Buy lump charcoal and get 50% off charcoal wand

Deal Link:
Price:
$40.00
Savings:
50% off
Retailer:
Barbecues Galore
Buy any bag of lump charcoal and get 50% off Big Boy Wand. Ordered yesterday and had it dropped off at door that evening. Free shipping over $75. I've had one of these starters for 3 years, burnt the end off and just got some metal mesh and wired it back together.
Last edited by Twobits on May 15th, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
20 replies
Mar 18, 2015
217 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
What’s special about this charcoal? $40 for 20lbs. Seems really expensive. Are they just using this to claw back discounts for that wand?
[OP]
May 12, 2012
26 posts
13 upvotes
AIRDRIE
Buy any bag of lump charcoal. I usually buy Kamado Joe at Lowes, when it's buy 2 get 3. Just thought I'd try this one, had a good reviews.
Nov 26, 2008
809 posts
445 upvotes
GTA
Are these wands worth it? I always use a chimney starter
[OP]
May 12, 2012
26 posts
13 upvotes
AIRDRIE
It is all I've been using. I did heat up a charcoal starter and bend it in a vice to fit the kamado, then use a hand air bellow. This wand takes less than a minute, just don't walk away like I did.
Nov 1, 2017
834 posts
327 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: Are these wands worth it? I always use a chimney starter
I rarely use my HD wand.

The heat doesn't spread that well, so only the coals with direct contact get activated.
(I usually load my wand and coals in the chimney starter)
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2012
1090 posts
2457 upvotes
Charcoal already? It's not Christmas yet...
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3620 posts
1928 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: Are these wands worth it? I always use a chimney starter
I can't comment on the quality of the wand itself, but the $80 price tag seems ridiculous since it is just a heat gun which goes on sale at Princess Auto for about $15.
Sep 23, 2007
151 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
PerformingAzura wrote: I rarely use my HD wand.

The heat doesn't spread that well, so only the coals with direct contact get activated.
(I usually load my wand and coals in the chimney starter)
That's great if you want to do a slow smoke though. I have to get the wax cubes in order to easily light only a few of the coals at first.
Aug 21, 2016
295 posts
444 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Am I missing something here? Walmart carries Royal Oak Blue bag 10lbs for $7 every year, what is so special? Also, If you use a chimney, do you even need the wand?
RFD Effect Is Real
Jan 8, 2019
17 posts
7 upvotes
Regina, SK
Royal Oak Blue Lump + electrical style starter (https://www.amazon.ca/Char-Broil-125846 ... B06W5VR3ZF) is the way to go.

All these new expensive methods of lighting coals... for petes sake.

And as for the Royal Oak - been using it for years and the only small issue is you have to pick out rocks every now and then. Otherwise, low ash, good burn.
Jul 1, 2008
270 posts
33 upvotes
hunto306 wrote: And as for the Royal Oak - been using it for years and the only small issue is you have to pick out rocks every now and then. Otherwise, low ash, good burn.
I use this as well - good price and found nearly everywhere. As for starters of any kind... I use rolled up paper towel or cardboard and dip it in veg oil. I don't see the need for yet another "thing". You're lighting charcoal, it's not rocket science.
Nov 1, 2017
834 posts
327 upvotes
NineOne wrote: That's great if you want to do a slow smoke though. I have to get the wax cubes in order to easily light only a few of the coals at first.
I was under the impression you wanted a really hot fire going in order to get that thin blue smoke.

At low heat you get the cloudy smoke that burns your eyes and gives your meat an odd aftertaste if you smoke it too long.
Sep 23, 2007
151 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
PerformingAzura wrote: I was under the impression you wanted a really hot fire going in order to get that thin blue smoke.

At low heat you get the cloudy smoke that burns your eyes and gives your meat an odd aftertaste if you smoke it too long.
It will still get hot enough around the wood to get you the right kind of smoke, it just won't burn all the charcoal at once. Check out YouTube for videos on the "snake method" and the "minion method" for example.