Home & Garden

Bathroom layout

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2020 2:02 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2010
74 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Bathroom layout

We currently looking to do a bathroom reno. We have two bedrooms that shares a bathroom but the entry opens to the hall. We were thinking changing layout making the bathroom opens to each of the bedroom. And closed the exterior entryway, remove tub and change to a 3x3 shower. Bathroom is only 6x8 so tiny. I am not sure if we are making a mistake with this layout?
Images
  • 2FA53147-DCF0-46A8-B8FF-7298540B8959.jpeg
  • 9A2202AB-4930-44E9-90D6-A0C935A1CCF0.jpeg
10 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
Pocket doors which I think you have in your diagram if you want to have it opened to both bedrooms. And if it was my bathroom, I'd remove the double vanity sink as you don't have the space for it with this little room. More to the fact that you are basically walking into a sink.

I think your layout overall is just bad but that's my opinion.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1501 posts
916 upvotes
ottawa
Can a pocket door even work behind a toilet given the plumbing requirements?

I agree with Koffey though I would remove the double vanity and if you absolutely want two pocket doors then I would try and make the shower larger since a 3x3 shower will feel incredibly cramped. I'd rather one single sink and a larger shower where the second sink is. Is there another tub on that level? For resale purposes the tub is nice for families, if you don't care about resale of course do whichever works best for your family.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2010
74 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Good point about pocket door behind the toilet plumbing . Perhaps leaving it to exterior entry is the only way to make good use for the small space Thank you .
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
barqers wrote: Can a pocket door even work behind a toilet given the plumbing requirements?

I agree with Koffey though I would remove the double vanity and if you absolutely want two pocket doors then I would try and make the shower larger since a 3x3 shower will feel incredibly cramped. I'd rather one single sink and a larger shower where the second sink is. Is there another tub on that level? For resale purposes the tub is nice for families, if you don't care about resale of course do whichever works best for your family.
It can, based on the pic the 6ft wall can hold a 24", a 28" or maybe a 30" door.

Just really hard to tell.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Sr. Member
Mar 10, 2004
819 posts
305 upvotes
Summer2003 wrote: We currently looking to do a bathroom reno. We have two bedrooms that shares a bathroom but the entry opens to the hall.
Are you saying that only these 2 bedrooms have access to the bathroom? And you can only enter the bathroom through these 2 bedrooms? If not, then i would definitely not do what you are suggesting.
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 4, 2010
74 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Yes I was thinking changing the layout so it become a semi en-suite . And beside the master bathroom and this one . The only other bathroom would be the powder room on the main floor.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
7407 posts
3147 upvotes
Summer2003 wrote: Yes I was thinking changing the layout so it become a semi en-suite . And beside the master bathroom and this one . The only other bathroom would be the powder room on the main floor.
I would leave the door as is, get rid of the tub and put in a nice, big, tiled shower, as well as the double vanity. Double vanity is a necessity to avoid conflict if 2 people need to get ready at the same time.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Sr. Member
Feb 26, 2019
602 posts
655 upvotes
Ottawa
Keep the bath tub. If you ever decide to sell, any buyer with young kids will want a bath tub in the “kids bathroom”.

Also, pocket doors aren’t typically recommended for a full bathroom. They are fine with powder rooms. A long shower can cause moisture to accumulate on the door, and when that door is slid open (e.g. into the wall) it moves that moisture into the wall cavity, where it can be slow to dry. If you have a couple teenagers taking long showers in there everyday, it can potentially create trouble with mold in the wall cavity.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22886 posts
21731 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
dottawat wrote: Keep the bath tub. If you ever decide to sell, any buyer with young kids will want a bath tub in the “kids bathroom”.

Also, pocket doors aren’t typically recommended for a full bathroom. They are fine with powder rooms. A long shower can cause moisture to accumulate on the door, and when that door is slid open (e.g. into the wall) it moves that moisture into the wall cavity, where it can be slow to dry. If you have a couple teenagers taking long showers in there everyday, it can potentially create trouble with mold in the wall cavity.
This

If this is the only full bath in the entire house, you need the bathtub (unfortunately) as a selling feature. And more so, if it’s the bathroom that is closest to the “kids rooms”

Build an extra bath in your basement ... and put a shower there.

As to the door issue.

Besides the problems already mentioned by others with pocket doors is the lack of perceived privacy. Generally speaking folks don’t like to buy houses with Jack & Jill Bathrooms that adults will be using. Kids ok, adults not so much. Where you see situations with one main shared family bathroom (no en-suite) then typically there’s a lockable door between the bath & master bedroom (lock on the bedroom side ). This keeps kids out of your MB, and gives you access to the shared bath should they lock themselves inside (their door, lockable from inside for adult bathroom privacy)

If you do decide to go ahead with this Reno, the double vanity sinks are a MUST HAVE.

And if you can’t swing regular bathroom doors ... you might want to consider barn doors if there is enough wall space on the bedroom sides.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 4, 2009
7407 posts
3147 upvotes
dottawat wrote: Keep the bath tub. If you ever decide to sell, any buyer with young kids will want a bath tub in the “kids bathroom”.
If the MB has a tub, then I don't think tub proximity matters. While I agree having access to a tub might be important to some, I would suggest the kids will be showering for much longer in their lives than bathing. Our kids are 10, 8 and 7, and they stopped bathing much about 2 years ago, opting to shower instead.

Tub/shower combos suck, imo.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky

Top