• Jul 7th, 2020 2:31 pm
[OP]
Feb 26, 2006
117 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

Bathroom Reno:Single or Double Sink

Hi all

I have a 6.5 by 7.5 foot bathroom renovation coming up. It’s in an older century home that only has 1.5 bathrooms, making this our only full washroom. (We are planning another full washroom but down the line but $$$)

I’m wondering how many people would recommend putting in a double sink? The one I’m thinking of is the 40” ones from Ikea. I only have 46” to work with. Just thinking if we decide to move without putting in another bathroom, would this be a selling feature or not really?

The contractor has given a $2100 allowance for

Vanity
Tub
Toilet
Tiles
Vanity light

I have to purchase the shower trim kit separate out of the quote. How normal is this? Is this too low a budget? The total quote cost was $16,000 including taxes.

Please weigh in if you have any opinion! Would like to hear positive and negative. Anything helps. Thank you.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
Not sure which vanity/countertop you're looking at with IKEA, but we have a 60" vanity. We chose to put in a single sink, so we would have countertop space for all the crap that goes on a bathroom countertop. With only 40 to 46" of counter space, you may want to consider how it will be use. A vanity that has only sinks with no usable countertop space wouldn't be a selling feature to me.

C
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1964 posts
1698 upvotes
GTA
~sboardgurl~ wrote: I’m wondering how many people would recommend putting in a double sink? The one I’m thinking of is the 40” ones from Ikea. I only have 46” to work with. Just thinking if we decide to move without putting in another bathroom, would this be a selling feature or not really?

The contractor has given a $2100 allowance for

Vanity
Tub
Toilet
Tiles
Vanity light

I have to purchase the shower trim kit separate out of the quote. How normal is this? Is this too low a budget? The total quote cost was $16,000 including taxes.
I would only entertain a double sink vanity if I had at least a 60 inch vanity. Anything smaller and you're probably just crowding each other to get access to both sinks anyways.

With a $2100 budget for all those items you're probably looking at the lower-mid end of products, or just go with Ikea for everything.

A homeowner picking out their own fixtures can be very common, just depends on your contractor/plumber. Most contractors will just step out of the way, probably saves both parties time and money in lots of cases. Seeing as you're in Toronto, if you're close to Richmond Hill, I would recommend checking out Powell Plumbing Supply.

In terms of the quote, can't really comment without scope of work. As always, I'd recommend doing your homework and getting 3 quotes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5280 posts
2717 upvotes
Single sink if less than 5 feet of space.
We have a double sink in our main and I could count on my hand the number of times my wife and I were both using the sink at the same time
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
single, moreso if you have a smaller washroom area. IMO, you want at least 10ft of counter to put in a double.
Last edited by koffey on Jul 7th, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Feb 26, 2006
117 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
@SubjectivelyObjective Thanks for your reply. I did get a few quotes, all were similar in price and everyone quoted full gut of bathroom ect. I just thought they had larger allowances and this person I went with just changed the allowance on me last minute.

He had originally put

$1400 for sink vanity and toilet
$600 for tile
$100 for vanity fixture

Then when I questioned him about the budget as I’m picking out stuff now, he said the bath tub was supposed to be included in the $1400. Slightly annoyed because I’ve been looking at higher end stuff and now this crushes what I thought. If I go ikea though, it would work. But ikea... they do have a new 10 year warranty now on their bathroom stuff so maybe it’ll be fine.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
Not a bad allowance budget for what you need. $1400 will get you a tub/shower fixtures vanity and toilet. I got a deep soaker jetted tub, 4x8x2' from lowes on special order and it came out to $1200 after tax, $100 pay no tax event/15% off for a toilet and $200 for a vanity/sink setup. I wouldn't bother with ikea unless that have a sale on, where you get say $100 back for every $1000 spent. Your allowances can shift, esp since you're selecting the materials.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Feb 26, 2006
117 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Not a bad allowance budget for what you need. $1400 will get you a tub/shower fixtures vanity and toilet. I got a deep soaker jetted tub, 4x8x2' from lowes on special order and it came out to $1200 after tax, $100 pay no tax event/15% off for a toilet and $200 for a vanity/sink setup. I wouldn't bother with ikea unless that have a sale on, where you get say $100 back for every $1000 spent. Your allowances can shift, esp since you're selecting the materials.
Yea now he’s saying the tub to be included too with the $1400. . Thing is I was looking at overall cost and this guy was slightly more expensive than other quotes. So yea my allowance can change but I was looking at the final number and if I increase the allowance it’s more out of my pocket not his. Where did you get a $200 vanity??
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15502 posts
10121 upvotes
Toronto
~sboardgurl~ wrote: Yea now he’s saying the tub to be included too with the $1400. . Thing is I was looking at overall cost and this guy was slightly more expensive than other quotes. So yea my allowance can change but I was looking at the final number and if I increase the allowance it’s more out of my pocket not his. Where did you get a $200 vanity??
Tubs.

https://tubs.com/

But you don't have to increase the allowance. If the person is saying that you have $600 for tile and you only spend $500, you can put that extra $100 into the vanity fixture.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Feb 26, 2006
117 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
koffey wrote: Tubs.

https://tubs.com/

But you don't have to increase the allowance. If the person is saying that you have $600 for tile and you only spend $500, you can put that extra $100 into the vanity fixture.
Ok got it. Thank youSmiling Face With Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)