Computers & Electronics

Basics on Bluetooth headsets (one headset, multiple devices?)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2020 10:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4369 posts
913 upvotes
Toronto

Basics on Bluetooth headsets (one headset, multiple devices?)

I have never actually had Bluetooth earphones or headsets -- I have good wired ones and have been leery of headphones that require batteries.

I am now in a situation where I find myself switching my wired headphones between four different devices during the course of the day -- two Windows computers, and two Android devices. It'd be convenient to do this wirelessly.

Would a Bluetooth headset let me quickly switch between different "source" devices? (e.g. -- listening to music on a computer, a call comes in on a phone, I can easily switch the headset to take the call and then switch back?)
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
9962 posts
11352 upvotes
Toronto
JHW wrote: I have never actually had Bluetooth earphones or headsets -- I have good wired ones and have been leery of headphones that require batteries.

I am now in a situation where I find myself switching my wired headphones between four different devices during the course of the day -- two Windows computers, and two Android devices. It'd be convenient to do this wirelessly.

Would a Bluetooth headset let me quickly switch between different "source" devices? (e.g. -- listening to music on a computer, a call comes in on a phone, I can easily switch the headset to take the call and then switch back?)
You need a Bluetooth headset that has a feature called "Multipoint"
afaik, it only works with two devices

https://www.howtogeek.com/297281/how-to ... at-a-time/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5958 posts
760 upvotes
Toronto
JHW wrote: I have never actually had Bluetooth earphones or headsets -- I have good wired ones and have been leery of headphones that require batteries.

Let me save you lot of time. I did fair bit of research for a client. "Jabra" are the only one that truly implement this feature. Virtually no one implements, if they do, they don't enable. if they enable - it doesn't work all the time. EXCEPT JABRA!
Anything 1-2 yr and newer has it on their models.
They had 65t go for $40 in hot deals recently. 75t is differently better but not +$100 better.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20399 posts
5849 upvotes
GTA
I have a Jabra 75t, it utilizes bluetooth on Windows very differently then on mobile.

To get the full feature set of their bluetooth headset, you may need the Jabra USB Link bluetooth module....which is $70 I believe.

The 65t for under $50 you will need a time machine for that.

Edit: Forgot to mention that bluetooth from multiple smartphones work well as long as you can download the Jabra Sound app. Without it, like my work phone, it won't work as well, it can go from device to device audio, as long as neither is currently playing audio. For example, if you're listening to music on phone A, it won't play phone B's music unless you pause phone A's music first.