None
[OP]
Sep 20, 2010
414 posts
356 upvotes
Hamilton

Basement finishing plans

I didn't see a related thread to this.

I have an unfinished basement. It's about 600-700 square feet. I don't have plans to rent it out. I'd like to think I am somewhat handy and can do some of the work but not everything. I'm wondering what if there is someone that can help with the actually design of the basement. I'd like to have one bedroom, a washroom and an open space with a bar area. Also a washroom. Also attached the builder layout of the basement.

Are there recommendations or advice from people that have finished their basement?
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22785 posts
21626 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Exact Dimensions of the big usable square / rectangular space would be helpful
(Ie the entire area beyond the stairway / hallway. The WHOLE rectangle ... just ignore the mocked up proposed rooms )

Then we can figure out if any sort of hallway is possible ... or if changing the proposed layout of the bathroom (Ie the entrance location) is needed ... or if something else might work better as to where the bathroom be located ... to accommodate an entirely open floor plan to make the most of the space for a Bedroom, Bathroom, Rec Room, and Utilities Room

Also, what is your ceiling height now ... including the corner bit where it’s labeled low headroom.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5076 posts
1466 upvotes
Kitchener
You will need plans and drawings if you're getting a building permit from the city. For the drawings, search for someone that has a BCIN and experience with basement designs in your city. Costs will be $1500-2500
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8402 posts
5272 upvotes
Mississauga
Hiring someone to do drawings is certainly a good suggestion. But for my basement I did my own using Chief Architect software and the city approved them no problem.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5956 posts
1613 upvotes
Milton
keep us posted @kobe360

were also going their the same processes of finishing our basement
Aug 31, 2012
682 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
I did my own drawings by hand and the city accepted them. No need to hire someone unless it is a complicated job. Start with the builder drawings and add in your plans.