Home & Garden

Basement renovation advice (soundproofing, lighting, energy efficiency, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 8:14 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
81 upvotes
oshawa

Basement renovation advice (soundproofing, lighting, energy efficiency, etc)

i got a unfinished basement and need to set the following.
1. setup 2 rooms and preferably sound proofing between them. both me and my wife are loud and want to use it as our own individual work spaces + heated floors for the basement office
2. what would be the best lighthing so we dont feel we are in the dark underground.
3. add dampers and hopefully motion sensors so the heating and lighting is not wasted when we are not there.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jul 28th, 2020 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited title for clarity
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
3 replies
Apr 14, 2006
984 posts
603 upvotes
St Johns
junkone wrote: i got a unfinished basement and need to set the following.
1. setup 2 rooms and preferably sound proofing between them. both me and my wife are loud and want to use it as our own individual work spaces.
2. what would be the best lighthing so we dont feel we are in the dark underground.
3. add dampers and hopefully motion sensors so the heating and lighting is not wasted when we are not there.
If you have a choice think twice about basement offices, I built a state of art one and I (cough cough) rather work in the kitchen or upstairs bedroom.
I have two nice windows, built in fireplace.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
81 upvotes
oshawa
i do work in the office space a lot. i have too many monitors that i cannot work in kitchen. and my wife does craftwork that she will not be using any other space.
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
What exactly are you asking? How much building two sound damped rooms in a dark basement would cost and to eliminated the dark cool basement, you want to install heated floors and motion sensors?

1. You didn't specify the size of these 2 rooms.
2. You didn't state how much of this, the actual build or purchase of materials you'll DYI.
3. You didn't give any information on the existing basement, outside of it being unfinished.

So, you'll pay about $75,000 to have all the permits and 2 rooms built. I would suspect that will give you about 2 offices of 250-300sqft of heated floor and brilliant lighting to make you feel you in da carribean. Do you need AC in these rooms? That's extra.

I'll feel bad for the rest of your 500sqft unfinished basement.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)