• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2020 3:43 pm
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
191 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto

Basement apartment

Hey, I have a 4level backsplit and want to legally re t the two lower levels as one apartment. The 1st level already has living room, washroom and bedroom. Also has large wi does. The 2nd level has just one large room and furnace and laundry room. I want to add a kitchen to 2nd level and add a partition wall for bedroom. Has anyone done this recently and got their own building permits? Can you help me out with the process. I contacted a few companies but they want $2000 to do drawings and get permit. Is it really that much work for that? I want to do myself to get permit and get a contractor to do most work. There's a seperated exit, just needs a partition wall.

Any help is appreciated :)

I'm in mississauga
12 replies
Dec 9, 2013
608 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
As a fire inspector that has taken autocad/building code courses with a BCIN, even I would pay someone to make and submit the drawings. You don't save money there, imo.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9978 posts
5253 upvotes
Paris
danieldcc wrote: Hey, I have a 4level backsplit and want to legally re t the two lower levels as one apartment. The 1st level already has living room, washroom and bedroom. Also has large wi does. The 2nd level has just one large room and furnace and laundry room. I want to add a kitchen to 2nd level and add a partition wall for bedroom. Has anyone done this recently and got their own building permits? Can you help me out with the process. I contacted a few companies but they want $2000 to do drawings and get permit. Is it really that much work for that? I want to do myself to get permit and get a contractor to do most work. There's a seperated exit, just needs a partition wall.

Any help is appreciated :)

I'm in mississauga
The main answer is: YES. It is $2000 and 100% worth it.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
191 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I still don't see the value. I'm not taking out koad bearing walls and just need a new kitchen. The other stuff to meet apartment code like egress and fire rules. Why is it $2000 i don't get. Maybe if it was being designed from scratch
Jun 4, 2020
817 posts
763 upvotes
Clarington, ON
danieldcc wrote: I still don't see the value. I'm not taking out koad bearing walls and just need a new kitchen. The other stuff to meet apartment code like egress and fire rules. Why is it $2000 i don't get. Maybe if it was being designed from scratch
You are designing from scratch though. You are adding a dwelling unit. These drawings should address things including: egress, fire separations, detection and early warning that will be required to satisfy the building inspector.

miscbrah1 wrote: As a fire inspector that has taken autocad/building code courses with a BCIN, even I would pay someone to make and submit the drawings. You don't save money there, imo.
Same. CAD experience. BCIN. Fire Inspector. Some things aren't worth doing yourself.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12593 posts
7320 upvotes
Markham
danieldcc wrote: I still don't see the value. I'm not taking out koad bearing walls and just need a new kitchen. The other stuff to meet apartment code like egress and fire rules. Why is it $2000 i don't get. Maybe if it was being designed from scratch
$2000 is not even one months rent probably. Just meeting you, checking the space etc you're in for $500-1000 of time. I think the drawings/permit and likely advice that comes with it is not a lot. Do you really want to start things off "on the wrong foot"?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
May 12, 2003
371 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
OP

I think you're looking at this incorrectly.

IMO, you are thinking that you need drawings for a new kitchen and partial wall for bedroom. That is not correct.

You need to make this into a legal 2nd unit, meaning there has to be a LOT more done and an architect with building code knowledge can help.
  • Fire seperation between the 2 units, you may be asked to change drywall. If there are doors between units, they may have to be fire doors
  • Electrical may need updating
  • HVAC, does each room has its own vent
  • Each bedroom needs to have its own smoke alarm
  • Etc
May 11, 2008
811 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
OP, you're basically starting from scratch.

It sounds like they'll need to send someone out to site measure the space, I'm assuming there are no as-built drawings.
The existing doors, windows and separations may require to be upgraded.
When they prepare the BP documents, they'll need to do a code analysis (exiting, allowable openings, fire separations required, safety devices, etc.) in addition to the drawings.
If the $2000 is the cost of the drawings and the permit then that's pretty cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9978 posts
5253 upvotes
Paris
ssj4_ootaku1 wrote: OP

I think you're looking at this incorrectly.

IMO, you are thinking that you need drawings for a new kitchen and partial wall for bedroom. That is not correct.

You need to make this into a legal 2nd unit, meaning there has to be a LOT more done and an architect with building code knowledge can help.
  • Fire seperation between the 2 units, you may be asked to change drywall. If there are doors between units, they may have to be fire doors
  • Electrical may need updating
  • HVAC, does each room has its own vent
  • Each bedroom needs to have its own smoke alarm
  • Etc
I think the issue is that OP doesnt know what’s involved, so doesnt understand why drawing it will be so expensive. So OP needs help from someone who knows, but thinks they want too much. OP is trapped in an infinite loop.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1013 posts
870 upvotes
ON
When I had drawings and permits done for a basement apartment as well as a separate entrance, it cost me about $1600-$1700. In my case drawings had to be done for the main floor and first floor of the house as well and also the outside elevations of the house. In total there were a total of 9 drawings that were submitted to the city. This was 4-5 years back and I was told this was city’s requirement.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5084 posts
1374 upvotes
We paid $2k for drawings to take down a single wall.

As another poster mentioned, it involved a detailed drawing of every floor in the house, a drawing of the reconfigured floor, plus external elevation drawings. Oh yeah, in Aurora I needed to submit the property survey too...all for a single wall.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1291 posts
1294 upvotes
as others have said, it's not "just a partition wall"
[OP]
Jan 2, 2008
191 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks all.