Personal Finance

which bank cheques are crossed cheques ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2023 5:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 21, 2009
448 posts
156 upvotes
Tri Cities

which bank cheques are crossed cheques ?

I bank with PCF, and reading about the money mart hold cheque thread, I took a careful look at my PCF cheques and it looks like it does not have the crossed cheque security feature. When I googled crossed cheques I read that most banks now issue cheques with the crossed cheque security feature already there. So which banks issues free cheques that has this crossed cheque feature already there ?

For now I can manually draw the two vertical line in the middle of the cheque and write the word "not negotiable" in the middle. I also read that you can draw two parallel diagonal lines, then there is the "a/c payee only". quite a lot of different ways of crossing the chqs, does anyone know what is acceptable in Canada ?
Thread Summary
This thread was started in 2009!!!
62 replies
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
If you googled for "crossed cheques" all references on "preprinted cheques" and "a/c payee" are really for UK.

Looks like this is the latest article regarding this topic http://www.6717000.com/newsArticle-4736.html (same guy who started this topic in Vancouver Sun in March 2008) and he recommends writing "for deposit to the account of the named Payee only" on the front of the cheque to avoid issues with non-acceptance. Hopefully places like Money Mart won't try to get around of it by creating single use "accounts" for they clients. For my taste something like "non transferable, not negotiable, for deposit to the account of the named Payee only" should be much more bullet proof but may not fit the cheque
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
2034 posts
456 upvotes
Burlington
From what I have read Crossed cheques are against the CPA's new standards and so are not accepted by most places.

Also many people/tellers do not know what crossed cheques are and think they have been voided out.

I e-mailed TD about if they accepted crossed cheques or if I can cross my TD cheques when signing them and they gave me some generic response that I should talk to a branch manager about a specific cheque because it is up to them to determine if they would accept third party endorsed cheques.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8030 posts
2357 upvotes
Toronto
In my country you can crossed cheques yourself my writing two diagonal line on the top left corner.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2009
448 posts
156 upvotes
Tri Cities
budfrogs wrote: From what I have read Crossed cheques are against the CPA's new standards and so are not accepted by most places.

Also many people/tellers do not know what crossed cheques are and think they have been voided out.

I e-mailed TD about if they accepted crossed cheques or if I can cross my TD cheques when signing them and they gave me some generic response that I should talk to a branch manager about a specific cheque because it is up to them to determine if they would accept third party endorsed cheques.
Arggg ! pulls hair ! very frustrating, I called PCF and they have no idea what a crossed cheque is. When I said If I can draw two parallel line in the middle of the cheque and write "not negotiable" the CSR said that might void the cheque.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: In my country you can crossed cheques yourself my writing two diagonal line on the top left corner.
Banking system is very country specific so unless your country is Canada this is quite irrelevant :D

Problem is if you use cross a cheque and then still have issue with places like Money Mart you may still have to defend your position in court but this is exactly what majority of people are trying to avoid (I do not say you will loose actually law is on your side but dealing with court... :eek: ).
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2005
3237 posts
27 upvotes
In this article from last year, a Vancouver Sun columnist tried to get information from the banks about crossing cheques, but couldn't get much of a straight answer: http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/col ... e234ade2b4

And I found a power point presentation from the Treasury Management Association of Canada (whoever they are) which claims:

[QUOTE]Crossing not used in Canada and would probably cause confusion
CPA and FIs have suggested that should issuance of cheque be of concern that restrictive language be included on the cheque
E.G.
[OP]
Apr 21, 2009
448 posts
156 upvotes
Tri Cities
asdfvcx wrote: So, it looks like using the memo field instead of crossing the cheque may be the way to go.
writing "for deposit to the account of the named Payee only" might not be enough. Money mart can create an account for the payee which will satisfy the note.
maybe "for deposit to the account of the named Payee only at a bank or credit union only"

its starting to get ridiculously long :(
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
I read every link in this post and I still don't know what a crossed cheque is, or why I should care.

If I write a cheque to someone, I consider that as cash gone from my hands. I could care less what the person receiving it does with it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Nov 21, 2016
1 posts
brunes wrote: I read every link in this post and I still don't know what a crossed cheque is, or why I should care.

If I write a cheque to someone, I consider that as cash gone from my hands. I could care less what the person receiving it does with it.
Well, if you want to mail a cheque and don't want it to get stolen and deposited by 3rd party for cash, that's one.
Who uses cheques? A lot of businesses, and they mail them.
Another is, when you mail a cheque and the recipient claims he never got it, but cashed it to gave it to someone else, now you can't prove he got it.
There are many situations for crossing a cheque, honestly I think all cheques should be considered crossed unless clearly stated otherwise... not sure why this is not the case.

