• Mar 6th, 2022 11:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1027 posts
394 upvotes
North York

Bathroom Reno 2021-2022 prices

I know covid and inflation has jacked up all prices for materials and labour. That being said what are people paying for full bathroom Reno?

I have standard 5x8 bathroom and want to gut to studs and redo following:

- bathtub and glass door
- new tiling/
- plumbing
- vanity/toilet
- pot lights
- demo and discard garbage.

Just for Labour I’ve been Quoted $6500 to $10,000 and I pay for materials (another 5-7k)

What is something reasonable for labour based recent Reno’s?

Can anyone recommend someone in east end Toronto?

Appreciate it.
83 replies
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
The numbers you got are about right. If you want to really save the cost, you can probably do all the finishing materials in $2k. I'm talking about $1.99/sqft tiles, cheapest vanities/faucets from HD.

Note that what's included in "labor" can also vary a lot. Some contractors include installing new pot lights and fans (ceiling work). Most don't. The type of waterproofing materials used can vary. Some charge premium for Schlueter. I've also had "high end" contractors charge for things like paint, grout, outlets, etc. You just need to get detailed quote from multiple people and compare.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1885 posts
1601 upvotes
GTA
An old/before covid cost thrown around, was for GC/all trades to do a bathroom would be around $9k in labour. This is essentially just due to paying each trade to show up.

If you go with a one man show or handyman for the reno, it will be a lot cheaper, but may not be obeying everything.

Any specific reason you are going back to studs for the whole bathroom?
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1027 posts
394 upvotes
North York
My bathroom is 40yrs old, we moved in few years in hopes of renovating and time is now to do it all. Old house and a lot is needed and the bathroom is slowly deteriorating in front of our eyes. Plus I want to move door to make room for some built in cabinetry and remove drywall to add outlets and pit lights.

If I can I can do under 10k out the door I will.
Apr 29, 2007
79 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
We're going through this process and admittedly have a higher quote than expected but the contractor came referred and portfolio looks good. Not quite gut to studs but pretty close and also about 5 x 8
  • full demo, aside from some drywall
  • new Schluter shower w/ sliding glass door
  • tile install shower floor/wall + bathroom floor
  • pot lights + tie into shower exhaust
  • remove and install new toilet
  • move the vanity light up the wall
  • new baseboards + full paint
We procured the shower trim ($900), tile (~$1.1k), new toilet (~$200-300) and fixtures ($150) were quoted $11,400. Vanity to come later... tough to find one that fits the space... we'll take any recommendations.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1821 posts
415 upvotes
We are going through the same thing but I’m doing it my self. We still have the old cast iron tub from the 50’s, it’s been refurbished once , but now we are going to rip it out and replace it. Went to Home Depot and picked out a new tub, of course they were sold out, I checked online at other stores and those to were all sold out. I called HD and she said there is a shortage of resin so it will be a while when they get new tubs.
I did find one on line similar at Home Hardware, it’s a 3 week wait. So buy your supplies now and after start ripping.
If you have everything ripped out and need a tub you better buy what’s on the shelf now.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
I wonder what would be the cost to:
-remove old tiles -2 walls✔
-remove drywall and insulation -the same two walls + ceiling✔
-remove the old bath tub✔
-remove the old toilet✔
-relocate bath tub drain ✔
-reroute the plumbing for a sink from one wall to the other ✔
-remove a small separation wall between toilet sit and old sink/shower tub✔
-remove a small separation wall at the end of the tub that was creating a stupid niche there✔
-relocate an air vent ✔
-fix the furnace drain that is coming from across the hallway✔
-fix the vent for the bathroom fan (screwed up by whoever installed that)✔
-straighten the walls -crap work done by previous contractors)✔
-put back insulation + cement board + drywall on ceiling✔
-redguard the cement board✔
-install shower base✔
-install pot lights (had none before that) + separate them on two switches✔
-replace the old fan✔
-add humidity sensors+switch✔
-install drywall back on ceiling✔
-add power plugs for the new vanity and for the toilet/bidet✔
-install towel heater✔
-level the floor,✔
-12x24 tiles on the floor✔
-24x24 tiles on the wall✔
-install floating vanity+mirror
-install shower glass panels
-install vertical cabinet
-repaint two walls never touched

DIYing these wonder how much it would have cost it
Last edited by CuriousC on Dec 15th, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7132 posts
2746 upvotes
GTA
afshaikh wrote: My bathroom is 40yrs old, we moved in few years in hopes of renovating and time is now to do it all. Old house and a lot is needed and the bathroom is slowly deteriorating in front of our eyes. Plus I want to move door to make room for some built in cabinetry and remove drywall to add outlets and pit lights.

