Personal Finance

Which bank embosses your name on the debit card

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2010 11:58 pm
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
This is such a dumb thing to worry about when it comes to choosing a bank. Why not just go with the bank that offers you the best services for you? Who cares what it says on your card? The thing is out of site 99% of your life anyways.
May 6, 2009
125 posts
47 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote: TD doesn't issue embossed cards
it is a security issue and therefore the company has decided to stop embossing

for those of you who believe its cost savings, its not...
it is actually done to protect the clients... whether you believe it or not is up to you
Out of curiosity, what is the gain in security? Moreover, how is this not an issue with a credit cards, which I believe always have your name?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1853 posts
201 upvotes
adr1an wrote: Out of curiosity, what is the gain in security? Moreover, how is this not an issue with a credit cards, which I believe always have your name?
Exactly. There's absolutely no security advantage between a (debit) card with a name on it and a (debit) card with no name on it. In fact both types require a signature on the back regardless, which you could say is more of a security risk, especially when some people sign their full name legibly instead of arbitrary squiggly lines.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4368 posts
205 upvotes
The security advantage is because they don't have to mail out a card to you that could be stolen while in the mail.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19759 posts
4359 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
What bugs me is that cards that are not embossed make it more difficult to detect the kind of fraud where the crooks manage to swap your card with another very similar looking card.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jun 25, 2006
201 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
One thing about embossing names on credit cards, that's pretty important when it comes to getting cash advances. There isn't much from when you ask for a cash advance to when you get your cash that prevents fraud. If you bring in your real ID, and the CC is real, even if it's stolen, you'll most likely walk away with some cash...
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2812 posts
201 upvotes
GTA
adr1an wrote: Out of curiosity, what is the gain in security? Moreover, how is this not an issue with a credit cards, which I believe always have your name?
debit card = instant loss of cash... 3 - 8 weeks of inconvenience due to loss of cash

credit card = loss of credit which will be reimbursed... cc companies will typically ask you not to pay for the frauded portion and when reimbursed, the interest will reimbursed as well

debit card with a name on it... you drop your card, fraudster then pulls up your address on the yellow pages, birthday through social networks (eg facebook), calls up telephone banking and transfers out all your cash...

without a name, they are searching for info against a signature... is that not much harder?
May 27, 2006
219 posts
3 upvotes
probably because people loose thier cards all the time and its a waste of time and money for banks to do so.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1853 posts
201 upvotes
gq_fuzion wrote: debit card with a name on it... you drop your card, fraudster then pulls up your address on the yellow pages, birthday through social networks (eg facebook), calls up telephone banking and transfers out all your cash...

without a name, they are searching for info against a signature... is that not much harder?
As I said earlier, some people sign their full name in a legible manner. So they can still have your name one way or another.
Dec 19, 2018
2 posts
TD does emboss with your name you just have to go into the branch and request one be mailed to you :)
Dec 19, 2018
2 posts
TD does offer them if you call in and ask for them, I got a new one when I added something to my account and it was mailed to me with my name on it i just did this last month.