (Movies Anywhere, Hulu, Disney+, Vudu, Fandango, Netflix) not sure about the mibox-s but on the original mibox all 4K streaming capabilities from these platforms were lost (aside from Netflix) after the most recent firmware update (including Google Play movies).

It was once a nice device and a very viable option vs. shieldtv, unfortunately can no longer recommend it over a cheaper and more capable firetv 4k stick.
Sep 2, 2005
317 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't the mibox-s better for playing 4k/5.1 mkv's from a local USB harddrive (i.e., not streaming)? I hear that firestick 4k's audio drift from video...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15510 posts
2356 upvotes
Toronto
vodka wrote: Because it has IR receiver in the front so it's nice to use with harmony it remotes. Otherwise the hw is exactly the same
It will also pass DTS-HD and TrueHD which the "s" version can't do.
Dec 27, 2007
19667 posts
10728 upvotes
Kitchener
jdt wrote: I don't know too much about this -- but my (perhaps wrong) understanding is that the S replaces the 3... why do you prefer the 3?
Indeed mibox S replaces the original mibox, running Android 9 (vs. Android 8) and with official amazon prime support (vs. sideload and a cap to 1080p) but you get same 2016 hardware with a missing IR port and dropped hd-audio bitstreaming.
lifeisfuneh wrote: Walmart US had these on sale before Christmas for $30 -$40, the price changed almost daily.
walmart-usa-xiaomi-mi-box-s-4k-hdr-andr ... 5-2328853/
Only if you can get it to cross the boarders cheaply, else the $30-$40 USD will rack up pretty quickly to similar tag.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1891 posts
655 upvotes
Kitchener
audit13 wrote: It will also pass DTS-HD and TrueHD which the "s" version can't do.
Thats the biggest issue for me with the S. I had a 3 and then bought 2 S's but didn't know about the lossless audio issue. Luckily I only needed one that has atmos but still disappointed that the new S is not as good
Dec 27, 2007
19667 posts
10728 upvotes
Kitchener
jdt wrote: Isn't the mibox-s better for playing 4k/5.1 mkv's from a local USB harddrive (i.e., not streaming)? I hear that firestick 4k's audio drift from video...
If you are just going for local streaming then a similarly specced piracy box from Amazon will be half the price (~$40) and will run fine for all your local playback needs (also depending on your ability to tinker with it you can get working HD-audio bitstreaming).
The drifting audio on the firetv stick seems to be specific to Kodi (at least from the reports), I haven't been able to replicate the drift but I experienced a fixed 0.2 second delay from Kodi that was cleared by whitelisting all supported output resolutions (effectively video passthrough), with that said, I don't use the firestick with an AVR (for the bitstreaming limitation) so I can't tell for sure.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4540 posts
1438 upvotes
Kingston
aasoror wrote: The question is why would anyone be interested in the mibox S now that Amazon has made up with Google?

Mibox had only two main advantages over firestick 4K, hd audio bit streaming and Google play movies. Now with mibox-S, Xiaomi took back the hd audio support it advertised (by simply removing all mention of it in the published specs of the mibox-s, well after the product was launched) and now that Google play movies runs in 4K on firetv (via the official YT app) there is nothing the mibox-s has to offer for $80 over what the $50 (sale price) firestick can give you.

Fact is a firestick would do better given it's official atv app support and 4K playback from most streaming platforms (Movies Anywhere, Hulu, Disney+, Vudu, Fandango, Netflix) not sure about the mibox-s but on the original mibox all 4K streaming capabilities from these platforms were lost (aside from Netflix) after the most recent firmware update (including Google Play movies).

It was once a nice device and a very viable option vs. shieldtv, unfortunately can no longer recommend it over a cheaper and more capable firetv 4k stick.
Obviously not a big advantage, but I like that it integrates with Google home. I don't have any Alexa devices.
And I like the Chromecast feature.