Home & Garden

Basements bedroom/bathroom with egress window.

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2020 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes

Basements bedroom/bathroom with egress window.

I have an egress window in my basement, however all the rough ins line up and are near the edge of the window as per the image. A few feet to the right and 3 feet from the wall is where my furnace is located and my hrv is about 8 ft from the right edge of the window along the wall.

Based on the layout of rough in, it seems to me that the full bathrooms goes to the left of the window. To the left is also plenty of space I have for a bedroom. Since the furnace and hrv are to the right of the window, that space will be the mechanical room.

I want the bedroom to have an egress window. Can I make sort of an "open concept" bathroom where I would put the toilet and possibly the shower stall in its own closed off room, where that stove is currentltnsitting, while leaving the sink/counter outside under/next to the window? This allows the bathroom privacy, and at the same time having open access from the bedroom to where the window is?

Would this allow for the bedroom to be considered as having an egress window in it?
And any suggestions on how else to approach the bathroom/bedroom layout with rough ins and window not being re located?
Images
  • IMG_20200424_143636.jpg
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6609 posts
2190 upvotes
GTA
iamkalive wrote: I have an egress window in my basement....

2-Would this allow for the bedroom to be considered as having an egress window in it?
An egress window must be 44" from the floor max-you don't have an egress window unless you build stairs to it. Window opening area needs to be 24" high also, doesn't look like that window is. 2-The egress window doesn't have to be in a bedroom.

I couldn't follow the open concept bathroom stuff.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
You can do whatever you want. My dad has a butt ugly outdoor bar but its his choice. Now if you are asking about general design i would say it s a little out of norm. I see no real normal designs based on layout. Rather you have plumber bust up the concrete and put the plumbing where u want it. So that window can be used in a bedroom. It will definitely make the bedroom more inviting. If you are talking about turning the basement into a rental unit that s completely different and you should contact your local city office as there will be other requirements.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
He wants to put the bathroom sink in the bedroom. And the toilet and shower in another room. I ve seen this at hotels but not norm.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: The egress window doesn't have to be in a bedroom.
True but bedrooms without windows are dungeons.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9964 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
tempperm wrote: True but bedrooms without windows are dungeons.
A room without a window is not a bedroom per code.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
Jerico wrote: A room without a window is not a bedroom per code.
I don t think so. Maybe in your city?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6609 posts
2190 upvotes
GTA
tempperm wrote: I don t think so. Maybe in your city?
OBC calls for minimum window size in bedrooms equal to 5% of rooms sq footage.....your city can go higher but not lower so window is required.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes
Zamboni wrote: An egress window must be 44" from the floor max-you don't have an egress window unless you build stairs to it. Window opening area needs to be 24" high also, doesn't look like that window is. 2-The egress window doesn't have to be in a bedroom.

Based on the document in the link and the measurements my window meets egress code for where I live.
Winnipeg lower development code
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes
tempperm wrote: He wants to put the bathroom sink in the bedroom. And the toilet and shower in another room. I ve seen this at hotels but not norm.
Yes, primarily to ensure the bedroom meets the code requirements. I have no intention to rent, but down the road it's a good selling feature.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes
tempperm wrote: You can do whatever you want. My dad has a butt ugly outdoor bar but its his choice. Now if you are asking about general design i would say it s a little out of norm. I see no real normal designs based on layout. Rather you have plumber bust up the concrete and put the plumbing where u want it. So that window can be used in a bedroom. It will definitely make the bedroom more inviting. If you are talking about turning the basement into a rental unit that s completely different and you should contact your local city office as there will be other requirements.
No intention to rent, and design is not hugely important, and yes the room would be more inviting with a window where most of the room is. But not looking to add a few thousand dollars to the job by moving the rough ins over it. Just looking to ensure basic code requirements are met.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I bet it’s a single slider and thus does not comply.
Not .
Opens upward and inside basement.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6609 posts
2190 upvotes
GTA
iamkalive wrote: I have an egress window in my basement, however all the rough ins line up and are near the edge of the window as per the image.

