• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2022 11:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5023 posts
1703 upvotes

Basement Bathroom - 2 piece or 3 piece?

I have a builder roughed-in basement bathroom for a toilet, vanity and shower. The room is 8x8 so not overly small or large, but may look odd with just a vanity and toilet.

I'm wondering if I need a shower. We have two full bathrooms on the top floor. I have a 4-year-old and imagine it'll be 10+ years before the shower would get any regular use. I would almost never use the shower, apart from the odd time I need to shower early in the morning or late at night.

Everything is roughed in, so there would be minimal additional work to do the shower at a future date.

Has anyone been down this road before? What decision did you make?
Let's hug it out
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9333 posts
3699 upvotes
Maple
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7136 posts
2749 upvotes
GTA
No one has ever installed a 3 piece washroom and wished they hadn't put in the shower. But many people who put powder rooms in the basement....
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
14789 posts
6327 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We finished our basement 6 years ago and put in a full 3-piece bathroom in the basement (with a stand-in shower). 4 years later, we decided to renovate the main and 2nd floors so for a few weeks we lived out of our basement while the contractor worked upstairs. Wouldn't have been possible if we didn't put in a shower in the basement.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1132 posts
526 upvotes
GTA
It would be best to add in shower now too as well, doesn’t make sense to not add it in if you know you will eventually need it. Depending on type of shower rough in location might not workout, best to layout the room completely now.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3147 posts
763 upvotes
Ancaster
Go with the 3 piece...you won't regret it. It'll cost far more if you decide to do it in the future after the initial reno.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1223 posts
778 upvotes
London, On
Put it in now, you will hate the fact you didn't later when you are doing more work to add it in than you thought it would take. Odds are the drain won't be in the right spot for a shower base if you go that route. And if you build a shower from scratch, you are going to hate starting that out in an otherwise finished room. I hate the fact the prior owners of my house only put a 2 piece in our basement. My son took over a room down there and has to go to the second floor for the shower and we have had family come stay with us and set up portable beds in the basement family room and a full bathroom down there would have been great for them as well.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2011
1122 posts
921 upvotes
Toronto
3 piece for sure to future proof, will cost less than a retrofit as well
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5023 posts
1703 upvotes
Here's a second question. Tub or shower?
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9333 posts
3699 upvotes
Maple
RCGA wrote: Here's a second question. Tub or shower?
I would prefer 'shower'. It's basement, emergency or quick!
I hate to speculate. I hate to forecast. I am just proactive.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1132 posts
526 upvotes
GTA
Less potential issues and or failure points with a good quality tub, but I prefer a shower as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
6509 posts
2645 upvotes
3pc shower
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)