Sep 18, 2012
388 posts
323 upvotes
BRAMPTON

Bathroom Reno

We have a 50sq foot washroom.

We are getting quotes for someone to do the following:
- Rip out tub
- re-tile the shower walls, ceiling and floor (after ripping out the tub)
- re-tile washroom floor
- Replace vanity
- add potlight to shower area

Once the above is complete, we will have someone come in and install a frameless glass shower door.

What do you guys think is a reasonable price for this job (not including materials and the installation of the glass shower door).

The quotes we are getting are all over the place and a lot higher than we thought.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1055 posts
387 upvotes
Toronto
parmalat wrote: We have a 50sq foot washroom.

We are getting quotes for someone to do the following:
- Rip out tub
- re-tile the shower walls, ceiling and floor (after ripping out the tub)
- re-tile washroom floor
- Replace vanity
- add potlight to shower area

Once the above is complete, we will have someone come in and install a frameless glass shower door.

What do you guys think is a reasonable price for this job (not including materials and the installation of the glass shower door).

The quotes we are getting are all over the place and a lot higher than we thought.
Why are you getting different people for tear down and install?
Sep 7, 2018
812 posts
842 upvotes
Welcome to contracting. Some people want to retire off one job, or they are too busy or uninterested to do it so they throw out a ridiculously high quote incase the homeowner is an idiot.

Not sure how handy you are, demo is a ton of labor $$ but requires low skill so it is very easy to do yourself and save a large chunk.
[OP]
Sep 18, 2012
388 posts
323 upvotes
BRAMPTON
ranjeet2000 wrote: Why are you getting different people for tear down and install?
Tear down and install is same person. Only thing seperate is the glass door vendor wants to measure and install custom glass themselves.
superscoots wrote: Welcome to contracting. Some people want to retire off one job, or they are too busy or uninterested to do it so they throw out a ridiculously high quote incase the homeowner is an idiot.

Not sure how handy you are, demo is a ton of labor $$ but requires low skill so it is very easy to do yourself and save a large chunk.
I've thought of doing the demo myself but am limited on time right now. The first guy said $15K for labour. The next guy wants $9K. I think both are a bit much as they've both said its a max 1 week job which works out to $150-$250 /hr.
Jun 26, 2019
796 posts
596 upvotes
parmalat wrote: I've thought of doing the demo myself but am limited on time right now. The first guy said $15K for labour. The next guy wants $9K. I think both are a bit much as they've both said its a max 1 week job which works out to $150-$250 /hr.
Unless your labor is needlessly complicated or super complex, both these guys are for sure high balling you. Move along...

Also, are these guys GCs or one (or a few) man shows?

Edit: Was assuming this would be a one man show or a smaller company. If its a GC getting all qualified trades for every job, I could see maybe 7-9k for everything. This would be mostly based on the min charges to just get every trade to show up for a small job.