Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA

Barrier to prevent roots from spreading

Does anyone know where I can find some sort of flexible metal or plastic barrier I can put in my flower bed to contain the roots of my lily of the valley patch so it won't spread?

Something similar to this but taller (at least 12") and available in the GTA:

Grass Barrier

Thanks.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8111 posts
3902 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Plant in plastic pots? That's what's done with mint.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
thriftshopper wrote: Plant in plastic pots? That's what's done with mint.
Unfortunately, they're already in the ground. Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2513 posts
1491 upvotes
Edmonton
Lily of the valley has extremely vigorous roots. You’re going to have to go down at least a foot and you’ll also have to have it raised above soil level by at least 4 inches. It will punch through most fabrics so a solid barrier is recommended. If you can contact an eavestroughing company, then might be able to sell you some of the stock they make the eavestrough with. Choice of colours, too.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2513 posts
1491 upvotes
Edmonton
thriftshopper wrote: Plant in plastic pots? That's what's done with mint.
Doesn’t work so well, roots go over the lip and out the drainage holes.
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
walleye*guy wrote: ... It will punch through most fabrics so a solid barrier is recommended.
Do you think tarp would work? Or those plastic drawer liners?

For example: Variera drawer mat
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6385 posts
5754 upvotes
You could try plastic garbage with rocks over top to prevent sunlight and oxygen - that kills pretty much everything.

It's funny I keep hearing/reading they're invasive but I planted them ~4 years ago they haven't spread....I can't say the same about weeds though :-/
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
hierophant wrote: You could try plastic garbage with rocks over top to prevent sunlight and oxygen - that kills pretty much everything.
I don't want to kill everything, just keep what I have (and no more!).
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2513 posts
1491 upvotes
Edmonton
Gigi wrote: Do you think tarp would work? Or those plastic drawer liners?

For example: Variera drawer mat
Drawer mat might work, but how would you join the seams?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
walleye*guy wrote: Drawer mat might work, but how would you join the seams?
The only thing I can do is over lap the edges.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6385 posts
5754 upvotes
Gigi wrote: I don't want to kill everything, just keep what I have (and no more!).
Umm you place it over whatever you want kill/stunt growth (same as using tarp) :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2003
2111 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
hierophant wrote: Umm you place it over whatever you want kill/stunt growth (same as using tarp) :facepalm:
I think you've misunderstood my intention. I already have a patch of lily of the valley growing. I am looking for a barrier that surrounds the patch so that the roots don't keep on extending over and grow more plants. The barrier would go vertically into the ground, like a wall.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6385 posts
5754 upvotes
Gigi wrote: I think you've misunderstood my intention. I already have a patch of lily of the valley growing. I am looking for a barrier that surrounds the patch so that the roots don't keep on extending over and grow more plants. The barrier would go vertically into the ground, like a wall.
Oh ok sorry. As far as I know, unless you have them in a isolated flower bed, all you can really do is dig up the ones you don't want

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)