• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 7:42 pm
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
129 posts
19 upvotes
GTA

Basement Finishing - Metal Frame size

I'm planning on finishing part of my basement and am considering using metal framing. What size studs should be used? It seems that they come in 3 5/8", 2 1/2" and 1 5/8" sizes.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4833 posts
2088 upvotes
WFH
It doesn't matter too much but if you want to put anything in the cavity eg central vac pipe, plumbing, electrical outlets etc or have any doors in there I'd stick with 3 5/8"

Having said that, metal is great for bulkheads and boxing stuff in but I wouldn't use it for anything else.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2011
1169 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
sr20de_99 wrote: I'm planning on finishing part of my basement and am considering using metal framing. What size studs should be used? It seems that they come in 3 5/8", 2 1/2" and 1 5/8" sizes.
Why are you using metal?
[OP]
Jul 30, 2008
129 posts
19 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for the responses.

I haven't fully decided on metal vs wood framing, but the lightness and ease of transport, and not having to check for crowns on the wood are appealing. I know that they're not as strong as wood framing, but from what I've seen you can add wood bracing in sections that you know you're going to hang things. But I'm just at the planning and rough estimates stage right now.
Last edited by sr20de_99 on Jul 9th, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2273 posts
1331 upvotes
GTA
I used 3 5/8" metal studs in my DIY basement reno. It was simpler and cleaner to manage. Not having to search for and worry about the wood crowns and warpage when you are working sporadically DIY style was key. I did use wood for bracing around door frames where I wanted further strength. I also used the smaller ones when I had to box in stuff, saves time and cost.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3344 posts
1938 upvotes
Mississauga
My basement was finished with 3 5/8" metal studs. It was installed in front of the insulation and vapor barrier so I lost a few inches. Wood frames were used in sections that needed additional structural rigidity(Door, windows, TV wall, wet bar wall).
Jan 11, 2017
162 posts
90 upvotes
2.5 is fine, saves space and money. I use 6" for mechanical walls that have drains, vacuums, or HVAC runs. Just trim your door/window openings with 2x wood for attaching your jambs.

Steel is the best choice imo, been using it for 20+ years and when I'm forced to use wood I'm not happy about it. Good luck with your project.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)