Also regarding your second post, sometimes you can give post dated cheques to a contractor that should get the last payment no earlier than October, when the job should be completed. In September the contractor disappear so you would want to cancel the cheque even if it was not lost.
Dec 9, 2007
955 posts
31 upvotes
brunes wrote: I read every link in this post and I still don't know what a crossed cheque is, or why I should care.

If you use cheque as a substitution for a cash you are right. The issue is cheque is more then that and if used wisely can provide extra security compared to cash. Check all links in in Money Mart post and you will find examples of where ability to stop cheque with guarantee really important.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19883 posts
2645 upvotes
pshch wrote: If you use cheque as a substitution for a cash you are right. The issue is cheque is more then that and if used wisely can provide extra security compared to cash. Check all links in in Money Mart post and you will find examples of where ability to stop cheque with guarantee really important.
I did, and IMO the third post sums up the situation:

Congrats you committed fraud using our banking system as an accomplice. I only say this because stopping a cheque is not a legal way to settle a dispute with a contractor

The only valid reason to stop payment on a cheque is because it was lost - period. You can't write someone a cheque and then stop payment on it just "for protection". Once the cheque is in the recipient's hands, legally, it is as good as gone.

Therefore, I see no use for this "cheque crossing" whatever it is - it seems like it is some attempt to artificiality restrict what someone does with the cheque you wrote them.

EDIT: Who the F write cheques anyway??? Are we living in the US now?
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Mar 5, 2005
81 posts
22 upvotes
brunes wrote:
The only valid reason to stop payment on a cheque is because it was lost - period.
But thats a problem one of the articles talks about!!

Theres an article where a temp employee says they lost the cheque, the owner put a stop payment on the first cheque and issues a replacement. The employee was still able to cash BOTH CHEQUES at Moneymart! And Moneymart sued and won payment for the amount of the first stopped cheque.
Jan 20, 2009
491 posts
9 upvotes
Ontario
brunes wrote: I did, and IMO the third post sums up the situation:

Congrats you committed fraud using our banking system as an accomplice. I only say this because stopping a cheque is not a legal way to settle a dispute with a contractor

The only valid reason to stop payment on a cheque is because it was lost - period. You can't write someone a cheque and then stop payment on it just "for protection". Once the cheque is in the recipient's hands, legally, it is as good as gone.

Therefore, I see no use for this "cheque crossing" whatever it is - it seems like it is some attempt to artificiality restrict what someone does with the cheque you wrote them.

EDIT: Who the F write cheques anyway??? Are we living in the US now?
People like me who have kids in daycare, which in turn only accept cash or cheques, and no, I don't live in the US.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
807 upvotes
ben123 wrote: But thats a problem one of the articles talks about!!

Theres an article where a temp employee says they lost the cheque, the owner put a stop payment on the first cheque and issues a replacement. The employee was still able to cash BOTH CHEQUES at Moneymart! And Moneymart sued and won payment for the amount of the first stopped cheque.
Yeah based on the current legal status even though a stop was placed and Money Mart technically shouldn't have cashed the stopped chq, legally the original person is still on the hook for the chq. It sucks, if the person tried it at a normal bank they would be rejected but cause they did it at Money Mart now you're on the hook for both.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
79 upvotes
Where I'm from (Hong Kong), it's common practice to cross cheques and write "Account Payee Only" on the front of the cheque, as well as strike out the "Or Bearer" phrase on the front of the cheque. This would mean the cheque can only be deposited into a bank account by the individual it was issued to. Otherwise, any person who picks it up could go to the bank and cash the cheque.

The only time I really use cheques it to transfer money between my accounts, otherwise I really only use 10 or so a year.
Sep 28, 2007
928 posts
54 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Are you for real? Obviously Britain, Australia and other countries have a use for crossed cheques.

I do most of my transfers online but I still use cheques too.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
197 upvotes
moneytech wrote: Arggg ! pulls hair ! very frustrating, I called PCF and they have no idea what a crossed cheque is. When I said If I can draw two parallel line in the middle of the cheque and write "not negotiable" the CSR said that might void the cheque.
Such concept does not exist here.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
197 upvotes
brunes wrote: EDIT: Who the F write cheques anyway??? Are we living in the US now?
As I answer the same question you asked in another thread, at least, schools and lawyers want cheque.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.