43 posts
3 upvotes
Oakville, ON

Baseboard size in basement-please help

Our home has the following ceiling heights:
Upstairs 9 feet
Main floor 10 feet
Basement 9 feet ( maybe 2inches less)

Main floor and upstairs have 7.25 inch baseboards and that looks great.

We are finishing the basement and need to decide the baseboard size.
The basement finisher has 4 inch baseboards as the standard. I think that's too small, do you agree?
We can upgrade to 5 inch for $1250 and 7 inch for $1500.
What would you do?
10 replies
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Go to Home Depot and look in the millwork section. You can buy baseboard in whatever lengths you want. Find the cheapest in the heights you want and buy 3' of each. I doubt it will cost you more than $20. Take it home and see what it looks like in place. Then you can take the guesswork out of your decision
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
457 upvotes
Guelph
Big is in. Go with the 7".
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1267 posts
695 upvotes
Oshawa
This shouldn't even be a choice. The 7" baseboard is the way to go.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1117 posts
414 upvotes
Mississauga
Lacklustre has made a good suggestion, get some samples and decide which one appeals to you.

Your pricing isn't of much value as we don't know what the design, thickness, type of material, pre-primed etc which can more than triple the price. Sort of like saying the dealers price on a new Toyota Corolla is $24000.00 is that a good price. What trim level, what options, are their financing and the list goes on?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1632 posts
617 upvotes
Toronto
You've got tall ceilings in your basement, 4'' will look cheap. Go for the taller 7'' baseboard.

If you're in the GTA, you can check out Central Fairbank Lumber - they have many, many different casing options:

http://centralfairbank.com/mouldings/baseboards.html

My personal preference would be to avoid MDF baseboards in the basement due to the potential of swelling from moisture/water exposure. Go with paint grade poplar (wood)

For your reference, we are finishing our basement currently and have 7 foot ceilings. I will be using 5 1/2'' Ogee profile paint grade poplar.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2015
43 posts
3 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Thanks so much to everyone. I will absolutely go with the 7 inch.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10087 posts
5340 upvotes
Paris
Joyofmouldings.com

Often larger baseboard can be layered with smaller stuff on top of simple ripped strips.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3292 posts
2272 upvotes
Toronto
What material is your builder using? Unless the basement is huge with lots of doors/corners, for $1,500 I'd want poplar baseboards done with proper coped inside corners.
Dec 7, 2004
290 posts
50 upvotes
What's the price per ft for the 5 1/2'' Ogee profile?

jacquesstrap wrote: You've got tall ceilings in your basement, 4'' will look cheap. Go for the taller 7'' baseboard.

If you're in the GTA, you can check out Central Fairbank Lumber - they have many, many different casing options:

http://centralfairbank.com/mouldings/baseboards.html

My personal preference would be to avoid MDF baseboards in the basement due to the potential of swelling from moisture/water exposure. Go with paint grade poplar (wood)

For your reference, we are finishing our basement currently and have 7 foot ceilings. I will be using 5 1/2'' Ogee profile paint grade poplar.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
468 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
There is such thing as an "ideal" size. It is 6.07".
signature removed for inappropriate content