I want the bedroom to have an egress window..... while leaving the sink/counter outside under/next to the window? This allows the bathroom privacy, and at the same time having open access from the bedroom to where the window is?
I was quoting OBC, should have asked where you lived. Egress window smaller than 5 sq ft and less than 24 inches high is dumb, its not only 100 pound kids scampering out to consider.....a fireman with a tank on his back isn't fitting through dimensions Winnipeg allows.
Have a look at code to see if a counter is allowed in Manitoba in front of egress window. Also check egress regs for secondary suites as opposed to adding a basement bedroom for single family home if you intend to rent out or sell the home as renter legal at some point. Might be stricter rules for secondary suites.
I know Manitoba had grants a few years back to fund building secondary suites-is that still in place?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9964 posts
5250 upvotes
Paris
Zamboni wrote: I was quoting OBC, should have asked where you lived. Egress window smaller than 5 sq ft and less than 24 inches high is dumb, its not only 100 pound kids scampering out to consider.....a fireman with a tank on his back isn't fitting through dimensions Winnipeg allows.
Have a look at code to see if a counter is allowed in Manitoba in front of egress window. Also check egress regs for secondary suites as opposed to adding a basement bedroom for single family home if you intend to rent out or sell the home as renter legal at some point. Might be stricter rules for secondary suites.
I know Manitoba had grants a few years back to fund building secondary suites-is that still in place?
Egress is only 15” min in any dimension in Ontario as well, so long as total is the right square feet. 15” isn’t much at all.
Dec 25, 2006
581 posts
433 upvotes
Winnipeg
iamkalive wrote: And any suggestions on how else to approach the bathroom/bedroom layout with rough ins and window not being re located?
why not just install a new window where you want it?

I just had one installed in my basement in Winnipeg. Price was fair and he's taking care of permits, etc...
Feel free to message me if you'd like his name or if you have any questions.
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
May 13, 2007
169 posts
76 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
Zamboni wrote: An egress window must be 44" from the floor max-you don't have an egress window unless you build stairs to it. Window opening area needs to be 24" high also, doesn't look like that window is. 2-The egress window doesn't have to be in a bedroom.
Could you please provide the OBC regulation(s) that confirm these dimensional requirements.

Looking at OBC, I'm seeing the following:
9.9.10. Egress from Bedrooms
9.9.10.1. Egress Windows or Doors for Bedrooms
(1) Except where a door on the same floor level as the bedroom provides direct access to the exterior, every floor level containing a bedroom in a suite shall be provided with at least one outside
window that,
(a) is openable from the inside without the use of tools,
(b) provides an individual, unobstructed open portion having a minimum area of 0.35 m² (3.8 sq. ft) with no dimension less than 380 mm (15"), and
(c) maintains the required opening described in Clause (b) without the need for additional support.
(2) Except for basement areas, the window required in Sentence (1) shall have a maximum sill height of 1,000 mm (39.4") above the floor.
(3) When sliding windows are used, the minimum dimension described in Sentence (1) shall apply to the openable portion of the window.
NOTE: I've added the imperial measurements to the above.
Last edited by tooluser on Apr 26th, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
[OP]
Oct 16, 2007
248 posts
89 upvotes
warpdwhim wrote:
why not just install a new window where you want it?

I just had one installed in my basement in Winnipeg. Price was fair and he's taking care of permits, etc...
Feel free to message me if you'd like his name or if you have any questions.
Primarily not looking to spends more money then required to finish the basement and still meet code requirements.
Nov 2, 2018
184 posts
71 upvotes

Not sure where you're getting that 24" from, but OBC stipulates an egress windows as having a minimum (clear) opening of 15" in each direction, AND a min. sq. ft. opening of 3.8sq.ft.

There is also a height requirement, without needing stairs, but I don't have that dimension in mind.

That window you have there is surely not a legal egress window at the size it is.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
WindowGuyLarry wrote: Not sure where you're getting that 24" from, but OBC stipulates an egress windows as having a minimum (clear) opening of 15" in each direction, AND a min. sq. ft. opening of 3.8sq.ft.

There is also a height requirement, without needing stairs, but I don't have that dimension in mind.

That window you have there is surely not a legal egress window at the size it is.
Specific to OBC where does it say a bedroom needs to have an egress window?