• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2023 5:31 pm
[OP]
Apr 21, 2012
366 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto

basement weeping tile cost?

Hi, my basement is flooding due to a leaky backwall in my cold room, I have been quoted $9800 + tax (Less up to 1700 city rebate for the sump pump) to have an internal weeping tile/sump pump and membrane installed, the length is 15 foot, the co will do the work within 2 days, does this seem reasonable, its tricky getting quotes at this time of year!

thanks
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13230 posts
4839 upvotes
Ontario
Water proof that back wall from outside. Stop the water from coming into the home not after it has entered and could be doing other damage.

How is the ground grade from that back wall? Is it slopped away from the home? If not add dirt to do so.
What about the downspouts, where are they putting the water? If its near the home you need to put extensions on them so water is moved a few meters away from the house.

Simple things like that could resolve your issue, but if not its always best to water proof from the outside and not inside.
bugeyedbrit wrote: Hi, my basement is flooding due to a leaky backwall in my cold room, I have been quoted $9800 + tax (Less up to 1700 city rebate for the sump pump) to have an internal weeping tile/sump pump and membrane installed, the length is 15 foot, the co will do the work within 2 days, does this seem reasonable, its tricky getting quotes at this time of year!

thanks
[OP]
Apr 21, 2012
366 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, thanks for the reply , the downspouts are away from the house (out to the middle of the garden) , the ground is slopped away from the house, the co will also break the concrete brick steps outside the door and membrane that, as thats where the water is breaking out, I would agree with doing the outside, but that is not possible without taking off the rear deck and basement entrance, its a balance I'm afraid!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 27, 2006
5074 posts
1951 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
FYI:
I expect more details released January 1, 2023.
https://www.enbridgegas.com/residential ... ebate-plus
https://www.enbridgegas.com/residential ... e-plus/faq

Weatherproofing measures are additional retrofits that could help protect both your home and your family from environmental damages. As of January 2023, we will be adding the same measures the federal government currently offers;

Solar batteries connected to photovoltaic systems (to provide standby power for home).
Roofing membrane—self-adhering roofing underlayment applied to entire roof.
Foundation waterproofing – waterproof the exterior side of the below-grade basement wall with rubberized or polymer membranes.
Moisture proofing of 100 percent of crawlspace floor, walls and headers.
Note: In order to qualify for the rebate these measures will need to be combined with additional Home Efficiency Rebate Plus measures.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2017
1147 posts
1155 upvotes
It could still be worth getting a quote for exterior waterproofing even factoring in the deck just to see where it would land. IMO there really is only one way to do this and it’s from the outside wherever possible. Doing it inside is just water management, which inevitably is going to have some issue down the line. if you’re planning to stay in your home long term it may be worth the added expense to go outside.

We are similar, back deck that prevents a dig outside. Fortunately our water problem isn’t a flood like yours, just bits of efflorescence on floors and walls so ours can wait until the deck needs to be redone.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3375 posts
953 upvotes
Ancaster
I'd get a quote from RCC Waterproofing for the external and internal waterproofing systems before committing to the $9800 for 15 feet of wall.
Nov 24, 2019
140 posts
92 upvotes
nielboy wrote: I'd get a quote from RCC Waterproofing for the external and internal waterproofing systems before committing to the $9800 for 15 feet of wall.
My thoughts exactly. Had RCC come through for internal waterproofing quote. I never ended up getting job done (just fixed drainage outside house), it ended up being like 1500$ plus 100/linear foot.
Feb 4, 2018
489 posts
1042 upvotes
Toronto
bugeyedbrit wrote: Hi, my basement is flooding due to a leaky backwall in my cold room, I have been quoted $9800 + tax (Less up to 1700 city rebate for the sump pump) to have an internal weeping tile/sump pump and membrane installed, the length is 15 foot, the co will do the work within 2 days, does this seem reasonable, its tricky getting quotes at this time of year!

thanks
Would highly recommend getting a quote from Aquatech Waterproofing for interior/exterior waterproofing repairs. We used them in 2018, they excavated, by hand, the perimeter of 3 sides of our home--very pleased with their workmanship and price. Stellar company.

https://aquatechwaterproofing.ca/
The ocean is calling.........and I must go.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
8087 posts
6680 upvotes
Ottawa
OP:

So there's no cracking, this is just water coming in through the foundation?

When you say "flooding", how much water?