• Apr 13th, 2020 10:38 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 7, 2012
175 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto

Bathroom modification ideas

We recently purchased a new build and are currently thinking of ways to reconfigure the master bedroom ensuite. We would like to have a bigger shower along with it being curbless. Anyone have any suggestions on how we can reconfigure the washroom as we can essentially move anything anywhere.

THanks
IMG_0229.PNG
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3938 posts
3397 upvotes
You could get rid of the toilet in the little closet. Move the toilet down to where the shower is now across from the tub. Move the sink and counter to where the toilet is now so when you walk in you walk in facing the sinks and the toilet would be at the end. Then use the area where the sinks are now for a larger shower. Just make sure with the free standing tub that you tile some of the wall behind it as it can be a real problem trying to paint behind them if not tiled.

For the shower, I would use the entire wall area for the shower. Make it curbless with a fixed glass panel at whatever end you choose for the shower head and leave the rest open without a door. That will keep most of the water within the shower and not all over the washroom and allow you room to move to the end of the shower to dry off.
Oct 7, 2007
610 posts
155 upvotes
Markham
There are some questions which need to be answered before recommending a layout.

1. Do you want/need a tub?
2. Do you want a single or dual sink vanity?
3. Do you have dimensions of the room?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3629 posts
2260 upvotes
mrmccowcow wrote: There are some questions which need to be answered before recommending a layout.

1. Do you want/need a tub?
2. Do you want a single or dual sink vanity?
3. Do you have dimensions of the room?
If he has it in the layout he wants tub, shower, and dual vanity.
Jun 26, 2019
967 posts
714 upvotes
I think one of your few options to get more space or a better layout for the shower/tub, is to get rid of the toilet in the closet. That is probably taking up most of your space.

Also, whats the dead spot in the top right? Is there anything running in there, or is it just empty space that isnt used?
Jan 21, 2011
469 posts
192 upvotes
GTA
Just turn the toilet facing the door and forget the toilet closet. This will probably be the cheapest and easiest option.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
irie17 wrote: We recently purchased a new build and are currently thinking of ways to reconfigure the master bedroom ensuite. We would like to have a bigger shower along with it being curbless. Anyone have any suggestions on how we can reconfigure the washroom as we can essentially move anything anywhere.

THanks IMG_0229.PNG
So as part of your new build you can reconfigure? Or are you planning to tear down and then reconfigure? Cuz if you have to tear down - don t. But i m cheap.
Mar 10, 2004
692 posts
231 upvotes
lamin wrote: Just turn the toilet facing the door and forget the toilet closet. This will probably be the cheapest and easiest option.
Ugh! Toilets facing doors! Design no-no. And it works because 2 people can use the bathroom in theory. Bigger shower means the tub will have to go but wouldn t this impact resale value?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15964 posts
13211 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally, I like the layout as is for the most part.

The just as you walk in vanity ... is in a good spot.
It’s on the way out of the room
And handy as the first spot in for any “last minute” needs
Hand washing, teeth brushing, fix make up etc

My issue like others here is with the placement of the toilet & shower

Love me a big hotel sized walk in shower (minimum footprint = size of a standard bathtub space)

So given your current floor plan

I’d we switching places between the shower & the throne room

This gives the shower a bigger footprint
And the commode area less

Plus puts the toilet out of eye shot
If you want a semblance of privacy
Put up a wall / half wall that’d solid between the shower & toilet
Then the only person seeing the toilet is sitting in the tub

Or to make the most of the space ... look at a shower with a Frosted Glass Block Wall on the end wall ... to act as the space divider
Kind of like this
https://www.houzz.com/photos/dom-v-sovr ... p~55193979