• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 4:35 pm
[OP]
Nov 4, 2019
46 posts
13 upvotes

Basement Walk-Up Stairs

Hi Guys,

Deciding if we should add walk-up stairs from the basement from the builder? They’re charging around 17k, we don’t plan on renting out the basement anytime soon but how much value would this add to my house. I have also been reading forums that walk-up stairs are prone to flooding and water damage? So all in in should I spend my upgrade money on finishes or sacrifice them a little and get the stairs done?

*It’s also a 90ft lot so I feel they would take up a chunk of the yard.
Images
  • A1F051F1-9450-46EA-B296-59EF37B7503C.png
11 replies
Jun 1, 2019
147 posts
144 upvotes
There are a lot of factors you're leaving out.
i) is your house in an area that is high demand for rentals in the foreseeable future (looking ahead to resale value)?
ii) is $17k a big % of your purchase price (i.e. are you in downtown Moncton, or downtown Vancouver?)
iii) does your basement have the square footage and layout to potentially be finished/rentable (looking ahead to resale value)?
iv) are you in a wet/floodprone area, or is there good water runoff hydrologic factor around you - are you on top of a hill, or the bottom of a valley?
Full Service Realtor
Niagara / Hamilton-Burlington
[OP]
Nov 4, 2019
46 posts
13 upvotes
i) is your house in an area that is high demand for rentals in the foreseeable future (looking ahead to resale value)? Brand new area with lots of potential.

ii) is $17k a big % of your purchase price (i.e. are you in downtown Moncton, or downtown Vancouver?) In the l GTA so not a big portion of purchase price.

iii) does your basement have the square footage and layout to potentially be finished/rentable (looking ahead to resale value)? 1100 sqft basement.

iv) are you in a wet/floodprone area, or is there good water runoff hydrologic factor around you - are you on top of a hill, or the bottom of a valley?
The street is on a bit of slope, other than that the neighbor is somewhat flat.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10561 posts
448 upvotes
Mississauga
I would suggest doing it if:

1. You will at some point likely be selling the house.
2. You have a desire to rent out the basement or otherwise have another entrance to it.

17k isn't a huge ask, and it could allow you to rent out the basement separately.

I suspect this is in Brampton - correct?
4chan melts your brain.
Sep 24, 2006
807 posts
111 upvotes
I've often wondered about this. Does the walk up basement affect the foundation at all since part of it is exposed?
[OP]
Nov 4, 2019
46 posts
13 upvotes
Nope in Pickering yea not really about renting out the basement but just looking if it would add more value if we decide to sell. And what the negative impacts are like flooding, leaks etc.
Jun 1, 2019
147 posts
144 upvotes
Street on a bit of a slope: this doesn't answer the question. Is there good drainage away from your house? Are you at the top, middle, or bottom of the slope? There's a dramatic difference being at the top of a hill, or bottom of a hill, in terms of basement features.
Full Service Realtor
Niagara / Hamilton-Burlington
[OP]
Nov 4, 2019
46 posts
13 upvotes
The lot is pretty flat, I’m not too sure. The house isn’t built yet.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1041 posts
1059 upvotes
We've had no problems. You have to keep the drain clear of any debris that builds up and we also have a sump pump.
Our walk out is perpendicular to the house with sliding doors that provides great light. We have a deck attached to walkout so it blends in well.
Dec 5, 2016
233 posts
35 upvotes
If you go through with it, be very careful of the walkout location vs where the upper backyard door will be.
There are cases where the builder put the walkout right below the backyard door leaving the owner with a more difficult (and IMO uglier) deck option.

If I were to get it I'd put the stairs parallel to the house to save on backyard space.
Mar 10, 2004
478 posts
151 upvotes
I would do it. But I would want to make sure the location of the entrance is ideal. I don t like the one in the pic because building a deck in future not easy.
Rather I would prefer the entrance on the side of the house. It s unused space there typically.
Deal Guru
Sep 14, 2003
10561 posts
448 upvotes
Mississauga
Chocobrownie wrote: Nope in Pickering yea not really about renting out the basement but just looking if it would add more value if we decide to sell. And what the negative impacts are like flooding, leaks etc.
Obviously, cutting a hole in your foundation for the door does expose you to increased chances for flood damage, leaks, temperature loss, but also it provides a really great place to break into your house, because it's recessed and nobody can see it.

You'll have to determine if the area has an appetite for basement apartments. The house looks quite nice and probably close to 3000 sf - the chances that a person would move in there and want to rent out the basement to make ends meet seems unlikely.
4chan melts your brain.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)