99 posts
92 upvotes
Call a lawyer and the police(Not 911).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3369 posts
1983 upvotes
Edmonton
CatherineD62017 wrote: What should I do?
Don't go back to that store.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9060 posts
2652 upvotes
London
I had something similar happen to me, except they made me fill out an application and work 3 saturday shifts.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13356 posts
2253 upvotes
City of Vancouver
A store doesn't have to have enuf evidence to press charges against u to ban u from a store. U r free online shop there, anyways.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Ottomaddox wrote: I had something similar happen to me, except they made me fill out an application and work 3 saturday shifts.
Niccce.. they made you pay off what you stole. A teachable moment. *welp* Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13263 posts
2605 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
CatherineD62017 wrote: When they saw what was in my jacket, they just said “oh” and told me to leave. I told them that’s what I was doing, and they said I was banned from coming back to the store. What should I do?
First off, I've neva seen a security guard at Cdn Tire. *side eye* Besides, IF TRUE... just go to another Cdn Tire. No 1 caresss nor GAF. That's like banning you from a MickyD's. Sooo... who caresss. 5 more down the street. Better yet go to Home Depot. Much better service anyway. Electric Light Bulb
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jun 1, 2006
6843 posts
5994 upvotes
Toronto
markopas wrote: There are so many holes in this story you would consider it Swiss cheese.
More like rotten Swiss cheese
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3423 posts
19301 upvotes
You don’t get let go and then get banned from the store, I call BS. If OP didn’t want to comply with security and store manager, it’s possible that the OP could’ve been pulled back for questioning for dumping before being discovered and confronted OP. A lot of big box stores employ undercover security to walk the stores and follow/profile people for theft.
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14283 posts
4771 upvotes
London
To be fair... They are doing you a favor. Why would anyone shop at Canadian Tire still?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8533 posts
2313 upvotes
Mississauga
Move on no story here.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4642 posts
1634 upvotes
aznnorth wrote: First off, I've neva seen a security guard at Cdn Tire. *side eye* Besides, IF TRUE... just go to another Cdn Tire. No 1 caresss nor GAF. That's like banning you from a MickyD's. Sooo... who caresss. 5 more down the street. Better yet go to Home Depot. Much better service anyway. Electric Light Bulb
Local CTs have hired security to stand at the door, I'm sure in response to putting in self-checkouts.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14318 posts
8725 upvotes
Toronto
call diamond and diamond.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7234 posts
2027 upvotes
T dot 6
Being banned from crappy tire is no loss. They sell low quality garbage. You not saving money when you have to buy the same item again else where.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9895 posts
1923 upvotes
Victoria
You might have legal grounds if you hadn't exited the door yet. Even if you were guilty, you're not guilty until you've walked out of the store with the item.

That being said. You also could of completely diffused the situation. Sorry it was a misunderstanding, I was putting my toque in my pocket. See.. it's my toque. That's probably what I would of done. It's occurred to me before that a floor walker might see someone put their phone, sunglasses, toque etc... back in their pocket and mistake it for shoplifting. I don't think I'd take the route of provoking them as a solution to the problem.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9060 posts
2652 upvotes
London
jcon wrote: Local CTs have hired security to stand at the door, I'm sure in response to putting in self-checkouts.
Are you sure it's an actual guard? 'round here some had a cardboard cut out.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1538 posts
1883 upvotes
Anyone who believes this story is gullible
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4932 posts
522 upvotes
Victoria
I believe concealing an item is considered shop lifting. Not defending crappy tire here I like every Canadian hate it there
Not a political sig
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2100 posts
1351 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
zod wrote: Even if you were guilty, you're not guilty until you've walked out of the store with the item.
This is so incorrect but it is a common fallacy. However I will state that this is best practice as most LPOs are lacking in training, evidence, court practices and being able to formulate their observations into intelligible thought and speech. However the C.C. is very clear on when a theft is committed and I highly doubt that Toronto P.S. members at the LCBO are going to wait for someone to just exit the store first.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/ ... 322subsec2

322 (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently and without colour of right takes, or fraudulently and without colour of right converts to his use or to the use of another person, anything, whether animate or inanimate, with intent
(a) to deprive, temporarily or absolutely, the owner of it, or a person who has a special property or interest in it, of the thing or of his property or interest in it;
(b) to pledge it or deposit it as security;
(c) to part with it under a condition with respect to its return that the person who parts with it may be unable to perform; or
(d) to deal with it in such a manner that it cannot be restored in the condition in which it was at the time it was taken or converted.

Time when theft completed
(2) A person commits theft when, with intent to steal anything, he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4642 posts
1634 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: Are you sure it's an actual guard? 'round here some had a cardboard cut out.
LOL. Yes, it's an actual rent-a-guard.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.