• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 3:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto

Basement reno contractor

Anyone with personal experience that can recommend their contractors?

we got a quote from penguin but they were way too much @close to 100k,

our budget is about half that
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1117 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
How big is your basement ? any extras ?
CoNtRaCtOr
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
It's hard to tell whether that was a good price without knowing all the details of what you want.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
Chickinvic wrote: It's hard to tell whether that was a good price without knowing all the details of what you want.
at this point, im just looking for recommendations, we're trying to use it as a place for inlaws to stay so it needs to have a shower, might have tenants in the future so needs to have a kitchen / sep entrance

i believe the sqft is about a 1250, whole house is 2500
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
so kitchen, bath and 2 bedroom?
Jul 10, 2013
71 posts
50 upvotes
Oakville
Just did a comparable size in the GTA for about $65k.
3 piece bathroom, large (semi unfinished) storage area, spray foam insulation, torlys vinyl floors and otherwise very open concept. No bar, no kitchen... very simple.

Penguin was one of our highest quotes, so keep looking around.
Nov 10, 2003
798 posts
261 upvotes
Concord
Don't have an exact reference for you.. But my basement was recently finished with some upgrades such as:

Glass insert doors, wine cellar with glass door, full tile bathroom with frameless glass shower, multiple tv cut space, 5ft bar area with quartz countertops and quartz backsplash with glass cabinet, subfloor with laminate.

But here are some key numbers you can keep in mind. If i work back the math, you can assume bathroom is 8k-10k, bar/kitchen is 7-9k. Rest of the basement is 20k.

Penguin for me was almost by far the most expensive.
UNOO - Meet Canada's Premium Heated Jacket
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Somewhat vague information provided. But a kitchen, separate entrance and to make a legal unit all adds substantially to the budget.

That said, Penguin are known to be rather expensive, offset with they probably won’t run off with your cash and likely to do it properly to code and with permits.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
Separate entrance alone is about 15k, might want to research that and hire a contractor who specializes in that area.

OP, if your house is 2500 sq ft the basement won't be 1250, there will be unfinished furnace/hot water room, possibly other unfinished storage?....house that size the finished basement is usually 900, 1000 sq ft max
Jul 28, 2008
436 posts
80 upvotes
TTony wrote: I charge $25 per sq ft in Peel, Halton, Toronto. Esa and 3 pc bathroom included, separate entrance, kitchen, bar, bathroom fixtures, floor, legal etc extra.
do you work in pickering? can you recommend someone who does? Please PM
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10205 posts
753 upvotes
100k is too much to spend on a basement.

Separate entrance cost me about $10k(not including permit) but it was done right.

Bathroom cost me $3k. Kitchen about $10k. Used sinks, countertops, cabinets.

We did all the framing, drywall and flooring. Saved so much money from that.

I think it cost me around $35k in total. Its nothing special but it has everything a tenant would need and its very comfortable.

My tenant have been there for almost 3 years. No complaint.
Mar 1, 2017
107 posts
69 upvotes
Here is the company that did mine a few years ago. They ar3 amazing.
Scavetta Renovations
(416) 803-6229
Vito
vito@scavettarenovations.com
Tell him Sean sent you.
They have done a couple of projects for me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
Didn't get notifications for this thread, thanks everyone for the comments.

I got a contractor name via pm that i will be getting a quote with tomorrow.

Any other suggestions are appreciated with contractor names. We are trying to get this done asap.
Zamboni wrote: Separate entrance alone is about 15k, might want to research that and hire a contractor who specializes in that area.

OP, if your house is 2500 sq ft the basement won't be 1250, there will be unfinished furnace/hot water room, possibly other unfinished storage?....house that size the finished basement is usually 900, 1000 sq ft max
you're right, its around 900. Ill work on getting a exact number tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1117 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
davka wrote: do you work in pickering? can you recommend someone who does? Please PM
Yes, info@tdextreme.ca facebook.com/tdextreme
Last edited by TTony on Feb 20th, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoNtRaCtOr
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3538 posts
124 upvotes
Halton
Shame you are too far for a quote. I would have been happy to come discuss the basement with you if we weren’t over 1.5hrs apart Thumbs Up Sign hope you find someone. We just did a basement with a separate walkout this past summer.
Enjoy Life
Sep 15, 2017
17 posts
4 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote: 100k is too much to spend on a basement.

Separate entrance cost me about $10k(not including permit) but it was done right.

Bathroom cost me $3k. Kitchen about $10k. Used sinks, countertops, cabinets.

We did all the framing, drywall and flooring. Saved so much money from that.

I think it cost me around $35k in total. Its nothing special but it has everything a tenant would need and its very comfortable.

My tenant have been there for almost 3 years. No complaint.
Hi KevinDurant1,
Can you recommend your separate entrance renovator?