• Jul 10th, 2020 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24090 posts
32547 upvotes
Toronto

Barbados to offer '12 month welcome stamp'. Come and go as you please

I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20907 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Expensive destination ...

BUT the weather is consistently beautiful year round, the people are wonderful, and it’s a relatively safe sensibly run island, member of the Commonwealth, with a familiar form of government & laws.

If I had the bucks, and a job where it would work out (ie NEVER have to come back to Canada for a year).

AND ... could get health coverage, while the world is filled with Covid.

It certainly would be tempting.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17934 posts
1500 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
^ yup, also... I feel for them. They're heavily dependent on tourism. I mean, the entire Caribbean is, but like you said they're much more developed so it would be more viable to WFH there rather than Cuba or Mexico (lol)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22286 posts
20907 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
konfusion666 wrote: ^ yup, also... I feel for them. They're heavily dependent on tourism. I mean, the entire Caribbean is, but like you said they're much more developed so it would be more viable to WFH there rather than Cuba or Mexico (lol)
Yes and they also have good medical.

Had a boss back in the 70s who retired there.

I would love to do the same ... but it would be a case now of winning the lottery ... not just having had a good job in the past.

Barbados always was expensive ... and attracted many Royals & Celebs since the 1950s onward ... when I first visited the west side of the island where many stayed was known as “The Gold Coast” (ie Sandy Lane Hotel = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Lane_(resort) )

But in the last 25 or so years, it’s become even more developed (condos, resorts, 5 star Restaurants, designer shopping, etc) that it’s now so much a Mecca for the glitterati that it’s been renamed “The Platinum Coast”

It’s an AMAZING island though ... a true paradise with it’s near perfect year round weather. Good education system. Decent medical system. No wonder it ties with Japan for having more folks over 100 than anywheres else.

I tell you if you can afford it ... Barbados is truly a slice of heaven on earth