6500 labour quote you received sounds good with all work listed plus relocating the door etc IF the contractor does good work. Pony up another 2 thou or so and you have the quoted 5-7k in materials covered. Try to have it done all in for 10k and you will limit yourself to a lower end contractor.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7132 posts
2746 upvotes
GTA
CuriousC wrote: I wonder what would be the cost to:
-remove old tiles -2 walls✔
-remove drywall and insulation -the same two walls + ceiling✔

DIYing these wonder how much it would have cost it
Well, right off the top it costs far more to remove tile from drywall and then remove the drywall-if you let the demo proceed correctly the quote would be less. The other work, who knows without seeing. You could have had a kijiji guy who always wanted to try a reno out on his own after 10 years of mostly carrying in materials to job sites quote 1500 labour or a high end washroom reno company quote 20 thou.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4146 posts
1496 upvotes
Edmonton
afshaikh wrote: My bathroom is 40yrs old, we moved in few years in hopes of renovating and time is now to do it all. Old house and a lot is needed and the bathroom is slowly deteriorating in front of our eyes. Plus I want to move door to make room for some built in cabinetry and remove drywall to add outlets and pit lights.

then go and do it?

Materials is 5-7k as you quoted.
Labour - do it yourself and take your time, and its under 10k out the door.

there is absolutely nothing hard with this job.....
and get the permits(if required) too so your good to go
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
Zamboni wrote: Well, right off the top it costs far more to remove tile from drywall and then remove the drywall-if you let the demo proceed correctly the quote would be less. The other work, who knows without seeing. You could have had a kijiji guy who always wanted to try a reno out on his own after 10 years of mostly carrying in materials to job sites quote 1500 labour or a high end washroom reno company quote 20 thou.
Congrats you found the mistake in my post. Of course the tiles came out with the drywall but the walls were not tiled up to the ceiling.
Forgot to mention the floor tiles that hadto be removed. Would those come out withthe flooras well Grinning Face
Dec 21, 2020
354 posts
289 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: Congrats you found the mistake in my post. Of course the tiles came out with the drywall but the walls were not tiled up to the ceiling.
Forgot to mention the floor tiles that hadto be removed. Would those come out withthe flooras well Grinning Face
Believe it or not but YES. Depending on what kind of subfloor is under the tiles it would need to be removed as getting the thinset off the plywood is really hard and messy. Usually easier to just rip a layer of subfloor off than trying to scrape it clean.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1027 posts
394 upvotes
North York
I got quoted 7500 for labor alone, add another $1000 for Electrical and $6000 Supplies. I'm looking at a $15,000 bathroom :(

See below does it make sense?

Bathroom renovation

Demolition and garbage disposal $150.00 $850.00
Work area preparation and daily cleanup $50.00 $150.00
Material supply and delivery $200.00
New entry door installation and relocation $200.00 $300.00
New tub installation and plumbing $100.00 $350.00
Installation of new shower fixtures $100.00 $250.00
Densshield board installation 65sf $250.00 $300.00
Niche installation $450.00
Waterprofing joints $250.00
Tile installation on tub surround, trim 65sf $75.00 $850.00
Flooring tile instalation 44sf $550.00
New vanity installation including new faucets and drains $300.00
Single sink to double plumbing transition $150.00 $350.00
Wallpaper installation or paint $350.00
Baseboard installation and paint $50.00 $200.00
Toilet installation $25.00 $75.00
Two vanity mirrors installation $20.00 $50.00
Custom closet design and installation $500.00

*The price is for labour and all the materials and supplies for the project including:
Densshield Board, Baseboard and shoemold, Thin Set Mortar, Tile Edging, Plumbing supplies d/w, mud, tape
Tile leveling system, Grout, Silicone, Paint etc.

**Client supplies tiles, new vanity, tub, new fixtures for shower and vanity faucet

SUBTOTAL $1,170.00 $6,325.00
TOTAL $7,495.00 (Labour)
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
^ That seems a bit high but not outrageous at all.

