Basement entrance from backyard

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2021 5:09 pm
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes

Basement entrance from backyard

Which is better either the Side entrance or the entrance from backyard to access the basement? This is the first time ,we are building a basement.We are not sure of the pros and cons with the entrance from backyard.Will it hurt the resale value in future based on the access ?
30 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12643 posts
9243 upvotes
Edmonton
Are you doing it for your personal use, or so you can rent out the basement? I'd say a lot depends on the layout of the lot and house, where the parking (if any) is, what your intentions are for the basement, etc. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

C
Sep 28, 2012
205 posts
100 upvotes
Mississauga
My neighbour drilled a hole from garage ground and built stairs to the basement. He also added a side door from one side of garage to give a separated entrance.
I can’t believe until I saw it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9115 posts
790 upvotes
If it is not for rental purpose, there isn't even a need to have a separate entrance to basement.

We have an open to above basement which is connected to the main floor. We use the basement just like another floor in the house. Love the way it is. Slightly Smiling Face
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Are you doing it for your personal use, or so you can rent out the basement? I'd say a lot depends on the layout of the lot and house, where the parking (if any) is, what your intentions are for the basement, etc. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

C
Yes it is for a rental purpose
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1046 upvotes
ON
OP, assuming the basement is below grade, side entrance would be much cheaper on the assumption that the entrance will be where the inside stairs go down the basement. From the backyard you will have to dig down the stairs which would be more $$$.

Also if you’ll be pulling a permit then sometimes side entrance may not be approved due to grading or set back requirements so backyard may be the only option left.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes
Holystone wrote: OP, assuming the basement is below grade, side entrance would be much cheaper on the assumption that the entrance will be where the inside stairs go down the basement. From the backyard you will have to dig down the stairs which would be more $$$.

Also if you’ll be pulling a permit then sometimes side entrance may not be approved due to grading or set back requirements so backyard may be the only option left.
Thank you for the reply
Jan 21, 2011
810 posts
334 upvotes
GTA
Do you have a basement layout as it is right now? I think side is always better especially before backyard fence unless the tenants are allowed to use backyard.

If you have a pic of first floor and basement layout, it would be easier to see what works best. My previous neighbor did an entrance in the garage to basement.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14254 posts
9024 upvotes
Markham
Which you do/consider doing depends a lot on the layout of your house or property as well. Are the stairs doing down going to be outside or inside?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 14, 2012
712 posts
447 upvotes
Woodstock
If no other differences in cost or apartment layout, consider that you will have to shovel snow to the entrance--that usually makes a back entrance more work.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes
lamin wrote: Do you have a basement layout as it is right now? I think side is always better especially before backyard fence unless the tenants are allowed to use backyard.

If you have a pic of first floor and basement layout, it would be easier to see what works best. My previous neighbor did an entrance in the garage to basement.
This is a fairly new house(3 yrs old). There is a potential to have side entrance as well.The architect mentioned that backyard entrance can create more space and would be able to allot another room.
This would be the first time we are building a basement.Hence wondering about the drawbacks of having a basement from the backyard.
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes
BetCrooks wrote: If no other differences in cost or apartment layout, consider that you will have to shovel snow to the entrance--that usually makes a back entrance more work.
Thank you for this input
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Which you do/consider doing depends a lot on the layout of your house or property as well. Are the stairs doing down going to be outside or inside?
If the entrance is from backyard, stairs would be from outside . Would be a hindrance to the tenant during peak winter especially with the snowfall ? In that case , is side entrance preferred ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6880 posts
2445 upvotes
GTA
Where are you located OP? Some areas have bylaws that secondary suite (basement apartment) entrance can only be x metres maximum from front of the house. In Markham for example on a deep house the sliding doors on walkout basement weren't eligible to be primary access. The sliding doors were ok for egress as second way out but that's it.

Often the side setback regulations make it impossible to have concrete steps built inground.

The most economical side entrance is cutting a door in where existing interior stairs are going down to the basement, if those stairs to basement are on side of the house. Of course many factors decide if that is viable, if it is that works best. Often the stairs turn at a landing, if close to outside grade in height that is your first choice.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14254 posts
9024 upvotes
Markham
Ownhouse wrote: If the entrance is from backyard, stairs would be from outside . Would be a hindrance to the tenant during peak winter especially with the snowfall ? In that case , is side entrance preferred ?
It's not so much preferred, it just depends on what fits and how your house layout is.

If your first floor is at street level, the side entrance means you have to build a set of stairs down one flight.
Alternative, if your first floor is say half way above street level, you have to build a half flight of stairs down.
Any flight of stairs is a reduction of interior space and depending on what is on that side, it may or may not fit easily. If you have a wide area on the side of the house, it may be possible to build stairs down from outside but not that many ppl have that wide an area on the side of their house to accommodate that.

From a aesthetic perspective, a backyard entrance is best but it can also be a lot more expensive as you might consider excavating a much bigger space going down...this bigger space might include more than just a simple door, it can be a expanse of window which brings more light to the basement which can bring in more $ in rent as it'll be a lot more bright.

Look at pics of basement entrance backyard

https://www.google.com/search?q=entranc ... 42&bih=547

These pics are much nicer than a simple dark stairway. It's gonna bring in more light and that tenant can in theory have a outdoor entertaining area if that area was made even bigger.

Screenshot 2021-05-29 10.13.50 AM.png
Screenshot 2021-05-29 10.17.29 AM.png
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Apr 19, 2021
24 posts
2 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: It's not so much preferred, it just depends on what fits and how your house layout is.

If your first floor is at street level, the side entrance means you have to build a set of stairs down one flight.
Alternative, if your first floor is say half way above street level, you have to build a half flight of stairs down.
Any flight of stairs is a reduction of interior space and depending on what is on that side, it may or may not fit easily. If you have a wide area on the side of the house, it may be possible to build stairs down from outside but not that many ppl have that wide an area on the side of their house to accommodate that.

From a aesthetic perspective, a backyard entrance is best but it can also be a lot more expensive as you might consider excavating a much bigger space going down...this bigger space might include more than just a simple door, it can be a expanse of window which brings more light to the basement which can bring in more $ in rent as it'll be a lot more bright.

Look at pics of basement entrance backyard

https://www.google.com/search?q=entranc ... 42&bih=547

These pics are much nicer than a simple dark stairway. It's gonna bring in more light and that tenant can in theory have a outdoor entertaining area if that area was made even bigger.

Screenshot 2021-05-29 10.13.50 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-05-29 10.17.29 AM.png
Ours would not be similar to this kind of walkout basement. We have to dig down few stairs to reach the basement.

May be similar to the one in the picture below
Images
  • A22A1585-BDB3-4DEA-9ED9-3754AE510E34.jpeg
Mar 10, 2004
762 posts
274 upvotes
Put it on the side. Leave back for deck.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9115 posts
790 upvotes
Are you sure they drilled it inside the garage ? I thought the concrete for garage floor is all the the way thick to the basement level for extra weight support. Thus, the basement floor plan usually doesn't include the space below garage.
kwu0914 wrote: My neighbour drilled a hole from garage ground and built stairs to the basement. He also added a side door from one side of garage to give a separated entrance.
I can’t believe until I saw it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9115 posts
790 upvotes
All I can foresee from this photo is that if the drain is clogged for whatever reason, the basement will be flooded. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Like I mentioned in my previous post, for those who are not planning to rent out the basement, don't do this to create more potential problems for no reason. Winking Face
Ownhouse wrote: Ours would not be similar to this kind of walkout basement. We have to dig down few stairs to reach the basement.

May be similar to the one in the picture below