• Dec 4th, 2019 7:33 pm
[OP]
May 13, 2016
160 posts
191 upvotes
GTA

Basement Reno Quote - reasonable?

Hello all.

Getting some quotes for a basement reno and I am trying to figure out if it is reasonable.

Total space 1000 sq ft. Partial finish (half) with paneling.

See below. The bathroom cost seems high. And it's a 1000 sq ft space, so not sure if his 850 sq ft includes the bathroom or not.

Also, what are some good follow up questions?

Job description

Total amount estmatd is for listd itms below $38,250.00
Based on 850 sq ft min is 45 sq ft
Remove al existng finishes and dispose
Container costs
Dispose al garbage due t constuctng new space
Framing as per drawing layout + or -
Provide electical as needed for electical code (20 led pot)
To instal rough in plumbing
> laundry disconnect and new
To insulat wit R21 >> regular fibre glass(Extrior wals )
To drywal al newly famed wals and ceilings
>excluding frnace room
To tape and sand smoot al new areas
To prime al new drywal surfaces
To supply and instal 5 doors and jambs ( 800 series stle )
To supply and instal base and shoe tim ( 4inch )
To supply and instal vinyl click engineered flooring w/pad
To finish paint complet basement
Paint concret floor in frnace room space

Bat >>>>

Minimum bat cost $12,500.00
To cut /repair concret for new drainages
To supply and instal 1 vanit single sink ( value of 500 )
>1-tilet ( value of 200 ) 2 faucets ( value of 450 )
Tub and shower combo or shower optonal (1 pc unit )
Toilet paper holder/and twel bars not included
Tile for bat floors ( 4$ per sqft )
1 Standard light scons ( 100 )

$2,300.00
moving hot watr tank for max use of space

Check HVAC and replace heatd ducts as needed to increase air flow

Additonal electical plugs t main floor 5 ttal $625.00

Subtotal $53,675.00
So easy, even I can do it.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
Bathroom cost is on the low end of reasonable In my experience
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
[OP]
May 13, 2016
160 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
Red_Army wrote: Bathroom cost is on the low end In my experience

What makes it so costly? My research is around 6k to 10k,
So easy, even I can do it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
User994596 wrote: What makes it so costly? My research is around 6k to 10k,
Builder grade material and finishes alone for a bathroom that size will be 5K minimum, tack on the required plumbing, permits/inspection , labour and you’re over 10k easy on the low end
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3645 posts
2595 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Red_Army wrote: Builder grade material and finishes alone for a bathroom that size will be 5K minimum, tack on the required plumbing, permits/inspection , labour and you’re over 10k easy on the low end
Yup. $10K for a bathroom is a cheapy reno.
I run into this all the time, where people think $2500-$3500 will give them a bathroom makeover.
Feb 4, 2014
60 posts
42 upvotes
Montréal
I should have become a builder... $10,000 for a bathroom wow!!! It will cost them $4,000 max in materials and labour. I know because I’ve done it a couple of times where I buy my own material and hire the labour myself. Rather pay $25/hour and hire the labour myself then pay $300 an hour to the contractor...
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3645 posts
2595 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
yasben wrote: I should have become a builder... $10,000 for a bathroom wow!!! It will cost them $4,000 max in materials and labour. I know because I’ve done it a couple of times where I buy my own material and hire the labour myself. Rather pay $25/hour and hire the labour myself then pay $300 an hour to the contractor...
Hey, if you can do your own bathroom with your sweat equity for $4K, all the power to you.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: Hey, if you can do your own bathroom with your sweat equity for $4K, all the power to you.
I’d hate to see the quality of work that a $25/hr labourer provides
Feb 4, 2014
60 posts
42 upvotes
Montréal
[/quote]

I’d hate to see the quality of work that a $25/hr labourer provides[/quote]

How much you think contractors pay their labour? I’m in QC so maybe it’s cheaper over here...
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8823 upvotes
Toronto
MrFrugal1 wrote: Hey, if you can do your own bathroom with your sweat equity for $4K, all the power to you.
This I agree with. Even using contractor pricing for material I was at 8-11k and done the work myself. With the exception of some tiling because f#$k 2x4 tiles.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
yasben wrote:

I’d hate to see the quality of work that a $25/hr labourer provides

How much you think contractors pay their labour? I’m in QC so maybe it’s cheaper over here...
Skilled labour don’t work by the hour for the most part, jobs will be priced based on square footage, number or fixtures, scope of work etc. If skilled labour trades did charge per hour then it wouldn’t be any less than $60, and that’s on the low end
Feb 4, 2014
60 posts
42 upvotes
Montréal
Red_Army wrote: Skilled labour don’t work by the hour for the most part, jobs will be priced based on square footage, number or fixtures, scope of work etc. If skilled labour trades did charge per hour then it wouldn’t be any less than $60, and that’s on the low end
Is that in Ontario? So basically you’re saying construction employees start at around $130,000 per year? Not bad....
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
yasben wrote: Is that in Ontario? So basically you’re saying construction employees start at around $130,000 per year? Not bad....
I’m definitely not saying that.
Before you factor in Wsib, gas, truck, insurance, truck maintenance, licensing, trade licensing, city contractors licensing, masters certificate licensing , liability insurance, benefits, advertising, bookkeeping, taxes etc. Etc. Etc. And after all that wages have to be paid. It’s not as if it’s going straight into your pocket.
And yes, we deserve it for our experience, time and knowledge mastering a skilled trade