Home & Garden

basement/built side entrance- issue? how to resolve?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2015 10:04 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes

basement/built side entrance- issue? how to resolve?

got my side entry door done for half a year ago and got a city letter required permit. how to resolve? i guess my neighbour complain to the city?

need to submit diagram :

drawing (program) for diagram side entry door? auto cad? anyone can send me their drawing?>?

million thanks
38 replies
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
196 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
Give them a hand drawn sketch , with accurate measurements , as built.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1159 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
Keep in mind the city may assume that the entrance was build to accommodate an illegal basement apartment so ensure all is in order when they come to visit.

Neighbours don't normally call the city unless there is a concern, not sure what prompted a possible phone call to the city.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote: Keep in mind the city may assume that the entrance was build to accommodate an illegal basement apartment so ensure all is in order when they come to visit.

Neighbours don't normally call the city unless there is a concern, not sure what prompted a possible phone call to the city.
i am assuming city will sent a letter out questioning the side entry door. my reason for installing one is for "emergency exit" since i dont have a garage access door just in case there's fire going on in my house

the second letter city might be questioning about illegal basement for installing a side entry door
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1159 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
I don't believe the city will send a letter questioning an illegal basement apartment unless someone has complained with specific proof. I only stated they may be on the lookout after they gain entry to the basement once the inspection process starts.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2624 posts
1615 upvotes
Alliston, ON
You may need engineered drawings seeing as how this is a structural upgrade. Then you can probably expect a city inspector to come by and verify the job was done according to the drawings.
Is this really worth saving the $1-200 for the cost of the permit initially, and the risk of having to redo the door if its not done properly
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
Be prepared to bend over. The city isn't exactly lenient when it comes to permits long after the work has been done, especially when it comes to things related to basement apartments. Let's hope your contractor knew what they were doing. That being said if they didn't, they should have told you that you needed a permit in the first place.

Trying to poach someone else's drawing isn't the way to solve this
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1149 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
OP, you got yourself in deep. I currently have a client that did not get a permit for a small vestibule addition to the rear. He's been to court twice, given two options. Tear it down or get a permit. I was afraid that we could not get a permit, but I managed to get one.
Now he's in a predicament with the inspector. The inspector will sign off on the build only IF my client can prove there's a foundation dug four feet deep. He now has two options, get a shovel and dig OR find an Engineer to stamp what is currently built. I just found out earlier in the week that none of my Engineers will take on this liability whatever the cost.

In your case OP, you're in a bigger predicament. You need to 1) get blueprints (given), 2) apply for Zoning Certificate, 3) may need to apply for Committee of Adjustment to get allowance for a walkout, 4) hire an engineer to stamp your drawings and that your contractors built everything to code. Otherwise, you destroy the entry and fill up the hole.

Having an "emergency exit" is a really poor excuse. You have a front door and a rear door as means of egress. Nobody should need to escape a basement (as weird as that sounds).
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1159 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
Northofseven wrote: Give them a hand drawn sketch , with accurate measurements , as built.
If only it were that easy to complete the process.

That may have been a good way to start this process if you're applying for a permit from day one but since it's already built without a permit, it's a whole new ballgame, played by different rules.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes
Faemow wrote:
Having an "emergency exit" is a really poor excuse. You have a front door and a rear door as means of egress. Nobody should need to escape a basement (as weird as that sounds).
you are allow to have an emergency exit since i dont have an entry access from my garage to my house
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2011
1159 posts
436 upvotes
Mississauga
noNuser

In the previous post you quoted me incorrectly, as it's not my quote it's Faemow quote. I don't know how you managed that but please correct it as they're not my words.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote: noNuser

In the previous post you quoted me incorrectly, as it's not my quote it's Faemow quote. I don't know how you managed that but please correct it as they're not my words.
fixed SIR
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1149 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
noNuser wrote: you are allow to have an emergency exit since i dont have an entry access from my garage to my house
Do you not have a rear door? or a side door? I cannot think of an older house without two means of egress. Why would it matter if you have access to your garage or not. My own house, I have no access to my garage.

With this said, EVEN IF you mention this to an inspector or a judge, you need reasonable proof that you need an alternate emergency exit through the basement and not from the ground floor.

Just my thoughts, good luck OP.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
[OP]
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes
Faemow wrote: Do you not have a rear door? or a side door? I cannot think of an older house without two means of egress. Why would it matter if you have access to your garage or not. My own house, I have no access to my garage.

With this said, EVEN IF you mention this to an inspector or a judge, you need reasonable proof that you need an alternate emergency exit through the basement and not from the ground floor.

Just my thoughts, good luck OP.
i forgotten to mention the side door is located at the ground floor

i do have a reasonable explanation
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7264 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
noNuser wrote: i forgotten to mention the side door is located at the ground floor

i do have a reasonable explanation
Its hard to follow your description. Was the side entrance framed into your homes wall, with interior stairs to the basement leading from that entry?

That shouldn't be too difficult to have sketched up now and the header over doorway etc can be verified without too much damage to your home. I think a few posters thought you added a direct entrance to the basement from the exterior, with cement steps etc.
[OP]
Banned
Sep 1, 2012
1783 posts
78 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: Its hard to follow your description. Was the side entrance framed into your homes wall, with interior stairs to the basement leading from that entry?

the separated side entry can access to the basement as well with 10 stair down from the ground

Zamboni wrote: That shouldn't be too difficult to have sketched up now and the header over doorway etc can be verified without too much damage to your home. I think a few posters thought you added a direct entrance to the basement from the exterior, with cement steps etc.
there is no digging or step added, this is why i have a reasonable explanation to have an emergency exit
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
noNuser wrote: the separated side entry can access to the basement as well with 10 stair down from the ground

there is no digging or step added, this is why i have a reasonable explanation to have an emergency exit
Curious, why you didnt get the permits in the first place?
Not knowing you needed them is a poor excuse now a days as information is so readily available