• Jul 25th, 2020 1:01 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
323 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On

bathroom ceiling

Hi
I removed the drywalls in the bathroom in my basement and also the drywall in the ceiling of that bathroom. I do not want drywalls. Now I see in the ceiling a wood (please see attached pictures). What is this used for? Can I remove it. I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way. I appreciate any help in advance. Thank you so much.
Images
  • IMG-20200725-00697.jpg
  • IMG-20200725-00699.jpg
  • IMG-20200725-00696.jpg
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5039 posts
1716 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: I want the bathroom "unfinished" and I do not mind to see all the concrete and structural woods as I am planning to paint them and keep it that way
Let's hug it out
May 18, 2008
767 posts
111 upvotes
Toronto
What is going on here? Flushed Face
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4245 upvotes
Vaughan
Is your bathroom under front porch? The only place that may look like that is basement cold room.
Jan 7, 2013
828 posts
499 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Please put in a fiberglass shower surround or something....
[OP]
May 4, 2020
323 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On
teoconca wrote: Is your bathroom under front porch? The only place that may look like that is basement cold room.
Thanks for your reply. Yes exactly, it is under the front porch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4245 upvotes
Vaughan
lwlwlwlw wrote: Thanks for your reply. Yes exactly, it is under the front porch.
That was there to hold when cement was pouring and forming. It supposed to be remove to avoid molds.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13092 posts
4700 upvotes
Ontario
you may need to insulate it because it will get cold in the winter and your pipes will freeze and burst.
[OP]
May 4, 2020
323 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On
teoconca wrote: That was there to hold when cement was pouring and forming. It supposed to be remove to avoid molds.
It is in very bad condition. I did not know why is there until you just said that. You are the best. Thank you so much :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9963 posts
4245 upvotes
Vaughan
lwlwlwlw wrote: It is in very bad condition. I did not know why is there until you just said that. You are the best. Thank you so much :)
By the way, the posts should be removed. They are rotting.
[OP]
May 4, 2020
323 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On
teoconca wrote: By the way, the posts should be removed. They are rotting.
These were for the dry walls. Do you still think I should remove them?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1313 posts
821 upvotes
GTA
You may want to cover up that electrical stuff before using that cold cellar as a bathroom
[OP]
May 4, 2020
323 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto, On
smitty9999 wrote: You may want to cover up that electrical stuff before using that cold cellar as a bathroom
Would appreciate any idea on how to do that. I was planing to leave them as is but just to tied them up in a nice way but they would be visible. I saw one cable was melted a bit where it contacted the wood of the drywall. So that is why I do not like the drywalls. They hide problems.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1932 posts
1183 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Would appreciate any idea on how to do that. I was planing to leave them as is but just to tied them up in a nice way but they would be visible. I saw one cable was melted a bit where it contacted the wood of the drywall. So that is why I do not like the drywalls. They hide problems.
Between the pictures and your responses, I would suggest hiring a professional.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
Will this bathroom be used primarily by you or some family members you're not too fond off?
The pipes are bound to freeze, the exposed wiring is just asking for trouble, and do you have a exhaust fan?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)