Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8210 posts
4762 upvotes
Kootenays

Banners scrolling with the threads?

Seems today when I click on a thread and scroll down, the big banner near the top of the thread follows down as I go down the thread. It's new and very distracting. Is it going to be permanent? Desktop, Chrome, Windows 10.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4642 posts
2994 upvotes
Burnaby
smacd wrote: Banners scrolling with the threads?

Seems today when I click on a thread and scroll down, the big banner near the top of the thread follows down as I go down the thread. It's new and very distracting. Is it going to be permanent? Desktop, Chrome, Windows 10.
I noticed that too. Also, the top ad banner stays deployed (after a mouse over) and covers the top rows of the menu. I've also noticed threads that lack the cell grid (lines) around posts (only the opening post has them all around but not the replies). Happening on different web browsers in Windows and Android. My guess is a buggy roll out.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Dec 11, 2013
13 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
Yeah i hate the new change and hope it goes back back. It's so annoying!
Last edited by TomRFD on Mar 12th, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate comment
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18373 posts
5701 upvotes
Toronto
I'd consider a paid membership just to remove this feature, that's how much I hate it.

Just saying. I noticed right away lol
RedFlagDeals Addict
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14312 posts
26773 upvotes
Scarborough
We're currently testing out new implementations of the leaderboard advertisement. A decision will be made in the coming days in regards to what we do with it moving forward.

We welcome your feedback regarding this new change so please share your thoughts here, via private message or through our contact us page.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8210 posts
4762 upvotes
Kootenays
We hate it! To make matters worse, if I click on the arrows to go to the first unread entry in a thread, the stupid banner covers up to 2 or 3 posts that I haven't read.

It's also even more distraction when the banners are active. Trying to read something that requires concentration and having a scrolling /flashing/refreshing every 30 seconds banner just above eye level is soooo awful. It's giving me a headache! There are websites I refuse to visit because of this. I would hate to have to add RFD to the list!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9052 posts
2907 upvotes
whatever you did at the of the page when scrolling is really weird.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4995 posts
2136 upvotes
Remember when being a member meant no ads?

Now I see breaks on the forums with an ad between threads and ads on the new post screen.

Is this what RFD has become or do I have a virus?

I guess bills need to be paid and there is less paid posts ... but still.
Jul 7, 2019
379 posts
289 upvotes
Extremely annoying and completely ruining my experience visiting these forums.
Understand that ad revenue needs to be made, but put it in a place that wont lower traffic.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
1355 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
When clicking thru a subscription the page is loading to the correct post but due to the banner ad at the top of the page it forces you to scroll up to the relevant post that you clicked thru on.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14312 posts
26773 upvotes
Scarborough
spooky wrote: When clicking thru a subscription the page is loading to the correct post but due to the banner ad at the top of the page it forces you to scroll up to the relevant post that you clicked thru on.
It also happens with notifications and any other direct form of linking to a post within a thread. I've made note of the bug.
arisk wrote: I'm assuming this is related to the changes.
The quick flash of an large red image has returned.
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/screen- ... #p30895749

So far, I'm only seeing it when I home the Hot Deals forum.
I've also experienced this and will bring it up with the dev team. I think this one might be unrelated to this particular change though.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4642 posts
2994 upvotes
Burnaby
What about a dividing line (bottom line) at the floating top ad banner? Just like kijiji does it. In addition, RFD could keep the current 3 ad layout (top, right, bottom) for logged in users with their current behavior and insert ads in threads (centered) every certain number of posts for lurkers (say, every 5 posts, so it'd add two more ads per standard rows thread full page -- 15 posts/page). This way RFD would encourage peeps to log in to browse the forums, there'd be a differentiation between logged in users and lurkers, and RFD would get two new ad revenue sources. Kijiji does it with their query result list and it's not that disruptive (after getting used to that).
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs