Home & Garden

Bank Mortgage Discharge Documents

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 9:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1687 posts
149 upvotes

Bank Mortgage Discharge Documents

Hi RFD,

our family recently paid off our mortgage and applied for a discharge of the mortgage. it took us almost 3 months to get the discharge letter from the bank. is that normal?

also it was only a 1 page discharge letter. should there have been any other documents such as the property title?

has anyone discharged their mortgage? and if so, how long did it take you to get your discharge letter and what's normally included in the discharge document package? thank you
16 replies
Sr. Member
May 21, 2008
797 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
We paid off ours on Sep 1st but still waiting for the discharge papers. Called them few times and it’s different answer every time. Last time I was told that it could take up to 6 months to get the discharge papers due to pandemic.
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2015
865 posts
952 upvotes
Canada
Friend of ours waited like 1 month but this is before covid. Can you post the discharge letter here? Of course blank off the important details.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1687 posts
149 upvotes
yanksingh wrote: We paid off ours on Sep 1st but still waiting for the discharge papers. Called them few times and it’s different answer every time. Last time I was told that it could take up to 6 months to get the discharge papers due to pandemic.
we paid off in mid october and finally got the discharge letter last week. initially, was told it would take 5-10 business days , after it didn't arrive, they said 4-8 weeks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1687 posts
149 upvotes
Sonbuster wrote: we paid off in mid october and finally got the discharge letter last week. initially, was told it would take 5-10 business days , after it didn't arrive, they said 4-8 weeks.
sorry for privacy purposes i can't post the letter, but i can tell you what's on it.

1 page.
Letter is called Discharge of Charge
Shows:
Property info like PIN , Description and address
Discharging parties (the bank that held the charge)
Digitally signed by a lawyer of the bank?


i hope that helps.
Sr. Member
Feb 17, 2015
865 posts
952 upvotes
Canada
I think thats it. As far as I recall, when they sold the house they gave that 1 page discharge letter to their lawyer and the house was sold and all is well.
Sonbuster wrote: sorry for privacy purposes i can't post the letter, but i can tell you what's on it.

1 page.
Letter is called Discharge of Charge
Shows:
Property info like PIN , Description and address
Discharging parties (the bank that held the charge)
Digitally signed by a lawyer of the bank?


i hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1169 posts
639 upvotes
Ripley
We did not discharge the mortgage. We transferred into a HELOC. RBC Homeline or something like that. At the time it was suggested by our lawyer to prevent title fraud. No fees and we don't use the mortgage part or the HELOC part.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1476 posts
615 upvotes
Congrats on paying off your mortgage. That's a milestone to celebrate. We paid off ours on our old place, but like Zeddy, transferred it to a RBC Homeline Plan HELOC. Depending on what you're planning long term, if you are thinking of selling eventually, close off the HELOC because it'll have to be discharged when you close the deal and that added time to our situation.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1687 posts
149 upvotes
exrcoupe wrote: Congrats on paying off your mortgage. That's a milestone to celebrate. We paid off ours on our old place, but like Zeddy, transferred it to a RBC Homeline Plan HELOC. Depending on what you're planning long term, if you are thinking of selling eventually, close off the HELOC because it'll have to be discharged when you close the deal and that added time to our situation.
thank you. it's quite and accomplishment for us.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9953 posts
5241 upvotes
Paris
Sonbuster wrote: thank you. it's quite and accomplishment for us.
Good on you. But having worked in financing, the discharge paperwork in general is a very cold, underwhelming letter.
Penalty Box
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
4728 posts
1693 upvotes
Sonbuster wrote: Hi RFD,

our family recently paid off our mortgage and applied for a discharge of the mortgage. it took us almost 3 months to get the discharge letter from the bank. is that normal?

also it was only a 1 page discharge letter. should there have been any other documents such as the property title?

has anyone discharged their mortgage? and if so, how long did it take you to get your discharge letter and what's normally included in the discharge document package? thank you
discharging-mortgage-ontario-2415378/#p33390621
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1687 posts
149 upvotes
thanks for your input everyone.

hopefully the last question: after receiving the discharge papers would i need to get a lawyer and have them register that with the land/property registry office to have the lender removed? or does the lender already do that for you? our lender was with scotiabank. thanks again.
Sr. Member
Oct 22, 2016
662 posts
563 upvotes
Comox Valley
Sonbuster wrote: thanks for your input everyone.

hopefully the last question: after receiving the discharge papers would i need to get a lawyer and have them register that with the land/property registry office to have the lender removed? or does the lender already do that for you? our lender was with scotiabank. thanks again.
My discharge (notarized) papers took around 3 weeks to get from the Canadian Western Bank. In the docs, they sent me, they advised me it had to be filed with Land Title Office (I am in BC). I have an online account with them, and I asked them if I could file online. They advised me, no, it had to be mailed in to them, along with a fee (I think it was $35).

It is possible your bank, does this final step themselves. Regardless after a period of time, do an online search of your property details, to make sure it has been removed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1687 posts
149 upvotes
User452441 wrote: My discharge (notarized) papers took around 3 weeks to get from the Canadian Western Bank. In the docs, they sent me, they advised me it had to be filed with Land Title Office (I am in BC). I have an online account with them, and I asked them if I could file online. They advised me, no, it had to be mailed in to them, along with a fee (I think it was $35).

It is possible your bank, does this final step themselves. Regardless after a period of time, do an online search of your property details, to make sure it has been removed.

this is a brand new learning process for me, really appreciate the help here everyone.
thanks!

i called the land registry and they advised me to buy the parcel package ~2 months after the date of the letter to give them time to update it. i'm just curious if the lender proactively advises the land registry offices of the update or if we have to do it. hopefully the lender (my bank) will do it.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8953 posts
3325 upvotes
Mississauga
Do i need to worry about having a discharge letter if i sold home, and naturally mortgage was paid off/discharged and it was all done through lawyer?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36155 posts
10260 upvotes
Ottawa
kenchau wrote: Do i need to worry about having a discharge letter if i sold home, and naturally mortgage was paid off/discharged and it was all done through lawyer?
I never got a discharge letter either. I asked and they said they did not do that anymore (TD).
If selling the house, apparently the purchasers lawyer will do all the checking if there are mortgages and liens on the house.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8953 posts
3325 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: I never got a discharge letter either. I asked and they said they did not do that anymore (TD).
If selling the house, apparently the purchasers lawyer will do all the checking if there are mortgages and liens on the house.
Thanks. That makes sense! I guess I can just log in and print off or save to PDF the balance showing $0, if nothing else.

Top