• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2016 10:27 am
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
6 posts
Nepean, ON

Basement Framing problem at a corner

Hi everyone,
We want to frame our basement, however, we are really stuck at this corner. The window is very near the ceiling joists and the adjacent wall (3" from it). In addition there is a duct running just till it's corner and along the perimeter on the adjacent cement wall.

If I make a soffit around the duct there would be no space to frame around the window, while not blocking the window as the soffit will cover some part of it. In addition, even if I make the soffit, the adjacent wall frame will have no place to be attached to the joist above, but by only the soffit, hence would be loosely hanging.
Moving the entire adjacent wall further from the perimeter would help stabilize the wall and hide the duct, but it will also cover at least quarter of the window :(
The duct is for an air register upstairs, and is running in the basement parallel to the perimeter of the house till the edge for about 8'. There is no space between the duct and the wall, and moving the duct is also not an option, as it will further cover up the window :(
Please help. I am not good at explaining so attaching the picture here.
Any idea will be very appreciated.
Thanks
3 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16989 posts
1814 upvotes
Thornhill
Can you move the vent as far towards the concrete wall as possible? Is that concrete wall an outside wall? I'm not sure if that will become a building code violation if you do that.

Also, if the vent only serves a floor register, you may get away with using a smaller pipe.

You may need to do the framing below the bulk head.

Another alternative is to move the floor register to be along the insulated wall (not sure what is upstairs).

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5076 posts
1466 upvotes
Kitchener
What's the duct diameter and are those engineered floor joist and what size? It might be possible to cut a hole in the last joist and run the duct through it
[OP]
Jan 27, 2016
6 posts
Nepean, ON
Thanks for the replies.
The room above is the family room, and the concrete is an outside wall.
The duct is 6" dia, the floor joist is the I type 9" wide and about 4' long. This is one of several joists running perpendicular to the bigger joists used for suspending a fireplace to the right, out of the house's perimeter.
Here is another view.