• May 7th, 2015 8:58 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 5, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON

Basketball net pole

Hi all, I'm installing an inground basketball net at my house and needed some advice. I live in a northern climate so I want to have a 4 foot deep hole in order to be below the frost line. Problem is that the pole is only long enough to be set 16 inches deep into the ground (in order to have the required height above ground).

My plan was to dig a 4 foot hole and make a platform of some kind (maybe out of bricks) in the hole which the post can rest on while the hole is filled with concrete and cures. The platform would allow the pole to sit at the required depth and the concrete would dry around it forming a deep foundation.

Any other advice on this type of installation?

Thanks!
3 replies
Sep 12, 2008
580 posts
201 upvotes
Hamilton, on
Assuming the backboard will be put on after? Just clamp two boards horizontally 2 feet from the bottom (or however deep you want the pole into the concrete). The boards will span past the width of the hole. You could even drive a deck screw through the wood and into the post. Just put a dab of sealer on after its removed.

You woulld want to add additional bracing higher up and stake it into the ground.. similar to the way the do fence posts.

http://www.quikrete.com/AtHome/images/s ... -intro.jpg
Apr 1, 2011
228 posts
14 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Is the hoop ment to be in ground? But any the best solution I've seen for installing a basketball hoop is an anchor system. Google in ground basketball installation a YouTube vid should come up watch it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7264 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
You should put a sono tube in the hole, that is smooth and the ground can't catch any rough concrete to "heave it". The backboard/net goes on the pole after the cement cures-less weight and no chance a neighbourhood kid comes over with his own ball....or hangs off the rim 2 hours after your pour.
Use a 4' level, you only have 1 chance to get this straight. Put 2 clamps on the pipe about 4' off the ground, use 2x4's wedged btw ground and the clamps to get the pole straight.

Be sure the location is ok with municipal bylaw, if its on bottom of driveway be sure its to code....neighbours will hate it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)