• Oct 27th, 2019 10:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor

Basement Kitchen Hood

I have a "basement kitchen" (currently just a washbasin, and a gas oven). When I bought the house, the oven was stuffed in a corner, and everything above it is all greasy. I've moved it away from the wall, added a plug, and am about to install some countertops to make it a bit more functional as a backup kitchen (that I will use).

The issue is that there is no hood, and I don't like that there isn't one. I was wondering if there are any considerations about how I might accomplish venting this hood.
20191025_181745-markup.jpg

If you're standing facing the oven, directly to the left, about 4' away, is an exterior wall. However, the gas meter is right there, meaning the outlet would be essentially underneath the meter; I assume this would be bad.
20191025_181854-markup.jpg

Going straight out the back of the area is a cinderblock wall, then a 4' wide cellar, then an exterior wall; there is nothing there other than soon-to-be-installed landscaping, so I can ensure nothing is near the outlet.

Going up into the joists, then out? I believe a rectangular outlet would essentially be JUST above the ceiling of the cellar, meaning it would be blowing right onto the patio surface.
20191025_181805_HDR-markup.jpg
20191025_181842-markup.jpg
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5178 posts
2594 upvotes
That’s not a kitchen, that’s a stove in your basement next to a laundry tub.
Your first step would be to apply for a permit of course. You can’t just add in a second kitchen in your basement (legally) without one. Secondly I doubt your home insurance would cover you if anything were to happen if it were not disclosed and done illegally

And no you cannot exhaust that close to the gas service regulator valve , you must be 3 feet from it and I believe from any window as well
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
May 15, 2017
207 posts
191 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: That’s not a kitchen, that’s a stove in your basement next to a laundry tub.
Your first step would be to apply for a permit of course. You can’t just add in a second kitchen in your basement (legally) without one. Secondly I doubt your home insurance would cover you if anything were to happen if it were not disclosed and done illegally

And no you cannot exhaust that close to the gas service regulator valve , you must be 3 feet from it and I believe from any window as well

Yep! LOL. This is good.
Dec 9, 2013
609 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a fairly new build as well, your only option is a permit if allowed.