• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2022 3:33 pm
Jan 20, 2020
50 posts
34 upvotes
Surrey

Bathroom door push button type lock Not working

Hi guys,

I have push button type lock in my bathroom. I am having random problem with the lock i.e. if it is lock from inside and some one twist level from outside with little more pressure, it opens the lock. It kind of creates embarrassing situation for one who is using washroom. I guess, previous owner was having few toddlers and they have done something on the lock to get it open easily from outside. I tried to check online but don't see any videos out there with this issue.

Before I go to change the lock, I wanted to check here and any one has gone through the same issue and have any solution/tips for this.

Thanks in Advance
Images
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 4.47.13 PM.jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-05-25 at 4.47.12 PM.jpeg
3 replies
Aug 30, 2009
263 posts
85 upvotes
I just had this happen. Door lock is only 9 months old and I think maybe the lock was already defective. When I removed the handles a small metal tab fell out. Likely the tab that stops the outside lever from turning when the lock button is pressed. I doubt it should be broken off so easily just by pressing on the outside lever.

In my case it is not repairable, I mean I'm not going to weld that metal piece back on. But it is a schlage and it is under warranty so I am going to file a claim.

Take your handles out carefully and see if any piece falls out perhaps?
Jan 20, 2020
50 posts
34 upvotes
Surrey
I will try and update this post.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
5003 upvotes
Toronto
Educate the people in your house. If a bathroom door is closed, knock.