Which bank embosses your name on the debit card

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2010 11:58 pm
[OP]
Jan 16, 2010
629 posts
21 upvotes

Which bank embosses your name on the debit card

I'm with TD, and I'm happy there, but they don't have my name printed or embossed on the debit card, seriously feel like just another customer at TD because of that.

RBC on the other hand has the customers name embossed on the debit card.

Anyone else know any other bank in Canada that does that on debit cards?
25 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2005
1667 posts
90 upvotes
Manulife Bank of Canada. Just looked, my card has my name embossed.

sort of reminds me of Clooney's character in Up In The Air trying to get that special frequent flyers card.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8485 posts
4310 upvotes
But you are "just" another customer.

They have stopped doing that because of fraud/security purposes.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2008
3271 posts
74 upvotes
TD embossed the name ages ago. The card I got in 2003 had my name on it.

CIBC will emboss the name if you request it, but the phone reps are reluctant to do it and branch staff will tell you they don't exist.

HSBC also embosses the name on Premier debit cards.

Many Credit Unions also have names embossed on their debit cards.

Banks have stopped doing it because of security purposes and because it's simply a waste to send out another card if a customer requests a replacement in the branch if it has the same functionality.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1853 posts
201 upvotes
They do it so that it's cheaper for them and they are able to issue your permanent card on the spot when you create your account. The security/fraud reason is BS because if that were the real reason then credit cards wouldn't have the owner's name on it.
Jun 25, 2006
197 posts
114 upvotes
Calgary
guessaaa wrote: They do it so that it's cheaper for them and they are able to issue your permanent card on the spot when you create your account. The security/fraud reason is BS because if that were the real reason then credit cards wouldn't have the owner's name on it.
Ya, some customers are still surprised when they get their cards and ask if it's temporary since there's no name, but for a lot of them they find it convenient to be able to get a new card in a 2 minute transaction.

The old cards with names always faded pretty quick anyways, that annoyed me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8485 posts
4310 upvotes
guessaaa wrote: They do it so that it's cheaper for them and they are able to issue your permanent card on the spot when you create your account. The security/fraud reason is BS because if that were the real reason then credit cards wouldn't have the owner's name on it.

Wanna get the facts straight before you call BS on something?

Which debit card offers the same protection as MC/VISA/AMEX when it comes to fraud?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1853 posts
201 upvotes
boyoflondon wrote: Wanna get the facts straight before you call BS on something?

Which debit card offers the same protection as MC/VISA/AMEX when it comes to fraud?
What you're referring to doesn't matter if there's a name on the card or not. I'm talking about identity theft.
Jun 25, 2006
197 posts
114 upvotes
Calgary
jewville wrote: I'm with TD, and I'm happy there, but they don't have my name printed or embossed on the debit card, seriously feel like just another customer at TD because of that.

I think banks already take more effort than other customer service industries to provide a tailored experience for each customer, trying to find the right products for them. It's kinda ironic in many ways, since the bank has to have standards in place to make money, and we get hundreds or thousands of customers that visit a single branch, but we're taught to make each transaction unique and make the customer feel special, and try to help them save money.

Telling the customer you can save them money or time, or offer convenience, is a really big thing in our transactions, and many customers are truly happy to know they can replace their card in minutes rather than waiting days.
[OP]
Jan 16, 2010
629 posts
21 upvotes
good to know Manulife Bank, HSBC (premier banking only), CIBC (upon request) offer embossed debit cards; but i guess only RBC is giving out embossed cards to everyone, maybe that's one of the reasons they are the top bank and the top company in Canada.

i would have to disagree with it being a huge security reason for not having names on debit cards. Interac does have a 'Interac Zero Liability Policy' in place for customers that have been victims of debit card fraud.

i think it's a cost-saving factor for the banks to not have the name embossed, because then they have to pay for getting the card embossed and pay for the cost of sending it out to the customer.

as for the banks always trying to giving the best customer service, what bank employees are taught and what they practice are two different things. just today i went into the bank and had a horrible experience, not because the teller did something wrong with the transaction but just because they way she did the transaction was just nauseating and uncomfortable, but that could be because i'm a hard guy to please. banks always have to give us the best customer service possible, because that is where i keep some of the things that are most important to me.
Sep 9, 2005
787 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
It doesn't take days to create a name-embossed card. It can be done in minutes at the branch.

When I opened my accounts at the Toronto Citizens boutique, they took a totally blank card, inserted it into a machine on the desk, and out popped my card fully imprinted with my name and card #.

If a tiny outfit like Citizens can do this, surely the big banks could have one or two of these machines in-branch, at least bigger branches, to personalize cards for customers.
Oct 15, 2008
166 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
jewville wrote: I'm with TD, and I'm happy there, but they don't have my name printed or embossed on the debit card, seriously feel like just another customer at TD because of that.

TD does have embossed names on their debit cards. If you get the cards straight from the branch they have a supply of blank ones that can be given out anytime to anyone for use permanently.

If you want to feel special then go into a branch (phone banking) and get them to re-issue you one on their system which will send you a card embossed with your name on it. Once you use the new card your old one will cancer automatically.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2808 posts
196 upvotes
GTA
Markenstein wrote: TD does have embossed names on their debit cards. If you get the cards straight from the branch they have a supply of blank ones that can be given out anytime to anyone for use permanently.

If you want to feel special then go into a branch (phone banking) and get them to re-issue you one on their system which will send you a card embossed with your name on it. Once you use the new card your old one will cancer automatically.
TD doesn't issue embossed cards
it is a security issue and therefore the company has decided to stop embossing

for those of you who believe its cost savings, its not...
it is actually done to protect the clients... whether you believe it or not is up to you