Home & Garden

Baseboard heaters estimated hydro cost-Ottawa?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2017 11:04 am
[OP]
Feb 8, 2017
34 posts
4 upvotes

Baseboard heaters estimated hydro cost-Ottawa?

Hi,

I am about moving into a place of my own for the first time and I have an apartment I am quite interested in here in Ottawa. Its a 380 square foot one bedroom apartment with electric baseboard heating. I am responsible for paying hydro and the landlord will pay partial heating. I am guessing the heating cost will form part of my hydro bill. Can anyone tell me what to expect in hydro costs? I will have a fridge, stove, microwave, toaster and electric kettle. I will also have my computer plugged in after working hours and may get a small television.

There is no way to ask the current tenants as I only view the apartment when they are not there and the landlord says he doesnt have any idea what the average cost will be.

Thanks.
9 replies
Feb 18, 2010
995 posts
466 upvotes
Greely
You might want to find out what the landlord has in mind vis-a-vis "partial heating".

calculator link

Electric heating is quite expensive if served by Hydro One, but somewhat better if the building is served by Hydro Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1164 upvotes
Assuming it's in a building with many units roughly the same size, might be worth knocking on a neighbors door and introduce yourself. Ask them how much they pay.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4345 posts
562 upvotes
Messed Up Area
Big difference of older baseboards vs newer ones.

We heat a 700 sqf house by electric heat, and costs us about extra 125-200 a month in winter, newer heaters + new insulation.

Since 1/2 the size would estimate 60-100 in winter months at max for heat.

As for other items, depends on your usage but say anyways from 25-75 month.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1164 upvotes
All baseboard heaters are close to 100% efficient. The difference is either your insulation or possibly a new thermostat that would take advantage of time of use electricity and heat during off peak.

theguyz wrote: Big difference of older baseboards vs newer ones.

We heat a 700 sqf house by electric heat, and costs us about extra 125-200 a month in winter, newer heaters + new insulation.

Since 1/2 the size would estimate 60-100 in winter months at max for heat.

As for other items, depends on your usage but say anyways from 25-75 month.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
860 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
We have electric baseboard in our house, along with two gas fireplaces. Our hydro bill was killing us so we put in a heat pump. I know that's not an option for many, but electric heat of any kind is expensive.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1190 posts
260 upvotes
OTTAWA
newbutterfly wrote: Hi,

I am about moving into a place of my own for the first time and I have an apartment I am quite interested in here in Ottawa. Its a 380 square foot one bedroom apartment with electric baseboard heating. I am responsible for paying hydro and the landlord will pay partial heating. I am guessing the heating cost will form part of my hydro bill. Can anyone tell me what to expect in hydro costs? I will have a fridge, stove, microwave, toaster and electric kettle. I will also have my computer plugged in after working hours and may get a small television.

There is no way to ask the current tenants as I only view the apartment when they are not there and the landlord says he doesnt have any idea what the average cost will be.

Thanks.
IF you have signed the lease, it is TOO late to ask about how much the hydro bill would be. As others have said, you can enquire current tenants of the building of the similar size of your apartment about the hydro costs. Electric heating is the most undesireable heating in winter as it is very dry and costly.

What is "PARTIAL HEATING" offered by the landlord? Don't be fooled by the landlord. To protect yourself, write down the PERCENTAGE of the bill responsible by either party ON THE LEASE and signed by both parties. Always stay away from electric heating, if possible. Just my 2 cents.
Mar 1, 2016
276 posts
217 upvotes
I lived in a one bedroom apartment in Ottawa with baseboard heat about 10 years ago. I seem to recall that the worst months (Jan-Feb) were north of $250/month. The apartment was a semi-basement, so that may have played a role as well. In any event, I would want it clearly spelled out in the lease what part of the heating cost would be covered by the landlord.
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1808 posts
518 upvotes
To bad you couldn't move to Quebec right across the river from ottawa , you could heat a whole house cheap cause electricity is nothing there.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11474 posts
6656 upvotes
Paris
shawn01 wrote: To bad you couldn't move to Quebec right across the river from ottawa , you could heat a whole house cheap cause electricity is nothing there.
Extension cords?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)