Try misterbathroom. I didn't go with him but his quote was reasonable and he is very experienced and knowledgeable. Excluding the entry door relocation and custom closet, I think his quote will be right around $10k. This includes his standard Moen faucets, $2.5/sqft tiles, $550 vanity, $300 bathtub, etc. If you get better materials, you will pay the difference. Not sure how much extra he will charge for the two items I excluded though.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
So what is the average cost/sqft for tiling (large tiles 12x24 or 24x24) for walls and floors?
Can't say that the above estimate is clear for me, there is two numbers on each line ...is it min and max or per unit price and total cost
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
CuriousC wrote: So what is the average cost/sqft for tiling (large tiles 12x24 or 24x24) for walls and floors?
Can't say that the above estimate is clear for me, there is two numbers on each line ...is it min and max or per unit price and total cost
Are you talking about full wall tiles? Anyways, the estimate I got was about $10/sqft for the labor. No price difference until 24x24 and extra if I went bigger. This was based on putting on full tiles on whole bathroom walls.
Dec 20, 2020
114 posts
118 upvotes
afshaikh wrote: I got quoted 7500 for labor alone, add another $1000 for Electrical and $6000 Supplies. I'm looking at a $15,000 bathroom :(

See below does it make sense?

Bathroom renovation

Demolition and garbage disposal $150.00 $850.00
Work area preparation and daily cleanup $50.00 $150.00
Material supply and delivery $200.00
New entry door installation and relocation $200.00 $300.00
New tub installation and plumbing $100.00 $350.00
Installation of new shower fixtures $100.00 $250.00
Densshield board installation 65sf $250.00 $300.00
Niche installation $450.00
Waterprofing joints $250.00
Tile installation on tub surround, trim 65sf $75.00 $850.00
Flooring tile instalation 44sf $550.00
New vanity installation including new faucets and drains $300.00
Single sink to double plumbing transition $150.00 $350.00
Wallpaper installation or paint $350.00
Baseboard installation and paint $50.00 $200.00
Toilet installation $25.00 $75.00
Two vanity mirrors installation $20.00 $50.00
Custom closet design and installation $500.00

*The price is for labour and all the materials and supplies for the project including:
Densshield Board, Baseboard and shoemold, Thin Set Mortar, Tile Edging, Plumbing supplies d/w, mud, tape
Tile leveling system, Grout, Silicone, Paint etc.

**Client supplies tiles, new vanity, tub, new fixtures for shower and vanity faucet

SUBTOTAL $1,170.00 $6,325.00
TOTAL $7,495.00 (Labour)
At this price, you might as well do it yourself, or become the contractor and start calling people to do piece work. $7500 in labour is crazy.
but it's also a small job and no one wants small jobs.

The hardest part of this job will be the tiling - if you've never tiled before....
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
clutch31 wrote: Are you talking about full wall tiles? Anyways, the estimate I got was about $10/sqft for the labor. No price difference until 24x24 and extra if I went bigger. This was based on putting on full tiles on whole bathroom walls.
I have a 112sqf on two walls plus a floor that is 7x8 as well.. so roughly 160sqf so that is 1600CAD
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1027 posts
394 upvotes
North York
Never tried him before but will search him and get a quote.
clutch31 wrote: ^ That seems a bit high but not outrageous at all.

Try misterbathroom. I didn't go with him but his quote was reasonable and he is very experienced and knowledgeable. Excluding the entry door relocation and custom closet, I think his quote will be right around $10k. This includes his standard Moen faucets, $2.5/sqft tiles, $550 vanity, $300 bathtub, etc. If you get better materials, you will pay the difference. Not sure how much extra he will charge for the two items I excluded though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
1027 posts
394 upvotes
North York
I got another quote from Chinese contractor. Quoted me $6700 labour including electrical.

With materials I’m looking 12k out the door.

Not sure about craftsmanship but very competitive price. Only concern is language barrier does exist and I don’t think he to get lost in translation
sirex1gamer wrote: At this price, you might as well do it yourself, or become the contractor and start calling people to do piece work. $7500 in labour is crazy.
but it's also a small job and no one wants small jobs.

The hardest part of this job will be the tiling - if you've never tiled before....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)