Shopping Discussion

Locked: Banned from store?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2019 8:43 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4054 posts
2817 upvotes
In OP's defense some CT managers are jerks. A while back I bought driveway sealant on sale and was told that I could come back with it to get it shaken (like they do with the paint). So a few weeks later when I'm ready to seal the driveway I go in and I was told that I have to go to the other CT in town to get that done, which I did and only to be told that they don't shake driveway sealant (well why tell me that I could). Anyways I go to leave the store and manager follows me to the parking lot in an accusatory way as if I had stolen it. When I explained the situation (staff saw me coming in with a big bucket) - he just said well I just wanted to know we were watching you and that we got a call from the other CT! That did not sit well with me - I didn't respond to him but after that incident I avoid buying anything at CT - much rather give my business to HD or HH.
May 17, 2013
9 posts
9 upvotes
I find it remarkable that not only did you find an employee in a Canadian tire but you convinced them to talk to you. OP you should be thrilled. I've never been that lucky.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9905 posts
1927 upvotes
Victoria
rcmpvet wrote: This is so incorrect but it is a common fallacy. However I will state that this is best practice as most LPOs are lacking in training, evidence, court practices and being able to formulate their observations into intelligible thought and speech. However the C.C. is very clear on when a theft is committed and I highly doubt that Toronto P.S. members at the LCBO are going to wait for someone to just exit the store first.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/ ... 322subsec2

322 (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently and without colour of right takes, or fraudulently and without colour of right converts to his use or to the use of another person, anything, whether animate or inanimate, with intent
(a) to deprive, temporarily or absolutely, the owner of it, or a person who has a special property or interest in it, of the thing or of his property or interest in it;
(b) to pledge it or deposit it as security;
(c) to part with it under a condition with respect to its return that the person who parts with it may be unable to perform; or
(d) to deal with it in such a manner that it cannot be restored in the condition in which it was at the time it was taken or converted.

Time when theft completed
(2) A person commits theft when, with intent to steal anything, he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable.
I remember working in a grocery store (albeit 25 years ago) and they had to make big changes, because the police were having issues prosecuting shoplifters. Intent is a little greyer if nab the person before they leave. They exit the premises with the good, it's more cut and dry. I guess it's one of those things where interpretation and execution is a little bit different than how it's warranted. My work at the time hired a loss prevention firm who scouted, survey, and apprehended once the person left the store. Much higher prosecution rate (albeit still slaps on the wrist for theft under 5000).
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1362 upvotes
Each Crappy Tyre is an individual franchise, so while an individual franchise store can ban you at their option, it is very unlikely, unless you receive a letter from head office, that they can actually ban you from all stores.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8539 posts
2315 upvotes
Mississauga
burnt69 wrote: Each Crappy Tyre is an individual franchise, so while an individual franchise store can ban you at their option, it is very unlikely, unless you receive a letter from head office, that they can actually ban you from all stores.
That is correct. Bigger problems than being banned from a Canadian Tire Store lol
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
595 upvotes
Toronto
Viper98 wrote: To be fair... They are doing you a favor. Why would anyone shop at Canadian Tire still?
You are talking as if it was a $3,99 pizza slice joint. Can you find me another store chain with similar products and with as many convenient locations as Canadian Tire? And don't start with Princess Auto, they are few and exist only in the fringes of the GTA.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12991 upvotes
MusicBox wrote: Can you find me another store chain with similar products and with as many convenient locations as Canadian Tire?
I mean... they're getting to be a pretty general store so even Walmart would come pretty close depending on what you're after.
Obviously not 100% overlap but there's probably another store I'd rather go to than either crappy tire or Walmart.

Princess Auto comes to mind for tools and some general merchandise.
Not so much Automotive (as in fluids etc) though.
And don't start with Princess Auto, they are few and exist only in the fringes of the GTA.
Even though GTA is the center of the universe, you'd be surprised to know that not everyone lives there.
My local Princess Auto is actually closer to me than the nearest Canadian Tire.

Even if they weren't closer, I'd still drive there for a few reasons:
-They actually stand behind the crap they sell.
-You can actually find someone to help you find something.
-Their regular pricing while still higher than sales isn't nearly as ridiculous.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7243 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
rcmpvet wrote: This is so incorrect but it is a common fallacy. However I will state that this is best practice as most LPOs are lacking in training, evidence, court practices and being able to formulate their observations into intelligible thought and speech. However the C.C. is very clear on when a theft is committed and I highly doubt that Toronto P.S. members at the LCBO are going to wait for someone to just exit the store first.

https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/stat/ ... 322subsec2

322 (1) Every one commits theft who fraudulently and without colour of right takes, or fraudulently and without colour of right converts to his use or to the use of another person, anything, whether animate or inanimate, with intent
(a) to deprive, temporarily or absolutely, the owner of it, or a person who has a special property or interest in it, of the thing or of his property or interest in it;
(b) to pledge it or deposit it as security;
(c) to part with it under a condition with respect to its return that the person who parts with it may be unable to perform; or
(d) to deal with it in such a manner that it cannot be restored in the condition in which it was at the time it was taken or converted.

Time when theft completed
(2) A person commits theft when, with intent to steal anything, he moves it or causes it to move or to be moved, or begins to cause it to become movable.
The issue is that in stores people are generally invited to take property items from the store and bring them to the owner's representatives (cashiers) in order to make an offer to buy the item(s). Therefore, it is difficult to articulate that is known that the person intends to steal something (instead of paying for it) unless they have left the store or passed the cashes.
Penalty Box
Jul 13, 2012
7243 posts
969 upvotes
Ottawa
zod wrote: I remember working in a grocery store (albeit 25 years ago) and they had to make big changes, because the police were having issues prosecuting shoplifters. Intent is a little greyer if nab the person before they leave. They exit the premises with the good, it's more cut and dry. I guess it's one of those things where interpretation and execution is a little bit different than how it's warranted. My work at the time hired a loss prevention firm who scouted, survey, and apprehended once the person left the store. Much higher prosecution rate (albeit still slaps on the wrist for theft under 5000).
One thing that should be made clear is that although there are general requirements for an employee to arrest a shoplifter (such as having seen them commit the act) there are no such requirements to kick someone out of the store. The store is private property, and they can kick them out for just about any reason, including that they suspect they are shoplifting (even if they are not sure).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8270 posts
2012 upvotes
Mississauga
Sounds like it was a made-up post of a teenager.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2924 posts
67 upvotes
Thornhill
Same thing happened to me. The manager even poured bleach on me and yelled "This is Canadian Tire". I fought back!
Jul 13, 2016
799 posts
477 upvotes
Becks wrote: A store doesn't have to have enuf evidence to press charges against u to ban u from a store. U r free online shop there, anyways.
How will you pick up your online order if you're banned?
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12270 posts
1155 upvotes
Brampton
emilio911 wrote: How will you pick up your online order if you're banned?
Wear a burka.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2227 posts
1571 upvotes
SW Ontario
You must be a former employee ... those are the only ones Inthought they banned.

My guess is you were looking for trouble or confrontation as a former staff member.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...