• Aug 17th, 2020 1:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford

Bathroom Reno Layout

Were in the process of planning our new master bath renovation. We have your typical 5' x 9' bathroom with a walk-in closet next to it. The plan is to remove the wall between the bathroom and the closet and make it all bathroom. We have a large bedroom and I plan to do a nice reach-in style closet along one wall instead since we figure a larger bathroom will serve us better.

The plan on the right is a first draft, using the alcove from the old tub/shower to become just a shower with glass door, add a standalone tub and double vanity. I'll use a pocket door to save space from having a door opening into the space.

Is there anything wrong with the layout? Any better suggestions? Better to leave the walk-in for resale?

The plan is I will do all the work except for the tile shower and tile floor.
Images
  • bathroom.jpg
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5289 posts
3525 upvotes
Think twice before removing a walk-in closet... Walk-in closet are really wanted by home purchasers, and a must... we never have too much storage space in a house

Just think about how much time yuo spend everyday in your bathroom VS all the storage space needed in a house
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12166 posts
3470 upvotes
GTA
DoorCrasher wrote: Think twice before removing a walk-in closet... Walk-in closet are really wanted by home purchasers, and a must... we never have too much storage space in a house

100% agree. A walk-in closet can be a must-have for some buyers.

Just how large is your bedroom? Any possibility of relocating the walk-in by framing off another side of the room? I helped a buddy do just this a few years back but his master was massive, something like 20x30, which became 20x24 or so.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford
DoorCrasher wrote: Think twice before removing a walk-in closet... Walk-in closet are really wanted by home purchasers, and a must... we never have too much storage space in a house

Just think about how much time yuo spend everyday in your bathroom VS all the storage space needed in a house
Thanks for the input. I guess when we go through houses and see master baths they always have double vanities and room to move. I always assumed people want a large bathroom over a closet.
I guess for us we don’t have many clothes and our walk in closet is only half full, so we see it as a waste of space.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford
Hugh Jass wrote: 100% agree. A walk-in closet can be a must-have for some buyers.

Just how large is your bedroom? Any possibility of relocating the walk-in by framing off another side of the room? I helped a buddy do just this a few years back but his master was massive, something like 20x30, which became 20x24 or so.
Unfortunately our bedroom has 3 large windows and thus only one possible wall for a closet.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1177 posts
1019 upvotes
I agree with the others are saying. You will remove your walk in closet and decrease the bedroom size by adding a closet in it just ot have a larger bathroom? Most of the space in the bathroom is a waste anyway. This Reno doesn’t make sense to me from a resale standpoint.

Ask yourself, why do you want/need this reno?
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford
ProductGuy wrote: I agree with the others are saying. You will remove your walk in closet and decrease the bedroom size by adding a closet in it just ot have a larger bathroom? Most of the space in the bathroom is a waste anyway. This Reno doesn’t make sense to me from a resale standpoint.

Ask yourself, why do you want/need this reno?
The plan was to take a long wall in our bedroom and put in a 8ft long reach in closet with organizers.

I guess we just find it tight in the washroom in the morning with 2 people trying to get ready.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5289 posts
3525 upvotes
Topher86 wrote: The plan was to take a long wall in our bedroom and put in a 8ft long reach in closet with organizers.

I guess we just find it tight in the washroom in the morning with 2 people trying to get ready.
Our main bathroom is tiny. 8Ft X 9 Ft. One bath, one glass/ceramic shower, one toilet and one vanity with only one sink. Family of 4. Wixh I had a double sink, etc... but would never cut storage space to enlarge my bathroom. But that's me. Andd looks like that's others as well ;)
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford
Thank you for the input. I guess I just figured kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. Didn’t realize a walk in closet was as important.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5289 posts
3525 upvotes
Topher86 wrote: Thank you for the input. I guess I just figured kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. Didn’t realize a walk in closet was as important.
well it's up to you, your plan looks good if you don't mind cutting on storage space. But we are all talking about resale....
Aug 31, 2012
491 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
I think you should keep the walk-in closet. Most people expect it in a master suite. Do you need a separate tub and shower? If you move the toilet to the other wall then you can still add a double vanity (though it is not great to see it right when you open the door). I agree that it’s necessary and we added a double vanity when we reno’d the bathroom and it was a huge improvement. But I also use the walk-in closet for more than just clothes - filing cabinet, safe, personal papers etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1395 posts
498 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
How long do you plan on living there? If it is a long-term home of say 10+ years then I'd do whatever works for you. Who knows what buyers will want so far down the road.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2012
447 posts
163 upvotes
Bradford
icantfigureoutausername wrote: How long do you plan on living there? If it is a long-term home of say 10+ years then I'd do whatever works for you. Who knows what buyers will want so far down the road.
Minimum 5 years so I would rather not do something that hurts resale value. It isn’t necessarily our forever home.
Feb 16, 2017
498 posts
200 upvotes
are you planning to do laminate counter tops or quartz ?

i am getting laminate but just curious if its worth spending now and getting quartz if that increases resale value
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5289 posts
3525 upvotes
mattdominic wrote: are you planning to do laminate counter tops or quartz ?

i am getting laminate but just curious if its worth spending now and getting quartz if that increases resale value
I would not expect a quartz countertop in a bathroom to increase resale value at all. Ut just shows that it is higher quality, but IMHO have nothing to do with resale value. Not the counter top by itself.