• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2019 6:14 pm
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto

Basement floor insulation

Recently moved into a new house and noticed the basement floor tends to be quite cold since the beginning of the cold. While the thermostat on the main floor is set at 22.5, basement tends to be between 17 and 20 depending whether the heat is blowing or not, and floor is always cold Not sure what wall insulation is there, I don't think it is spray foam, but I don't think that redoing this insulation would change much as if insulation was poor, I assume temperature would go way below. As such, I was actually thinking of redoing floor insulation. Right now, only a plastic sheet is between the concrete and the hardwood flooring.

Would that help in getting 1 to 3C more in the room?

Any advice as to what materials I should be looking at?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
dimple membrane and carpet if you want the bare minimum
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: dimple membrane and carpet if you want the bare minimum
Carpet is not an option (allergies, etc)
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
Well, get ready to spend some money, membrane, build a sub floor, insulate, and laminate or if you really want to go balls out, tile and heating elements. Hydronic radiant heat would be ill advised.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1132 posts
581 upvotes
GTA
dimple membrane and plywood or dricore
[OP]
Jun 26, 2012
322 posts
599 upvotes
Toronto
Is dimple membrane not mostly for waterproofing? Would it help with room temperature? I don't have mosture or humidity issues.
Last edited by djskynet on Dec 2nd, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1132 posts
581 upvotes
GTA
you need an air gap between the concrete and finished floor
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15664 posts
16817 upvotes
Oakville
djskynet wrote: Recently moved into a new house and noticed the basement floor tends to be quite cold since the beginning of the cold. While the thermostat on the main floor is set at 22.5, basement tends to be between 17 and 20 depending whether the heat is blowing or not, and floor is always cold Not sure what wall insulation is there, I don't think it is spray foam, but I don't think that redoing this insulation would change much as if insulation was poor, I assume temperature would go way below. As such, I was actually thinking of redoing floor insulation. Right now, only a plastic sheet is between the concrete and the hardwood flooring.

Would that help in getting 1 to 3C more in the room?

Any advice as to what materials I should be looking at?
How about opening more vents and returns in the basement? That way it stays warmer, which will help with the floor. Otherwise, you need to tear up and add insulation as the other mentioned.