[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada

Basement finishing cost / Getting a permit

Hi guys,

I have a unfinished sub-basement 10x20 sq + finished basement (entrance level) 20x20 sq, one piece room...
I want to finish sub-basement + put a kitchen in basement...

sub-basement: 3 piece bathroom + furnace cover + electric panel cover + stairs finishing required here. Height is 10sq

basement: need plumbing work to one wall from somehow + new kitchen with granite counter top, 10 sq length, on one side of the wall...

1. Do I need permit? (Mississauga / ON)

2. How much does permit cost? Somebody from government said, it is 11 per sq meter + some extra, and for basement, we need to calculate whole 20x20 area, so total will be 600 sq and it is 6600 + extra things for each work... is that correct?

3. almost all builders said we do not need permit (no rent - will be used for extra living area + office).

4. one said, if we get a permit, the cost of build will be extra 15-25K$ according to the city rules... is this correct?

5. right now, just 10x20 sub-basement quote is like 25K + 15K for new kitchen for basement...

am I getting ripped-off?
What should I pay for all these, or just sub-basement and/or basement work (new kitchen with some plumbing work), + painting...

Can you give me ideas of costs for each piece of work here...

need help to decide...

thanks...

here are the images for my 10x20x10 sq sub-basement

and here is the 60-sec video of my sub-basement (mute if you do not want to hear my breath Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes)...
https://www.veed.io/download/07173b15-e ... 283b239297
Last edited by hainkurt on Aug 13th, 2021 1:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
simple is the best...
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1997 posts
1728 upvotes
GTA
Here you go:

https://www.mississauga.ca/services-and ... -required/

Permit is required when:

Basement including:
Finishing a basement to create rooms or living space
Basement apartment (also known as second unit)
Excavating a increase existing headroom

Here are costs:

https://www.mississauga.ca/services-and ... me-frames/

You can go through that, however it should be noted your unit rate you quoted was per METRE and you multiplied it by an area in FEET, so you're overestimating by a factor of 10.8. All in all, it should be a small fraction of the total cost. ESA permit would be separate.

3. Refer to above, you need a permit if going from unfinished to finished.

4. $15-25k seems extremely expensive, I have a feeling that they are just trying to get you to just go without permits. Even if you were turning it into a full rental suite, which you're not, if you needed a new egress window and you added a seperate walkup entrance, that might be $15k, but you aren't doing these things so I have no idea why they would quote that crazy price.

5. $25k for 200sqft, I would lean to the side of you're getting ripped off, but we don't really know any details on the scope.

Without a defined scope of work, we can't really give you numbers. A normal 800-1000sqft basement you could spend anywhere from $30k to $200k finishing it. Even more if you really wanted too. Your best bet is probably to start with AGM or Penguin or XYZ larger company, they are the easiest to deal with, likely the most expensive, and very reliable. Start with them, that will give you a good ceiling, then its up to you if you want to go with them or shop around for some comparable quotes with smaller guys, or what not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada
thanks for your thoughts...

sub-basement: 10 stairs down, 10x20 sq, 10 ft height...
a rectangular plain area...
left side i have furnace, right side i have electric panel + old sink...

I want to add a 3-piece bathroom in one corner, and add some shelves left and right...
i already have all plumbing ready here...
just for the shelving they quoted 1500, which i said no, leave it empty, i will add something from ikea, or build myself from rubbermaid...

for this part, they ask for 25K$

for basement, i want to add a kitchen, very basic, 10 ft length, and on one wall...
plumbing required for sink, and an exhaust to the outside...
for this part, they ask for another 15K$

if i get a permit, it will be maybe 2.5K + ESA as you said...
but to build everything based on permit, total cost will go up to 50-75K!!! extra 15-25K!

I could not get this part... if it is built based on permit, why I am paying another 15-25K on top of it, I do not get that part...
materials and workmanship cannot go up that much! I suppose...

so, I got 2 quotes from 2 company so far, and they gave me about same, ~40K total without permit...
and I found this too much!
simple is the best...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada
You can go through that, however it should be noted your unit rate you quoted was per METRE and you multiplied it by an area in FEET, so you're overestimating by a factor of 10.8. All in all, it should be a small fraction of the total cost. ESA permit would be separate.
price calculation given by Mississauga Municipality...
and based on that, 200 ft sq sub-basement, + 400 ft sq for basement (they calculate based on whole are, not just work area), i need to get permit for 600 ft sq!

if it is 11 / ft², it becomes 6600 + other fees
if it is 11 / meter², it becomes around 660 + other fees, total 1000-1500$ i guess, which is reasonable...
Last edited by hainkurt on Aug 13th, 2021 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
simple is the best...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada
I added some pictures + 60 sec video, mute please, o/w you will hear my breath :)
simple is the best...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7370 posts
3083 upvotes
hainkurt wrote: thanks for your thoughts...

sub-basement: 10 stairs down, 10x20 sq, 10 ft height...
a rectangular plain area...
left side i have furnace, right side i have electric panel + old sink...

