basement leak issue

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2014 4:19 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2014
16 posts

basement leak issue

Hi,
Yesterday I discovered some leakage in my basement, I removed the laminate flooring, a layer of underlayment beneath , an another layer of vapor barriers below that, and reached the wet concrete floor.
I kept removing the flooring and found this (see picture), a piece of wood in between the concrete floor. The middle part of the wood is rotten and I can easily punch my finger through it and reach the soil below it. I don't think this is where the leak is coming from though. Does anyone have any clue why the wood would be here? This seems like a problem to me, should I try to remove the wood and pour concrete to fill that gap? if so , how should I do it? Thanks!!

7 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
Old house? New house?
What are all those squares in the photo? Were there tiles on the floor before?
Was one part of the basement an addition?
[OP]
Feb 23, 2014
16 posts
Pete_Coach wrote: Old house? New house?
What are all those squares in the photo? Were there tiles on the floor before?
Was one part of the basement an addition?
this is a 60 yr old house, squarea are marks from the previous tile after removing( i supoose),not sure if part of the basement was an addition, is it normal for addition though?
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1571 posts
242 upvotes
It ooks like there was a wall there before. Previous owner probably tear down the wall or something to make an open concept.
Oct 25, 2012
68 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
How is the ceiling height in your basement? Reason I ask is that I found the same wood layed about every 16 inches underneath an old finished room in my basement when i bought the house. I tore the cheap vinyl flooring up, and then the plywood subfloor and underneath that were the 2x4's embedded in the concrete. I assume the reason they did that was because i didn't have the ceiling height and they wanted to create a subfloor, while also leveling the floor.....so instead of pouring concrete to level and then go even heigher with a subfloor, they sort of combined the two steps into one...... Needless to say, i did find that the bottom side of pretty much all the 2x4's had varying degrees of rot. concrete is pourous and you should never have wood directly on concrete...over time, it will rot!
[OP]
Feb 23, 2014
16 posts
jman1717 wrote: How is the ceiling height in your basement? Reason I ask is that I found the same wood layed about every 16 inches underneath an old finished room in my basement when i bought the house. I tore the cheap vinyl flooring up, and then the plywood subfloor and underneath that were the 2x4's embedded in the concrete. I assume the reason they did that was because i didn't have the ceiling height and they wanted to create a subfloor, while also leveling the floor.....so instead of pouring concrete to level and then go even heigher with a subfloor, they sort of combined the two steps into one...... Needless to say, i did find that the bottom side of pretty much all the 2x4's had varying degrees of rot. concrete is pourous and you should never have wood directly on concrete...over time, it will rot!
the space on the right hand side has a ceiling height if about7ft,the bigger space on the left hand side has about 8ft, this is because of the duct work behind the drop ceiling.i agree with you about the concrete part, seems to be a very dumb idea to use wood on soil when it can get wet and rot...
[OP]
Feb 23, 2014
16 posts
Nafizur wrote: It ooks like there was a wall there before. Previous owner probably tear down the wall or something to make an open concept.
i don't think that's the reason because that would basically seal off that space and it doesn't make sense to have a room in that area,gotta be something else,but now I'm more worried the potential trouble this will cause and how u can fix this thing....