Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 17, 2007
743 posts
15 upvotes
Oshawa

Basement Vent Requirement

We are having our basement finished and I just noticed there is not hvac vent in the bedroom!! Is this a code requirement or not?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10082 posts
5336 upvotes
Paris
espanolguy wrote: We are having our basement finished and I just noticed there is not hvac vent in the bedroom!! Is this a code requirement or not?
Any room with a window, basement bedrooms must have windows, so yes.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11350 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
add an exhaust & return vent in the bed room for best airflow. Also make sure the rest of your basement has proper vents while you are at it.
0_o
<_<
>_>
[OP]
Apr 17, 2007
743 posts
15 upvotes
Oshawa
Got it, just to confirm, it is a code requirement? I can already anticipate resistance from my contractor...
May 12, 2003
371 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
I believe so.
espanolguy wrote: Got it, just to confirm, it is a code requirement? I can already anticipate resistance from my contractor...
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10082 posts
5336 upvotes
Paris
espanolguy wrote: Got it, just to confirm, it is a code requirement? I can already anticipate resistance from my contractor...
Window is code if it’s to be used as a bedroom, register is code for every room with a window. If your contractor won’t build to code fire him ASAP so we don’t get a “hired a contractor who didn’t build to code... now what” post in a few months.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3289 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Code aside, you want proper HVAC in all your rooms. Air circulation is particularly important in a basement.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4265 posts
1509 upvotes
WFH
You're paying for this so you don't need code as justification. If your contractor pushes back hold firm and put him on notice.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5183 posts
2594 upvotes
this is a reason why you get a permit, and by adding a bedroom in a basement you are required to get one
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3702 posts
2657 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Did you point the lack of venting to the contractor? He/she may not even be aware of the issue.
If the contractor knows about it and is trying to cover up a screw up by telling you it's unnecessary, that's a different story.