I want to add a 3-piece bathroom in one corner, and add some shelves left and right...
i already have all plumbing ready here...
just for the shelving they quoted 1500, which i said no, leave it empty, i will add something from ikea, or build myself from rubbermaid...

for this part, they ask for 25K$

for basement, i want to add a kitchen, very basic, 10 ft length, and on one wall...
plumbing required for sink, and an exhaust to the outside...
for this part, they ask for another 15K$

if i get a permit, it will be maybe 2.5K + ESA as you said...
but to build everything based on permit, total cost will go up to 50-75K!!! extra 15-25K!

I could not get this part... if it is built based on permit, why I am paying another 15-25K on top of it, I do not get that part...
materials and workmanship cannot go up that much! I suppose...
It sounds as though you are dealing with companies only interested in doing work without permits. I would avoid these companies completely.

A permit should not be adding 30-40% premium to the quote.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2024 posts
1089 upvotes
Oakville
hainkurt wrote: price calculation given by Mississauga Municipality...
and based on that, 200 ft sq sub-basement, + 400 ft sq for basement (they calculate based on whole are, not just work area), i need to get permit for 600 ft sq!

if it is 11 / ft², it becomes 6600 + other fees
if it is 11 / meter², it becomes around 660 + other fees, total 1000-1500$ i guess, which is reasonable...
Yes, building permits are done based on square meters of finished space and not based on the square meters of where you are putting something.

When you buy a house, or rent an apartment, they advertise the finished square feet area, and building permits work the same way, except the building permits use the metric system instead of the imperial system.

600 sq ft (imperial measurement) is equal to 56 sq meters (metric measurement), so your permit will be 56 x sq meter rate listed in the fee schedule, which will be a few hundred dollars.

As for the companies you are getting quotes from, they don't sound reputable if they offer a no permit option, as that means they aren't going to do anything by code correctly, most likely because they don't know the building codes and doesn't know how to comply.

These type of contractors may improperly cut and compromise your ceiling joists to make room for HVAC or plumbing. They may install drain lines incorrectly, which will cause sewer backups because of improper fittings, venting, slopes, etc. All the bad things you see on Holmes on Holmes.

Having the permits, is a low cost insurance (few hundred dollars cost on a 20k+ renovation), that means someone independent of the contractor verifies that everything was done correctly, and won't compromise the health and safety of the occupants of the home after the contractor leaves.

PS. The contractors are probably correct that it will cost you much more if you use THEM with permits, as they will have to rip out all the incorrectly done stuff that fails inspection and redo everything a second time...extra cost of wasted materials and labor to redo everything. Find a reputable company that will do everything correctly the first time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada
Find a reputable company that will do everything correctly the first time.
thank you cba123
I will keep looking at new companies...
But I think now it is clear that, I will get a permit and everything will be based on that permit...
and finishing by permit should not cost me more than 2-3K than without permit...

do you think a good idea, to work with 2 different companies,
one will do the framing, plumbing, HVAC, ESA, stairs... etc, all the basic stuff based on permit
+ another company that will install new bathroom, kitchen, painting, and adding fixtures and finishing touches?
or should I go with one company?
simple is the best...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4247 upvotes
Vaughan
hainkurt wrote: thank you cba123
I will keep looking at new companies...
But I think now it is clear that, I will get a permit and everything will be based on that permit...
and finishing by permit should not cost me more than 2-3K than without permit...

do you think a good idea, to work with 2 different companies,
one will do the framing, plumbing, HVAC, ESA, stairs... etc, all the basic stuff based on permit
+ another company that will install new bathroom, kitchen, painting, and adding fixtures and finishing touches?
or should I go with one company?
$2-3K will buy you sleep for $40K spent. Good investment!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada
why am I getting quotes around 40-55K for

- finishing 200sq feet subbasement (3-piece bathroom + furnace room)
- adding a simple kitchen to basement (plumbing/electric work needed)

what do you suggest guys?
simple is the best...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8405 posts
5291 upvotes
Mississauga
Installing new plumbing where there wasn’t any gets expensive very quickly (breaking up the floor, running new drains/supply lines, final construction).

And since you’re in the GTA it’s even more money (contractors around here have no shortage of work right now).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)