Home & Garden

Basement Renovation - approx cost and tips

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 9:39 am
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2013
835 posts
126 upvotes
BC

Basement Renovation - approx cost and tips

Hi All,

We're looking to get out basement done. We're extremely tight on budget but wanted to know how much it would cost to get our basement done if all we want is an open concept, no rooms, no kitchen or bathroom? Basement is 600 sq ft. Location is Hamilton.

Also, any tips from those that have been through this process? Would love to hear your suggestions.

If you guys have referrals, feel free to message so I can check out their work.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2989 posts
1239 upvotes
done properly, somewhere in the range of 10 to 15 thousand dollars is your bare bones minimum.... I am actually pricing out two basements for clients, one is going for a simple multipurpose room, a large laundry and a storage room, the other is going to be the same, plus a three piece bathroom, 16 to 19 for the first, 25 give or take a few grand for the seond
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1685 posts
775 upvotes
GTA
If budget is an issue, DIY is your best bet. Save the costs of hired labour and use it towards material costs. If you have no rooms, bathroom or kitchen, DIY route is quite simple.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1952 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
+1

DIY is the way to go if you are on a budget (expect to pay premium for wood right now)

Still working on our 1927 basement DIY) and we are already over $20k on 750sq/ft.
-washroom toilet/sink and stand up shower
-laundry room
-entertainment room
-mechanical room
We are estimating another $7-10k to finish her up ( this does not include furniture or storage cabinets or projector :) ) .

I’m sure a contractor price would be in the 2-3X this. This does not include our underpinning that was done over 5 years ago.

Cheers and good luck !

exrcoupe wrote: If budget is an issue, DIY is your best bet. Save the costs of hired labour and use it towards material costs. If you have no rooms, bathroom or kitchen, DIY route is quite simple.
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
163 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you have a moisture problem in the basement, aka having to run a humidifier constantly to control the moisture don't finish it. Take care of the moisture issue before finishing the basement.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2002
12480 posts
3665 upvotes
GTA
Figure out what you want, price out the materials, multiply that by 3 and you'll be in the ballpark of what it'll cost you to get someone in to do it.

As said before, if all you want is basic stuff, you can do so much of it yourself, just get the pros in for any electrical and mudding ( to make the finish look nice). There's tons of stuff on youtube etc and of course this forum can be helpful too,
_______________

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1270 posts
970 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: Hi All,

We're looking to get out basement done. We're extremely tight on budget but wanted to know how much it would cost to get our basement done if all we want is an open concept, no rooms, no kitchen or bathroom? Basement is 600 sq ft. Location is Hamilton.
Perhaps you should give us a ball park of what your definition of an extremely tight budget is, then we can advise you if you're looking at DIYing the whole thing or can hire out a few trades.

Also, is the house built in the last 30 or 40 years and designed to have a habitable basement space, or is it older?
Martyji wrote: If you have a moisture problem in the basement, aka having to run a humidifier constantly to control the moisture don't finish it. Take care of the moisture issue before finishing the basement.
Generally speaking if you're finishing your basement it should be designed so moisture is expected to some degree and isn't an issue.

Also, this kinda relates to my previous question, of what era the house is, is there vapor barrier in the slab, etc etc.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2013
835 posts
126 upvotes
BC
exrcoupe wrote: If budget is an issue, DIY is your best bet. Save the costs of hired labour and use it towards material costs. If you have no rooms, bathroom or kitchen, DIY route is quite simple.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at this stuff and not handy at all. I would be terrified to take on this task!!

I guess I should check out some YouTube and see if I can pull it off but I doubt it haha
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2013
835 posts
126 upvotes
BC
Martyji wrote: If you have a moisture problem in the basement, aka having to run a humidifier constantly to control the moisture don't finish it. Take care of the moisture issue before finishing the basement.
How would I find out? The house is 2 years old
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2013
835 posts
126 upvotes
BC
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: Perhaps you should give us a ball park of what your definition of an extremely tight budget is, then we can advise you if you're looking at DIYing the whole thing or can hire out a few trades.

Also, is the house built in the last 30 or 40 years and designed to have a habitable basement space, or is it older
House is 2 years old. We were hoping to get it done around $20K
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1685 posts
775 upvotes
GTA
Pursuit2013 wrote: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at this stuff and not handy at all. I would be terrified to take on this task!!

I guess I should check out some YouTube and see if I can pull it off but I doubt it haha
Watch this channel:

For what you're asking, you're basically insulating, buildings walls, lighting and installing flooring.

For your $20K budget it can be done, but I doubt you could pull that off now during Covid. I'd suggest you wait or attempt to DIY it. Even now with Covid, material costs are through the roof, so even a DIY would set you back more than if you did it before or waited until the Covid premium is in play.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 10, 2008
4906 posts
1511 upvotes
Basic, "to code" costs for 600sqft

Insulation & VB- $500
LVP flooring @ $3/sqft - $1,800
Studs - $1,000
Drywall & mud - $800
Paint - $200
Lighting - $200
Electrical - $750 with labour
Nails, screws, etc - $100
Baseboard and trim - $1200

Total - $6,550, assuming you have all the tools. Double it if you can't do it yourself. But I wouldn't pay more than $15k for a 600sqft basement room.
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
5348 posts
1649 upvotes
Pursuit2013 wrote: Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at this stuff and not handy at all. I would be terrified to take on this task!!

I guess I should check out some YouTube and see if I can pull it off but I doubt it haha
It's important to recognize what you feel comfortable tackling yourself and what you're willing to pay others to do. There are several RFDers here that have the best intentions of helping, but automatically suggest diy as the solution. Lol, they'll even walk you through it if you ask!

But like you, I wouldn't be comfortable taking on such a project. I think $20k for the size of the space and how you want it finished is a realistic budget. I think you'll probably be able to use mid-level finishes as well.

Bon chance.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Sr. Member
Feb 11, 2013
835 posts
126 upvotes
BC
Thanks, everyone for your advice, greatly appreciated!

I agree with the above poster that while it is possible to do it on my own, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it on, which is why I'm willing to pay a premium to get it done. At least now I know that my budget is realistic, I did get some quotes between $15K to $20K. The problem is, I just don't know which contractor to go with.

If you guys have any referrals, please pass them along so I can look at their work.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1170 posts
616 upvotes
GTA
tips? Figure out what you can do yourself and hire out the rest.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2866 posts
1242 upvotes
Woodbridge
Just to add more to the most valuable advise here. Everyone has different physical endurance let alone skill set.
I got motivated to upgrade baseboards in my house as it seemed pretty simple and straight forward job. Did not realize that continuously straining back will take such a toll on body.
Had to be bed ridden for almost two months before I was back on feet. Did I save any money overall ?

Toukolou wrote: It's important to recognize what you feel comfortable tackling yourself and what you're willing to pay others to do. There are several RFDers here that have the best intentions of helping, but automatically suggest diy as the solution. Lol, they'll even walk you through it if you ask!

But like you, I wouldn't be comfortable taking on such a project. I think $20k for the size of the space and how you want it finished is a realistic budget. I think you'll probably be able to use mid-level finishes as well.

Bon chance.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Furnace & Central AC Group Buy 2021
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
5348 posts
1649 upvotes
newlyborn wrote: Just to add more to the most valuable advise here. Everyone has different physical endurance let alone skill set.
I got motivated to upgrade baseboards in my house as it seemed pretty simple and straight forward job. Did not realize that continuously straining back will take such a toll on body.
Had to be bed ridden for almost two months before I was back on feet. Did I save any money overall ?
Lol, you how many times I've started something only to end up cursing to high heaven "why the *$#& did I ever start doing this!!!" and hour later.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Jr. Member
May 9, 2014
163 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ask yourself, did you buy a dehumidifier? LOL!!

You’re probably fine to finish on such a new home.
Pursuit2013 wrote: How would I find out? The house is 2 years old
Banned
Apr 7, 2019
94 posts
18 upvotes
It depends on the work involved. Main thing is hiring the right contractor to do the work. Make sure the contractor explains exactly how detailed the work they are doing. There are alot of bad contracters that cut corners to save money and make more in their pocket. For example the finishing of 2 contractors could be the same and look great but one last for 10 years no issue and one you start having issues within a year. Asking contractors questions you can find out who knows there stuff and who does not.

Referals are a great way if you can actually go and view the work done to look close up. Anyway good luck with it. Any more detailed question feel free to ask.

Top